don't click here

Hey, remember when Sonic R was fun?

Print

Author Topic: Hey, remember when Sonic R was fun?  (Read 77110 times)

Offline P.P.A.

« on: January 16, 2009, 06:59:20 am »
When people actually played and competed in it? The rivalries between Groudon, Bertin and me, when Kmacc came and beat us all in fully honest and genuine competition? Ahh, good times...

I wish they could return one day.
THESE IMAGES CONFISCATED FOR EVIDENCE

My YouTube profile. Lots of Sonic speedruns~

Offline yse

• Thrower of Gauntlets
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC: mike89
  • win10 chrome
  • Constitutions written: 1 and counting
    • View Profile
Re: Hey, remember when Sonic R was fun?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 07:01:20 am »
Oh, and just when I thought you'd gotten the hint too. Damn.

<3 Thorn.

Offline fastnaturedude

• Potential for Anything
  • TSC: Cyan Ryan
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 08:57:52 am »
Quote from: PPA
No.

Offline Selphos

• The Eternally Young Scarlet Moon
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Sondow
  • win10 firefox
  • TSC's local Touhou nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 09:13:33 am »
Honestly I would like normal Sonic R too, but meh.
The moon is so red. Looks like it's going to be a fun night.

Offline Alondite

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 11:12:09 am »
I'd have to agree.  I used to enjoy Sonic R competition because it was one of (if not the) most pure competition on TSC, but no longer.

Offline Stefan

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 11:33:52 am »
Quick idea: You continue playing SR the natural way?

Offline Groudon

• 1 hour, 39 minutes, 52 seconds
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Groudon199
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 11:34:00 am »
I also agree.  I liked at least trying to compete in Sonic R.  Closest thing the game had to a glitch route used to be Radical City in Reverse.  Now, the entire game is more or less full of glitch routes.

Offline Alondite

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 11:41:27 am »

Well yeah, I can, but it's not worth competing if you're not glitching, because you won't be competitive.

Offline DsSaster

• TSC's KevinTurtle
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: DarkspinesSonic
  • win10 chrome
  • HURRY UP DAMMIT!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 12:22:54 pm »
Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait............Sonic R was fun? *shot*
I am the champion of TSC! >:D 

Championships held:  Sonic 3D Blast, Sonic Adventure (DX), Sonic Heroes, Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Chaos, Sonic Drift, Sonic Drift 2, Sonic Riders, Sonic the Fighters, Sonic Battle, Sonic Unleashed (ps2/Wii), Sonic Unleashed (ps3/360), Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing, Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, Sonic Colors (Wii), Sonic Rivals, Sonic Generations.

Zero Point Championships held:  Sonic Drift, Sonic Drift 2, Sonic Chaos, Sonic Battle, Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed.

I like my speed runs like my steaks...UNFINISHED!!!

Offline P.P.A.

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 02:55:54 pm »
I would if it was at least remotely productive concerning the charts.

No.
Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait............Sonic R was fun? *shot*
* P.P.A. shoot Dhaos and Kitsune for having a terrible taste.
* P.P.A. shoots Dhaos again for fun.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 03:30:27 pm by P.P.A. »

Offline Parax

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 03:24:48 pm »

Well yeah, I can, but it's not worth competing if you're not glitching, because you won't be competitive.

So compete not to get to the top of the charts but against other people who play the normal way. >_>

Offline Alondite

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2009, 03:26:49 pm »

So compete not to get to the top of the charts but against other people who play the normal way. >_>

But as a rule, people compete to show skill and try to become the best, so how many people are willingly going to compete in a manner that won't get them high ranks? Why race for 2nd place? (or worse)

Offline Parax

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2009, 03:31:47 pm »
The same people who refuse to compete at all to do what it takes to get the highest ranks. From what I've heard you can still get red in SR without glitching, and the way TSC's set up you can compete with anyone on the charts, not just the top times, so if you have an objection to the way the top times were achieved there's no reason you can't compete for the best non-glitched time.

Offline Shadow Jacky

• -Proprietor of /d/-
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • BEHOLD!
    • View Profile
    • I streams when on windows
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2009, 03:50:01 pm »
why is this brought up?
my name has nothing to do with Shadow The Hedgehog

Completed Runs:
Sonic Heroes: Team Sonic: SS
Rocket Knight Adventures: Easy (US): SS

In the Future:
Aero The Acrobat (Genesis) | More...

Offline bertin

• TSC's weeaboo
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 chrome
  • おっとの早苗
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2009, 03:57:26 pm »
I also agree.  I liked at least trying to compete in Sonic R.  Closest thing the game had to a glitch route used to be Radical City in Reverse.  Now, the entire game is more or less full of glitch routes.

Man I don't even mess with Sonic R anymore because of the glitches. Same reason I don't mess with Sonic 06. All you mainly do is break through a wall and spin in circles...whoever does that the fastest wins....now tell me....you think that is worth playing or competing?

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
  • I am a follower of the immortal Dark Falz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2009, 05:46:01 pm »
This has come up a lot, recently...  I think it's kinda funny.

Alondite, you don't really try in anything here, so I'm honestly curious as to why you're so bent-out-of-shape?

Bertin deserves his credit for taking FZFA in SR for non-glitched, and while I think that's awesome, it's not an effective way of getting ultra-low stats.

The only way I can think it unfair is if you don't know the glitches...
Year 33 — The Malkavians claim that their greatest practical joke happened during this year, when they perform a bit of graverobbing  in Jerusalem.
-- Vampire: The Masquerade

Offline Kmacc

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2009, 12:57:32 pm »
I still keep track of all of my non-glitch PRs, and still try to lower those times despite the fact that they won't help at all on the charts. :)

Offline Alondite

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2009, 01:55:23 pm »
The same people who refuse to compete at all to do what it takes to get the highest ranks. From what I've heard you can still get red in SR without glitching, and the way TSC's set up you can compete with anyone on the charts, not just the top times, so if you have an objection to the way the top times were achieved there's no reason you can't compete for the best non-glitched time.

Except we don't have charts for non-glitching, so your times get lost among those who glitch poorly, or those who play the level well non-glitching.

To answer your question Aita, I'm busy most of the time, and have other games I would rather play when I can.  I  I don't care to glitch because it saps every ounce of fun from the game, and why compete if you aren't enjoying yourself.  It's not like Track & Field where you can compete for the sole purpose of getting in good physical condition, even if you aren't racing to win.  What benefits do you gain from not competing for 1st in video games? None. You waste your time, and I for one don't think it's worth it.  I play video games for fun, and glitching is not at all fun to me because it takes out all the enjoyable aspects of the game design, and quite frankly, competing in video games is pointless if you aren't enjoying yourself. 

Offline Parax

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2009, 01:59:52 pm »
Except we don't have charts for non-glitching, so your times get lost among [...] those who play the level well non-glitching.

But anyway, I meant a smaller competition between a few people. Like in the case of this topic, Groudon, bertin, and PPA could compete to try to top each other instead of the charts. >_>

Offline Ring Rush

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2009, 03:52:50 pm »
*parts edited out*
I  I don't care to glitch because it saps every ounce of fun from the game, and why compete if you aren't enjoying yourself.  What benefits do you gain from not competing for 1st in video games? None. You waste your time, and I for one don't think it's worth it.  I play video games for fun, and glitching is not at all fun to me because it takes out all the enjoyable aspects of the game design, and quite frankly, competing in video games is pointless if you aren't enjoying yourself. 

The line "What benefits do you gain from not competing for 1st in video games?" shows that you compete for acheivement. If you competed solely for fun, as you say in the first line, then it wouldn't matter if you get 1st or 40th on the chart. This post contradicts itself.

Basically, if you solely care about fun, you shouldn't care that you aren't on top of the chart. If you care about topping the chart, than fun shouldn't be prioritized over speed.
Current Championships: SSR (5/26/08-Now)
Current Leaderships: SSR Chains [0 Point], SC Rings [0 Point], SSR Scores [0 Point], S3D Rings [0 Point], SSR Times, SSR Bosses
Past Leaderships: SA2 Rings, S1GG Rings, SUWii Rings, SBK Times, SBK Chains, SRA Rings, SRA Scores

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2009, 04:42:10 pm »
You guys can just go beat my SR times, I used to be Champ you know!
Did you not think I had a mind?

Offline Alondite

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2009, 07:06:55 pm »
*parts edited out*
I  I don't care to glitch because it saps every ounce of fun from the game, and why compete if you aren't enjoying yourself.  What benefits do you gain from not competing for 1st in video games? None. You waste your time, and I for one don't think it's worth it.  I play video games for fun, and glitching is not at all fun to me because it takes out all the enjoyable aspects of the game design, and quite frankly, competing in video games is pointless if you aren't enjoying yourself. 

The line "What benefits do you gain from not competing for 1st in video games?" shows that you compete for acheivement. If you competed solely for fun, as you say in the first line, then it wouldn't matter if you get 1st or 40th on the chart. This post contradicts itself.

Basically, if you solely care about fun, you shouldn't care that you aren't on top of the chart. If you care about topping the chart, than fun shouldn't be prioritized over speed.

Wow, how typical of a response.  Is it possible that you can compete for achievement AND have fun?  I guess that thought never crossed your mind.  Fact is, competing can be fun, but placing poorly after a lot of practice and hard work simply because you choose not to glitch is not fun.  I was fully prepared for this answer, given that so many people lack the ability to read into things beyond the obvious.

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2009, 07:37:23 pm »
...Can anyone explain how these Sonic R OOB tricks are any different from Balloon Park?

Offline Groudon

• 1 hour, 39 minutes, 52 seconds
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Groudon199
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2009, 07:49:31 pm »
...Can anyone explain how these Sonic R OOB tricks are any different from Balloon Park?

Balloon Park is one level.  These OoB tricks exist (and save time) on every track in Sonic R.

Offline Parax

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2009, 07:50:22 pm »
I think he means why is Balloon Park banned when the Sonic R tricks aren't.

« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2009, 08:05:04 pm »
Right... it's because balloon park is a single level, while the OOB tricks in Sonic R are an entire game.
That doesn't explain why Balloon Park is banned.

Edit: Also, "it affects the entire game" would be more reason to ban it honestly...
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 10:31:04 pm by Miles9999 »

Offline Stefan

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2009, 10:28:48 am »
The general agreement was that balloon park comes down to a single jump before all skill is taken out of the question. The shortcut in balloon park demolishes the concept of skill by making the leader the fastest at a jump. Sonic R still has skill involved once breaking out of bounds, as the leaderboards to this day show.

Anyway, I agree that the two levels are similar, which is why there was intended to be discussion for reinstituting balloon part, That never happened.

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2009, 10:35:11 am »
The general agreement was that balloon park comes down to a single jump before all skill is taken out of the question.

http://www.soniccenter.org/rankings/sonic_cd/times/collision_chaos_3/acts

BP is barely different from that heh
Did you not think I had a mind?

Offline fastnaturedude

• Potential for Anything
  • TSC: Cyan Ryan
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2009, 11:04:49 am »
Quote from: Alondite
What benefits do you gain from not competing for 1st in video games?

Well, I'm not that good at Sonic. I rarely get first place, and when I do, it's a tie. I don't compete for first. I compete because I love TSC. :<

Offline P.P.A.

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2009, 02:07:20 pm »
I do (or did. Would still, if I wasn't so lazy.) enjoy competing in Sonic CD aiming to get to rank 3 in most of the charts, knowing that I will most likely never reach the skill level of maggot and Sprint. However I could look up to them and accept their superiority because they honestly got those records by investing a lot of time and sweat into them and because they possess speedrunning abilities far beyond mine.
Competing in a chart knowing you'll never reach the first place because the leader(s) are doing nothing but run around in tiny circles outside of the level isn't very motivating though.

Print

Hits: 196 | Hits This Month: 1 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.36 MB | Time: 0.21s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.