don't click here

Hey, remember when Sonic R was fun?

Print

Author Topic: Hey, remember when Sonic R was fun?  (Read 77112 times)

Offline Stefan

Re: Hey, remember when Sonic R was fun?
« Reply #60 on: February 01, 2009, 10:46:02 am »
We draw that "arbitrary line" at glitches that remove competitive value. If a glitch resets the timer, regardless of how well a player played, then it's a bannable glitch. If a glitch provides for infinite score, then it's a bannable glitch. If a glitch is still going to leave the better players on top, it is allowable.

I also think it's silly how you're telling me not to be frustrated over a video game; I'm not a part of the party who is continually making topics saying "glitches are ruining this for me :(". If it's just a video game, and you're quick to tell me that, why do you care what our charts are like? Clearly video games are a little more than a novel pastime at TSC; this site is built around competitive sonic playing. We are going to take video games a little more seriously.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 08:26:00 am by Stefan »

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
  • I am a follower of the immortal Dark Falz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 01, 2009, 11:11:34 am »
  Your response for one is what is amusing, and the fact that you are taking this seriously enough for it to be "seriously frustrating."  It's a video game, and it's not even one you want to compete in. 

We pride ourselves on being some of the best in the world...  I suppose you don't look at it this way, for a number of reasons, but, there's something rather amazing about being able to call yourself the best in the world at anything...

I bet there are more people who would be interested in pure competition than submitting on the freestyle boards.

It's not that we don't encourage pure competition, it's that we don't reward it...  There are other places that do.
Year 33 — The Malkavians claim that their greatest practical joke happened during this year, when they perform a bit of graverobbing  in Jerusalem.
-- Vampire: The Masquerade

Offline EngiNerd

• Most Sarcastic Member of the Year
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
  • Hydrowhut
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 01, 2009, 04:11:34 pm »
I say remove the Sonic R charts completely.  It's obvious that nobody cares about them that much.
Im in ur TSCz, climin ur chartz!
My presssioussss....

Offline P.P.A.

« Reply #63 on: February 01, 2009, 05:07:39 pm »
Most Sarcastic Member of the Year indeed.
THESE IMAGES CONFISCATED FOR EVIDENCE

My YouTube profile. Lots of Sonic speedruns~

Offline Alexrd

« Reply #64 on: February 21, 2009, 05:54:08 am »
Why not compete again? I would be glad to try to beat your times with no glitches...

Sonic R FTW

« Reply #65 on: February 24, 2009, 11:08:07 pm »
Well, I'll start competing in the Sonic R times and such. [I did win first, with, Tails Doll? once.]

Offline Kmacc

« Reply #66 on: March 01, 2009, 05:54:35 pm »
Please please please attempt to beat my non-glitch times. If you need it I guess I could get a list together of my times based on old ones I had on this site. I've beaten some I'm sure but I haven't always recorded all my records, so if I find the correct memory card I can get a more updated list.

Offline Alondite

« Reply #67 on: March 02, 2009, 04:23:57 pm »
It seems like there are a fair number of people who want to play Sonic R glitch-free (myself included).  Personally I think we should have some kind of a vote in favor of overhauling the rules for the game to maybe give it some competitive value again.

Offline Kmacc

« Reply #68 on: March 02, 2009, 04:55:41 pm »
I don't think it's going to be changed on the site no matter how many people petition it. That doesn't mean we can't compete though. We just need some other outside ranking, like a thread for it or something.

Offline Stefan

« Reply #69 on: March 02, 2009, 05:42:25 pm »
It seems like there are a fair number of people who want to play Sonic R glitch-free (myself included).  Personally I think we should have some kind of a vote in favor of overhauling the rules for the game to maybe give it some competitive value again.

I'll say it for what's probably the fourtieth time.

You can still submit your no glitch times.

Offline Alondite

« Reply #70 on: March 02, 2009, 07:53:39 pm »
But if the point is to be competitive, and the non-glitch times are not competitive, then what's the point?  It's like racing a top fuel dragster with a Hyundai Tiburon.  Sure, you get to race, but you have zero chance of winning. Seriously, why are you so against anti-glitch competition?

Offline Antronach

« Reply #71 on: March 02, 2009, 08:20:37 pm »
Add a freestyle bracket that allows glitches.
Quote from: Emma Lover
Solution? Live with it.

Offline Stefan

« Reply #72 on: March 02, 2009, 09:28:44 pm »
But if the point is to be competitive, and the non-glitch times are not competitive, then what's the point?  It's like racing a top fuel dragster with a Hyundai Tiburon.  Sure, you get to race, but you have zero chance of winning. Seriously, why are you so against anti-glitch competition?
'

That doesn't mean you disallow dragsters to make it fair for the hyundai owner.

Most charts have only one or two (out of forty) glitch stats. That leaves positions 3-40 to be filled by those who want to use a more "legitimate" way. I'd hardly say there isn't reward in getting third place. If that's what you think, then you're quite the perfectionist. I'm thrilled with third place stats.

And I think there's a distinction you can't get out of your head. I am not against anti-glitch competition. If you guys want to make your own forum to compete, I have no problem with that. If you want to use TSC's charts as a medium for the competition (even though you won't get 1st place), I have no problem with that. You guys are -just- as allowed to compete as the glitch users. What I -am- against is disallowing glitches. And if you're really questioning why that is, you haven't been reading any of my posts for months.

As for adding freestyle, it's a nonoption. Nobody plays freestyle. As I've said before, freestyle is a high-bandwidth way to delete a chart.

Offline Rolken

« Reply #73 on: March 02, 2009, 09:42:32 pm »
The glitched times will always be the 'real' charts. If there was actually demand for parallel unglitchy charts, it would go in freestyle or maybe even a separate "game" with its own overalls, but either option would be splitting the competition and probably only viable with some method of automatically submitting times to both sets of rankings at once when applicable, and I don't see sufficient demand for glitchless charts to justify doing that.
StH JJ1 WkS+ Sal++^i Rbk++i Knu- McS+++ P++ D[af]opw $++++ E03 A24 GM CoUT
What fun is it being cool if you can't wear a sombrero?

Offline Selphos

• The Eternally Young Scarlet Moon
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Sondow
  • win10 firefox
  • TSC's local Touhou nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 02, 2009, 10:50:44 pm »
So, allow me to bring up another constantly put down idea that sounds more reasonable.

Why isn't Olympics on TSC?
The moon is so red. Looks like it's going to be a fun night.

Offline P.P.A.

« Reply #75 on: March 03, 2009, 08:20:51 am »
SONIC PINBALL PARTY
THESE IMAGES CONFISCATED FOR EVIDENCE

My YouTube profile. Lots of Sonic speedruns~

Offline Selphos

• The Eternally Young Scarlet Moon
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Sondow
  • win10 firefox
  • TSC's local Touhou nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 03, 2009, 06:51:19 pm »
PPA I believe the point you missed is that Olympics is actually submittable to TSC >_>

Surely we would all love to play a boring repetitive sonic pinball game for the next three years to get TEH HIGH SCORE!
The moon is so red. Looks like it's going to be a fun night.

Offline magnum12

• Awesome Overlord of TMMC
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 03, 2009, 07:55:49 pm »
The glitched times will always be the 'real' charts. If there was actually demand for parallel unglitchy charts, it would go in freestyle or maybe even a separate "game" with its own overalls, but either option would be splitting the competition and probably only viable with some method of automatically submitting times to both sets of rankings at once when applicable, and I don't see sufficient demand for glitchless charts to justify doing that.

Dood, I've mentioned the idea of "glitchless" charts at least a year ago. (I was probably the first person to come up with the idea.) Though I despise Sonic R, the idea of glitchless charts for other games is one that I could see revitalizing competition on the whole, especially for 3d Sonic games.
Ever know what its like to get pwned by a book? Sonic certainly does.

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 03, 2009, 09:18:52 pm »
'
That doesn't mean you disallow dragsters to make it fair for the hyundai owner.

Truer words hath never been spoken...

Also, I have a new GameFAQs Quote ^_^
Year 33 — The Malkavians claim that their greatest practical joke happened during this year, when they perform a bit of graverobbing  in Jerusalem.

Offline Parax

« Reply #79 on: March 03, 2009, 09:43:23 pm »
You still run into the same issues like having to figure out where to draw the line at what is and is not a glitch.

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 04, 2009, 01:01:36 am »
You still run into the same issues like having to figure out where to draw the line at what is and is not a glitch.

There is a fairly good definition here, though...

until it gets broken again ^_^

Offline magnum12

• Awesome Overlord of TMMC
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 04, 2009, 01:47:47 am »
Here's a few clear cut definitions of glitchces.

1. Any and all cases of passing through a wall or ceiling
2. Permanent freezing of the clock.
3. Exploitation of obviously glitched game play mechanics. An example of this is in gems (06). We all know the power gauge is defective, not going down when it should. Of course this example becomes null and void the moment a patch that fixes the gauge occurs.
Ever know what its like to get pwned by a book? Sonic certainly does.

Offline Stefan

« Reply #82 on: March 04, 2009, 07:47:03 am »
Your definition falls apart with that last one. The last one isn't a glitch definition; "obviously glitched" becomes another arbitrary distinction that people disagree on. Knuckles's superglide is obviously glitched to me, while Alondite will argue it's just a game mechanic.

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 04, 2009, 03:25:32 pm »
Your definition falls apart with that last one. The last one isn't a glitch definition; "obviously glitched" becomes another arbitrary distinction that people disagree on. Knuckles's superglide is obviously glitched to me, while Alondite will argue it's just a game mechanic.

DLJ/ULJ/OLJ
SDJ
so on and so forth...  they're "obviously glitched", IMNSHO, but I fully support their ability ^_^

Offline Kmacc

« Reply #84 on: March 05, 2009, 11:00:15 am »
We don't need to fight over what we think glitches are. The people that run TSC know what a glitch is, and its up to them whether or not they want to make a separate chart or something for non-glitch times.

Personally, I don't care how it gets done. Whether there's a separate chart, or we have to keep track of the competition separately. I just want people to actually compete. I have no reason to play right now because nobody else will.

Even if you guys are fighting over this stuff, you could still play. Because regardless of what happens, we'll still be keeping track of non-glitch times in some form, so get out there and make some records!

If this helps give people a reason to at least play, here are my non-glitch records (from the site at least, I know I have better times on a few though):

Resort Island
GP 3lap: 44"20
GP flap: 12"90
TA 3lap: 44"60
TA flap: 14"40
Reverse 3lap: 44"96
Reverse flap: 14"63

Radical City
GP 3lap: 1'09"63 (Almost positive I have a better run here)
GP flap: 21"26 (I think I actually have sub 21 here)
TA 3lap: 1'16"20 (I think I have 1'14 here now lol)
TA flap: 24"96 (iirc I have 24"3x now)
Reverse 3lap: 58"30 (Think I have 57"xx)
Reverse flap: 19"16 (Prob beat this like every other RC time xD)

Regal Ruin
GP 3lap: 51"46
GP flap: 15"93 (May have beaten)
TA 3lap: 53"63
TA flap: 17"30 (Possibly beat)
Reverse 3lap: 1'02"06 (n00b time, never played this seriously)
Reverse flap: 19"86 (Same as above)

Reactive Factory
GP 3lap: 1'06"36
GP flap: 20"73
TA 3lap: 1'09"96
TA flap: 23"00 (Probably have better)
Reverse 3lap: 1'01"90
Reverse flap: 20"36 (I think my 20"13 on the site I went through the wall with, not sure)

Radiant Emerald
GP 3lap: 1'52"50
GP flap: 32"36 (Have 30"40 with Metal Knuckles but that requires flying through a wall..)
TA 3lap: 2'07"20 (Possibly beaten)
TA flap: 41"43
Reverse 3lap: 2'10"40 (I know for sure I have at least 2'08 here though)
Reverse flap: 42"66 (Probably have sub 42)

Now go beat these records! :)

Offline Alondite

« Reply #85 on: March 05, 2009, 03:35:25 pm »
Well, I don't presently have Sonic CD right now, but if and when I ever get it back I'll probably do a bit of competing.

Offline Etch

« Reply #86 on: March 06, 2009, 01:59:23 am »
Quote from: PPA
Hey, remember when Sonic R was fun?
No.

^this

Let this shit die, lol.

Stefan makes good points, I don't see why you guys think there is nothing competitive in landing some of those shortcuts.  When I came here, stuff on RC and RR was already allowed so I naturally assumed we were going for the fastest times possible.  I don't care if anyone else is having fun, it's about pushing the game to the max.  Due to the skill involved after hitting the shortcuts, I know a lot of the times can be dropped more.  Some of them are not that hard to get so I don't know what is stopping people, lol.  There are only a few places where you need some serious luck but there are ways to maximize your chance to fall through.

It's hard to play non-sc because of the tendency to just fall through walls.

Kmacc you scrub, you know I can only give you a fair fight.  No one is stopping you guys from just improving your times without glitches so if it is so much fun then what is exactly stopping you from mastering the game to some degree.  I need to look no farther than RE TA 3lap, anyone who knows what they are doing should get near 2'06-2'08 area, lol.

This game was poorly designed and as such, was easily exploited! >:]

Offline Rolken

« Reply #87 on: March 09, 2009, 10:59:39 am »

Dood, I've mentioned the idea of "glitchless" charts at least a year ago. (I was probably the first person to come up with the idea.) Though I despise Sonic R, the idea of glitchless charts for other games is one that I could see revitalizing competition on the whole, especially for 3d Sonic games.
By 'demand' I meant more than a couple people...
StH JJ1 WkS+ Sal++^i Rbk++i Knu- McS+++ P++ D[af]opw $++++ E03 A24 GM CoUT
What fun is it being cool if you can't wear a sombrero?

Print

Hits: 748 | Hits This Month: 2 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.32 MB | Time: 0.11s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.