don't click here

WINDOWS 7 IS THE BEST THING EVER

Print

Author Topic: WINDOWS 7 IS THE BEST THING EVER  (Read 42949 times)

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
  • I am a follower of the immortal Dark Falz!
    • View Profile
Re: WINDOWS 7 IS THE BEST THING EVER
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2009, 03:31:28 pm »
I have to agree with Gerbil here >_>

I highly recommend dual-boot, and I'm seriously considering running dual-boot if for nothing more than an improved connection due to more efficient drivers, because my windows drivers are just generic drivers, and my wireless card is capable of so much more.

I'd have something like this for torrents and the like, of course,
Year 33 — The Malkavians claim that their greatest practical joke happened during this year, when they perform a bit of graverobbing  in Jerusalem.
-- Vampire: The Masquerade

Offline Crowbar

« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2009, 09:57:02 pm »
I already hooked up a wired connection so fu lol

Anyway, while I'm sure dual boot is great for some people I am far, far too impatient for shit like that, and OS emulators/virtualboxes.

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2009, 08:48:34 am »
I would swap before I head to bed, and use it to check my universe (read: E-mail, YT, TSC, SDA, TASVideos, Backloggery, and Mayatut boards) before switching back to Windows for gaming.
Year 33 — The Malkavians claim that their greatest practical joke happened during this year, when they perform a bit of graverobbing  in Jerusalem.

Offline Crowbar

« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2009, 01:15:47 pm »
My attention span while using a computer is far too short for that. I switch around what I'm doing alot. I'd want to check forums or email quickly after a short while.

Proof of this is in the fact that I originally started typing out that reply, then got bored and closed the window.

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2009, 10:13:23 am »
Totally writing this post while in Firefox in Ubuntu.

Regardless, I find it kinda sad that I can't find a way to fix so many of the problems of the universe, even when running Linux...

Offline EngiNerd

• Most Sarcastic Member of the Year
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
  • Hydrowhut
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2009, 12:32:52 pm »
I know this is old, but I still wanted to say it:
Basically, NOBODY FUCKING MAKES RELIABLE 64BIT DRIVERS FOR PCI WIRELESS CARDS!!!!
Linux wireless drivers work reliably on 64-bit. :)
Hey GS!  Ever consider getting a tablet?
Im in ur TSCz, climin ur chartz!
My presssioussss....

Offline DsSaster

• TSC's KevinTurtle
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: DarkspinesSonic
  • win10 chrome
  • HURRY UP DAMMIT!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2009, 08:54:35 am »
WINDOWS 7 ROX MY SOX!!! BECAUSE I NO LONGER HAVE VISTA!!!!!!!!!!
I am the champion of TSC! >:D 

Championships held:  Sonic 3D Blast, Sonic Adventure (DX), Sonic Heroes, Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Chaos, Sonic Drift, Sonic Drift 2, Sonic Riders, Sonic the Fighters, Sonic Battle, Sonic Unleashed (ps2/Wii), Sonic Unleashed (ps3/360), Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing, Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, Sonic Colors (Wii), Sonic Rivals, Sonic Generations.

Zero Point Championships held:  Sonic Drift, Sonic Drift 2, Sonic Chaos, Sonic Battle, Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed.

I like my speed runs like my steaks...UNFINISHED!!!

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2009, 09:02:27 am »
Upgraded to Windows 7 and downgraded the same day due to a multitude of issues with the common apps I run.

Decided the better option was to run a dual-boot (see my last post) with XP and the most recent Ubuntu, building great reliability, regardless of what I'm doing.

DirectX is the industry standard for gaming on PC since Blizz picked it up for Diablo 1.  Linux doesn't have proper Direct X stuff... yet... but once they do, Microsloth dies.

On the other hand, Ubuntu has the power and compatibility I need so that I can wreak havoc in what little Highspeed connection I have.

Until something does both, Dual-boot works for me ^_^

Offline Crowbar

« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2009, 09:38:31 am »
What apps, exactly?

Despite my problems with wireless internet, I've had very little trouble with any applications.
TBH, judging from my own research into and experience on the matter, any problems you had may well date back to Vista. Windows 7 is compatible with almost anything Vista is.
Also 32-bit or 64-bit?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 09:46:50 am by Crowbar »

Offline EngiNerd

• Most Sarcastic Member of the Year
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
  • Hydrowhut
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2009, 08:43:32 pm »
Linux doesn't have proper Direct X stuff... yet... but once they do, Microsloth dies.
WRONG
Moar liek, teh industry needs to grow a few more brain cells and realize that OpenGL >>> DirectX in, I dunno, pretty much every possible way.  And it would definitely make programming a bit easier....
Im in ur TSCz, climin ur chartz!
My presssioussss....

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2009, 12:39:54 am »
What apps, exactly?

Despite my problems with wireless internet, I've had very little trouble with any applications.
TBH, judging from my own research into and experience on the matter, any problems you had may well date back to Vista. Windows 7 is compatible with almost anything Vista is.
Also 32-bit or 64-bit?

Uh... yeah... duh.

32-bit Ubuntu

And I would never touch vista... I was testing if W7 was better than XP... and guess what?

for me, it's not even close... XP > W7 because older stuff doesn't run on W7/Vista...

whatd'ya know...  W7 has the same problems as Vista, for me!

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Former admin, lucid dreamer, lover of burgers
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2009, 12:42:44 am »
^ You should look into the virtual XP that'll be coming with high-end 7 editions, then...?
<RPGnutter> Well I think your reasoning was dumb, so you get sassed
<RPGnutter> Thats how it works

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Former admin, lucid dreamer, lover of burgers
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2009, 11:53:59 am »
Necessary bump.

Yesterday, the XP/Vista discount upgrade program began. Many places are cutting people a huge discount on Windows 7 Home Premium and Professional if they purchase within a limited time (through July 11th, I believe). It's $50 for Home Premium ($70 discount), $100 for Professional ($100 discount), and most places offer free shipping on both.

Best Buy's pre-order page
NewEgg's pre-order page

Windows 7 will be released on October 22, a good ways away from now, but seeing how cheap they are on pre-order, it's worth looking at now.

...my god, I sound like one of the spammers we just banned. :P
<RPGnutter> Well I think your reasoning was dumb, so you get sassed
<RPGnutter> Thats how it works

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2009, 07:15:37 pm »
^ You should look into the virtual XP that'll be coming with high-end 7 editions, then...?

If thing A works, and thing B emulates thing A, but thing B does things that are directly wasteful, and thing B costs more + has setup time, why get thing B?

Offline Crowbar

« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2009, 03:35:08 pm »
Because support for XP will fade over time, and sticking with anything outdated simply because you refuse to change is just silly.

Windows 7 doesn't do anything "wasteful" compared to XP. In fact, it has many new or improved features, some of which are incredibly useful (I seriously don't know how I coped without the new taskbar, Start Menu, and Libraries). You just don't know any of them because you're refusing to try it.

Print

Hits: 742 | Hits This Month: 2 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.08 MB | Time: 0.09s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.