don't click here

Hey, remember when Sonic R was fun?

Print

Author Topic: Hey, remember when Sonic R was fun?  (Read 77295 times)

Offline Kmacc

Re: Hey, remember when Sonic R was fun?
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2009, 04:19:51 pm »
If enough people really wanted to, I'm sure there's a way we could keep track of at least the records that don't involve OOB.

Offline Alondite

« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2009, 01:27:35 am »
I would jump on that boat for EVERY game on the site, not just Sonic R.  Like, have charts for non-glitching, in addition to the other charts. 

Offline F-Man

« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2009, 01:57:51 am »
If enough people really wanted to, I'm sure there's a way we could keep track of at least the records that don't involve OOB.
Sounds like the SDA.

Offline yse

• Thrower of Gauntlets
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC: mike89
  • win10 chrome
  • Constitutions written: 1 and counting
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2009, 06:19:21 am »
Sounds like the SDA.

Not any more! Even they have realised that if the game allows you to do it, it's fair, and have allowed OOB in submissions.

<3 Thorn.

Offline Kmacc

« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2009, 02:23:51 am »
Well I'm sure someone can organize something, it doesn't even have to be official or anything. Just something to keep track of any non-glitch records amongst whoever wants to participate.

Offline Selphos

• The Eternally Young Scarlet Moon
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Sondow
  • win10 firefox
  • TSC's local Touhou nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2009, 02:25:24 am »
If nothing else, we could just have a forum topic for it.
* Pidgey points to RR's old misc SA2 competition topic
The moon is so red. Looks like it's going to be a fun night.

Offline Kmacc

« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2009, 02:42:46 am »
That'd work too. I'd try to make something out of it myself but I wouldn't know where to start. I can always try to help though so if anyone has any ideas, let me know. :)

Offline F-Man

« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2009, 01:40:12 pm »
Sounds like the SDA.

Not any more! Even they have realised that if the game allows you to do it, it's fair, and have allowed OOB in submissions.
Quote from: SDA rules
when the OOB, clipping, or warping glitches let you skip large chunks of the game, including whole stages, such as Metroid Prime's secret worlds or Castlevania: Circle of the Moon's summon warp, then it will be a separate category.
I think my comment still stands.

Offline Rolken

« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2009, 06:17:06 pm »
There's always freestyle!

*snicker*
StH JJ1 WkS+ Sal++^i Rbk++i Knu- McS+++ P++ D[af]opw $++++ E03 A24 GM CoUT
What fun is it being cool if you can't wear a sombrero?

Offline Alondite

« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2009, 12:40:48 pm »
Possibly tighten up the SR rules for the main charts and save all the OOB and other such hax for the freestyle boards?

Offline Selphos

• Broseidon
  • win10 firefox
  • TSC's local Touhou nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2009, 01:21:42 pm »
While that does sound correct, if we were to actually go through with this they'd probably just leave it and put the nonhax on freestyle so people don't have to resubmit :/

Offline Alondite

« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2009, 01:40:55 pm »
Put nonhax on freestyle? That doesn't make much sense.  Shouldn't it be the other way around?

Offline Selphos

• Broseidon
  • win10 firefox
  • TSC's local Touhou nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2009, 01:44:01 pm »
Exactly, but people aren't going to like having to resub an entire chart because we finally decided to listen to (many) people pleading to restore order.

Offline P.P.A.

« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2009, 02:15:54 pm »
I personally wouldn't mind.
THESE IMAGES CONFISCATED FOR EVIDENCE

My YouTube profile. Lots of Sonic speedruns~

Offline Selphos

• Broseidon
  • win10 firefox
  • TSC's local Touhou nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2009, 02:19:05 pm »
That's because you're perpetuating this. I'm talking about other random people that don't spend a lot of time on TSC.

Maybe there's a way to move stats from Time to Freestyle? Rolk? SM? Gerbil?

Offline P.P.A.

« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2009, 02:25:25 pm »
That's because you're perpetuating this. I'm talking about other random people that don't spend a lot of time on TSC.

Maybe there's a way to move stats from Time to Freestyle? Rolk? SM? Gerbil?
The people at the bottom of the charts who never play the game have never played Sonic R with glitches anyway, so their stats can stay. And the one with glitch stats almost all support the removal of them, so they probably wouldn't mind having to resubmit their old ones if that could make it happen.

Offline Selphos

• Broseidon
  • win10 firefox
  • TSC's local Touhou nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2009, 02:27:29 pm »
:/
I guess whatever works works and whatever doesn't doesn't.

The revival of Sonic R might be just what I need to kick myself back into gear for competition actually

Offline P.P.A.

« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2009, 02:28:56 pm »
Same here in fact. Even though it will still have a much lower priority than it used to, compared to other things~

Offline Selphos

• Broseidon
  • win10 firefox
  • TSC's local Touhou nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2009, 02:30:56 pm »
Like your new online relationship?

(yeah I realize you just left, I can wait)

Offline Selphos

• Broseidon
  • win10 firefox
  • TSC's local Touhou nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2009, 03:07:41 pm »
Okay I just thought of something that could mean a lot to this debate.

Think guys. Imagine this, no matter how unlikely or impossible it may be:

Imagine a glitch is discovered in SA2(B). This glitch makes it so that in any level with a Goal ring or point, you can reach it in seconds via a certain chain of commands (something like DsS's SU360 glitch). This effectively neutralizes competition for anything besides bosses or hunting missions. Would you ban the technique?

Offline F-Man

« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2009, 06:54:17 pm »
Imagine a glitch is discovered in SA2(B). This glitch makes it so that in any level with a Goal ring or point, you can reach it in seconds via a certain chain of commands (something like DsS's SU360 glitch). This effectively neutralizes competition for anything besides bosses or hunting missions. Would you ban the technique?
No. Of course, this would assume that levels in SA2 turn around on themselves, like a racing game (Sonic R). And in that case, this would have been found even before TSC was created. It would be history.

Offline Selphos

• Broseidon
  • win10 firefox
  • TSC's local Touhou nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2009, 07:08:35 pm »
No, I don't mean as in a racing game looping around, I mean performing a complex but easy glitch that is possible in every level, that instantly finishes the level. Would you ban that? Why or why not?

And let's say it was just found, so it wouldn't be history. What then?

Offline Alondite

« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2009, 10:26:51 pm »
Going back a bit:  The people who don't hang around TSC too much will probably not even know that their stats have been nuked if in fact the charts can't be moved.  I wouldn't mind resubmitting at all, even though my stats aren't glitch stats anyway >_>.

Offline Stefan

« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2009, 11:30:19 pm »
I think it's important to point out that you can't put out a hypothetical situation whose solution depends entirely on the details, and then tell us to "forget how unpractical a situation is".

Are we talking a chain of button commands that, regardless of level design, causes sonic to warp to the goal ring? Are we talking about a glitch that ends up being a major OOB shortcut that's found in every level?

You are trying to posit that there is some glitch that, by means of complex button pressing glitches, finishes the sa2 level.

I can't just -throw- out details, they are crucial to the answer. Since it is impractical for this to be anything except a glitch that, according to no use of sonic mechanics, finishes the level instantly, I'd have to say it would probably be banned. This glitch would have no competitive value, and, despite the parallels you're trying to fabricate, would be a very different case from sonic r.

Offline F-Man

« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2009, 12:17:11 am »
I think it's important to point out that you can't put out a hypothetical situation whose solution depends entirely on the details, and then tell us to "forget how unpractical a situation is".
I was hoping you'd come in and put into words this exact statement.

Offline Selphos

• Broseidon
  • win10 firefox
  • TSC's local Touhou nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2009, 04:05:58 pm »
Ok yeah forget it, I was busy being a noob yesterday and not using logic >_>

Offline Kmacc

« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2009, 02:11:51 pm »
Bleh, I don't even care whether it goes onto the official charts or not. I just want people to give me competition on my non-glitch times. Nobody is very close to a lot of my times... If I needed to make more vids to help people with strats I would be more than willing, I'd just need a good quality camera.

I want people making it hard for me to get records!

Offline Alondite

« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2009, 02:33:21 pm »
  I'm most amused by WHO is supporting glitching, as opposed to why. 

Offline Stefan

« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2009, 03:08:10 pm »
Are you saying I have no business arbitrating competition in Sonic R? Or do you think I'm amusing for some other reason? Or was that not directed at me? If not, who was it directed at?

Don't make vague statements that could be interpreted as personal attacks, especially when this is a battle of logical reasoning. If you can't beat the pro-glitchers using arguments, don't resort to "you pro-glitchers amuse me". We have provided arguments with substance, several times. If you have a reasonable retaliation, let's hear it. Otherwise, stop whining about how unfun glitching is. You are NOT required to do it. You can easily compete amongst yourselves without glitching. TSC charts are meant for the fastest times, and if you don't personally agree with the rules of the TSC charts, don't compete on them. Make your own charts. Or do compete on the TSC charts, and keep your personal glitchless integrity intact.

This argument is seriously frustrating.

Offline Alondite

« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2009, 10:18:56 am »
  Your response for one is what is amusing, and the fact that you are taking this seriously enough for it to be "seriously frustrating."  It's a video game, and it's not even one you want to compete in.  Here's what I want to know: If TSC if for the fastest times period, then why is ANYTHING banned? If glitching is allowed, why not allow anything if it means getting the best scores/times, etc?  Where do we draw that arbitrary line and why?  It's ok for some glitching to be allowed and some not to be?  I thought we go for the absolute best here, not "the best within a certain set of rules." I think that there's enough interest in "pure" competition to warrant separate boards for it.  I bet there are more people who would be interested in pure competition than submitting on the freestyle boards.

Print

Hits: 887 | Hits This Month: 2 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.20 MB | Time: 0.06s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.