don't click here

WINDOWS 7 IS THE BEST THING EVER

Print

Author Topic: WINDOWS 7 IS THE BEST THING EVER  (Read 42947 times)

Offline Taco

• If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC: NintenDan
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/nintendan
WINDOWS 7 IS THE BEST THING EVER
« on: February 11, 2009, 03:52:32 am »
too bad I can't access the site while using it (since it's unregistered tehnically)

srsly guyz, this stuff is awesome. I hate vista so much but I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE Windows 7. Everything runs better, it doesn't take up as much processing power as silly vista, AND its got cool sets of desktop images that like change every 5 minutes to a set theme!

so screw vista and xp, and definitely screw gerbil and his silly linux!

Go download and beta test Windows 7 NAO!

oh wait, actually I just checked the site and they closed the download to the public...but you should still try and find a way to obtain it....somehow. IT IS MOST DEFININGLYINGLY WORTH EVERYTHING EVER MADE EVER!

Offline Eis Makai

• The Icy Coyote
  • TSC: Iceman
  • winvista msie7
  • An icy coyote! Or is it ;)
    • View Profile
    • www.lavadomefive.com/forum
Re: WINDOWS 7 IS THE BEST THING EVER
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 08:39:58 am »
i heard of Windows 7. Wasn't that originally called Windows Mojave? Well isn't the beta version out now, but the real version doesn't come out for another 9 months! Can you show us what it looks like for those who never heard of it.
Eis Makai is the Icy Coyote. Sumaru Star is the Ice Dragon. I own the Ice Planet!

Offline Magnezone

• Broseidon
  • TSC: SkyLights
  • win7 firefox
  • YOU CAN PROBABLY READ MY POSTS BETTER NOW
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 10:57:57 am »
unfortunately for microsoft i have touched linux for more than 2 minutes and that was long enough to realize how much i was suffering

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 12:02:57 pm »
i heard of Windows 7. Wasn't that originally called Windows Mojave? Well isn't the beta version out now, but the real version doesn't come out for another 9 months! Can you show us what it looks like for those who never heard of it.
Mojave was a rebranding of Vista to try and show that people's negative perceptions were unfair, and it's true.  A fresh, fully-patched install of Vista is pretty comparable all-round to Win7.  7 has better gadgets, slightly improved UAC and quicker startup time, but performance, third party support, driver models - the things that matter to me - are the same.

The reason 7 will be lauded and Vista reviled has much more to do with the passage of time.  At launch, Vista drivers were shaky, apps were broken and performance wasn't terrific - now those things are fixed (or as much as they will be in 7 as well), the only thing left is the "zomg vista sucks" mindset imprinted on people.  That's what 7 is for, really - it strikes me as today's Win98 SE.

Personally I'm still happy with my custom stripped-down version of XP/Ubuntu dual boot (and it's amazing how much more productive I am in Ubuntu with it's betterness and without Football Manager!).  I'll upgrade when I have a compelling reason to (and if/when I bother with kde for windows, that may well be never).

My 2 cents, YMMV.
This topic has now been officially won by me.  Never mind, you might do better next time!
www.douglasgresham.co.uk - it's in the intarwebs, it must be true!

Offline P.P.A.

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 12:52:02 pm »
THESE IMAGES CONFISCATED FOR EVIDENCE

My YouTube profile. Lots of Sonic speedruns~

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Former admin, lucid dreamer, lover of burgers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 01:36:29 pm »
too bad I can't access the site while using it (since it's unregistered tehnically)

Get any browser except IE so that you can set it to Vista compatibility mode, and you can get here. That's what I'm doing with Firefox and 7 at the moment, anyway. :P

oh wait, actually I just checked the site and they closed the download to the public...but you should still try and find a way to obtain it....somehow. IT IS MOST DEFININGLYINGLY WORTH EVERYTHING EVER MADE EVER!

Yeah, the public download was until February 10th, and the beta expires August 1st. I'm running 7 on a wimpy 10 GB partition, but I love it and will likely allot more space for it.
<RPGnutter> Well I think your reasoning was dumb, so you get sassed
<RPGnutter> Thats how it works

Offline Selphos

• The Eternally Young Scarlet Moon
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Sondow
  • win10 firefox
  • TSC's local Touhou nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 06:21:04 pm »

I believe that is a perfect example of people simply hating Vista for no real reason at this point.

Also, the irony in PPA posting a godwin is thick enough to cut with a chef's knife
The moon is so red. Looks like it's going to be a fun night.

Offline P.P.A.

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 06:23:39 pm »

I believe that is a perfect example of people simply hating Vista for no real reason at this point.

Also, the irony in PPA posting a godwin is thick enough to cut with a chef's knife
My last name is Adolphs, I'm German and I can actually imitate Hitler quite well. FFFFFFFF

Offline Selphos

• Broseidon
  • win10 firefox
  • TSC's local Touhou nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 06:33:10 pm »
My point exactly.

coughnazicough

Offline P.P.A.

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 06:35:22 pm »
Plus I kind of have similar ideas to his when it comes to representative architecture (huge and intimidating). I don't share his taste for Roman styled buildings however. Well, and neither that whole anti-Semitism thing, of course.

EDIT: Oh, and yeah, that copy of Mein Kampf I have lying around, which used to belong to my late great-grandfather. THIS IS ALL VERY BAD
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 09:21:22 am by P.P.A. »

Offline Magnezone

• Broseidon
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 09:17:18 pm »
My reason for hating Vista is it worked my out-of-the-box computer so much for no reason for the 9 months I had it, even when I turned off a ton of the crap it came with. I am pretty sure it blew up my video card as google spoke to me that Vista would use some other driver instead of the official nvidia drivers that it was supposed to be using in the first place, in which I then learned how something about SP1 made nvidia's drivers quite forsaken when it came to my computer. After my hard drive broke two months later, I decided that was a pretty good opportunity to rid my life of Windows Vista.

Thus, Ubuntu with Windows XP if I need it. >_>

Offline Selphos

• Broseidon
  • win10 firefox
  • TSC's local Touhou nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2009, 09:23:33 pm »
How exactly does one get ubuntu while still having a windows OS on it?

Relatedly one of the primary reasons I don't want ubuntu is because you all know I'm a gaming freak and from my experience, many MMOs and emulators and such don't work properly on most linux builds >__>

Offline Magnezone

• Broseidon
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2009, 09:26:02 pm »
How exactly does one get ubuntu while still having a windows OS on it?

Relatedly one of the primary reasons I don't want ubuntu is because you all know I'm a gaming freak and from my experience, many MMOs and emulators and such don't work properly on most linux builds >__>
http://www.virtualbox.org/ + copy of windows xp = windows in a prison

Offline EngiNerd

• Most Sarcastic Member of the Year
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
  • Hydrowhut
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2009, 08:40:48 am »
http://www.virtualbox.org/ + copy of windows xp = windows in a prison
Or a partitioned dual-boot, or VMWare, or WINE, or so forth....
Im in ur TSCz, climin ur chartz!
My presssioussss....

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2009, 03:04:20 pm »
Necessary bump for the release candidate.

Also, if you're interested and don't care to abandon TSC for the next year, my last post will likely be helpful.

EDIT: See next post.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 03:10:02 pm by Thorn »

Offline Rolken

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2009, 03:09:09 pm »
Gerbil said he's taken that Win7 check off.

Also there's a Ubuntu installer that works from within Windows, dual boots and plays nicely in general. I think it's called Wubi? Maybe.

Also as a Vista user I am interested in this Win7 thing but I think I will wait until others describe their experience with it :(
StH JJ1 WkS+ Sal++^i Rbk++i Knu- McS+++ P++ D[af]opw $++++ E03 A24 GM CoUT
What fun is it being cool if you can't wear a sombrero?

Offline MK

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2009, 03:11:15 pm »
Windows 7 is the best soda ever made.
Emeralds:

Offline Crowbar

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2009, 07:50:53 pm »
The release of the RC is nicely timed for me as I will finally be getting a new computer within the next couple of weeks, and not having to pay for an OS means I can spend more on parts.

I haven't tried it myself, yet, but I've heard nowt but good things about the beta so hopefully the RC will be even better.

Offline Nextgengamer9

• old
  • TSC: 457
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2009, 08:11:44 pm »

Offline Crowbar

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2009, 07:09:49 pm »
So I have my new computer with Windows 7 now.

Overally it seems pretty good so far but one major flaw is that I can't use anything but 4x3 display resolutions!

Windows updates, driver updates, and even downloading an application to force it have all achieved nothing. Not that I expect it but does anyone have any ideas? Monitor is a Samsung 2232BW and GFX is ATI Radeon HD4770.

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2009, 07:13:15 pm »
^ Unfortunately all I can tell you is what you've already done: check the manufacturer's website for your graphics card and double-check that there aren't drivers you could download. The same thing happened to me back with the Windows 7 Beta, but grabbing the drivers for my NVidia GeForce Go 6150 (lol old laptop) fixed it.

This does remind me that I should grab the Windows 7 Release Candidate now. I'm just not sure if I'd have problems getting the touchscreen working on another OS.

Offline Crowbar

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2009, 07:40:24 pm »
Yeah, sadly this seems to be something that people get alot (even in Vista, actually). Argh. Given my profession it's pretty fucking stupid.

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
  • I am a follower of the immortal Dark Falz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2009, 08:22:40 pm »
a lot of people say that W7 is better than Vista, and I can easily see that being true...

but is W7 better than XP?  (Also, when my box broke about a year ago, I picked up Knoppix (which allowed me to actually boot the computer, as windows was having problems with a busted HDD), installed another HDD I had laying around, stuck Ubuntu on it and LOVED it.  I was only a little sad that the computer wasn't powerful enough for what I needed it for, and as such, on this box, I'm running XP.

I'll have dual-boot set up once I get a new box, but sadly, I'm not sure when that'll be...

OSS FOREVER!
Year 33 — The Malkavians claim that their greatest practical joke happened during this year, when they perform a bit of graverobbing  in Jerusalem.
-- Vampire: The Masquerade

Offline Crowbar

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2009, 09:22:18 pm »
FUCKING FIXED IT YES
Found some random forum post that suggested manually pointing it to the driver file on the CD and it worked! My new computer is now FULLY GLORIOUS
Specs because I just that chuffed that I actually put this together today and it actually works and now I FINALLY don't have to put up with a gimped computer anymore like I have been for the past 4 years!
InteL Core i7 920 2.66Ghz (I will OC this when I feel the need and have the confidence).
6gb DDR3 1600mhz Corsair RAM (this is technically incompatible with the motherboard as it doesn show up under the Computer properties, but it's definitely performing)
Radeon HD 4770 graphics
Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4 motherboard
1TB Samsung Spinpoint HD (was going to get a Raptor for OS drive but they're not actually any faster than this)
Antec Truepower New 650W PSU
Old Sony DVD RW drive I took from a spare dinosaur computer
All in an Antec 300 case

Awesome. It's amazing just being able to watch HD Youtube videos!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 09:30:26 pm by Crowbar »

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2009, 04:31:26 am »
a lot of people say that W7 is better than Vista, and I can easily see that being true...

but is W7 better than XP?  (Also, when my box broke about a year ago, I picked up Knoppix (which allowed me to actually boot the computer, as windows was having problems with a busted HDD), installed another HDD I had laying around, stuck Ubuntu on it and LOVED it.  I was only a little sad that the computer wasn't powerful enough for what I needed it for, and as such, on this box, I'm running XP.

I'll have dual-boot set up once I get a new box, but sadly, I'm not sure when that'll be...

OSS FOREVER!
The RC is definitely better than Windows XP.  I'm now running the 64 bit RC full time, and although my graphics card driver is crashing more than I like (not taking the whole machine with it ftw, user-space drivers at last!) - in-app performance comparable to XP (unlike Vista when it came out), boot time/general responsiveness is excellent, Aero Peek is a really neat feature, UAC is done properly this time, etc etc.

Yes, Linux has done most of that for a long, long time, and I work almost exclusively in Ubuntu, and 7 is essentially a polished version of Vista, but it's at a point where it's an easy choice for me to ditch XP.

Edit: forgot to mention that the taskbar model is the best one out there bar none, and this comes from a serious Gnome fanboi.
This topic has now been officially won by me.  Never mind, you might do better next time!
www.douglasgresham.co.uk - it's in the intarwebs, it must be true!

Offline Crowbar

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2009, 09:21:51 am »
Also I'm actually really impressed by how fast it shuts down, lol. Takes literally seconds.

One thing to note about Windows 7 is that it's actually specifically designed to work well on low-spec systems (e.g. netbooks) too, so even if your computer's ancient you should consider at least giving it a go.

On a side note, does anybody know how to make the Start Menu Programs rollout behave like it did before?

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
  • I am a follower of the immortal Dark Falz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2009, 08:13:33 pm »
I may look into it.  I really need a new graphics card before any real nonsense happens.

and coming from a gnome fanboy, huh?  seems pretty good, on just that

I need more stuffs, because the lack of stuffs makes me a little sad...
Year 33 — The Malkavians claim that their greatest practical joke happened during this year, when they perform a bit of graverobbing  in Jerusalem.
-- Vampire: The Masquerade

Offline Crowbar

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2009, 10:01:53 pm »
Okay, one thing I've found: using wireless internet is an absolute nightmare, at least on the 64-bit version. I was able to get my RALink card to work with alot of fiddling, but trying to use torrents will COMPLETELY freeze my computer, and after a few rounds of this I had to actually reinstall the OS from the disk.

I found out that it was the card so I'm using an ethernet cable through my window to the router downstairs (though I now can't even reinstall the drivers for the card). However, several hours of Google reveals that people having been having these problems since Vista 64-bit. Basically, NOBODY FUCKING MAKES RELIABLE 64BIT DRIVERS FOR PCI WIRELESS CARDS!!!!

Currently wondering if my housemates would mind an ethernet cable snaking round the entire house. Or wondering if a wireless bridge would work.

None of this will mean anything to you if you're not in a situation where you need to use wireless, or plan to use the 32-bit version, but there it is.

Offline GerbilSoft

• Architect of the Matrix
  • TSC Profile
  • linux firefox
  • RickRotate'd.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2009, 10:17:48 pm »
Basically, NOBODY FUCKING MAKES RELIABLE 64BIT DRIVERS FOR PCI WIRELESS CARDS!!!!
Linux wireless drivers work reliably on 64-bit. :)

Offline Crowbar

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2009, 06:34:53 am »
Hush you.

I'm still not ready to be that much of a nerd yet.

Print

Hits: 555 | Hits This Month: 4 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.29 MB | Time: 0.08s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.