don't click here

soo...

Print

Author Topic: soo...  (Read 6848 times)

Offline Gnome77

soo...
« on: July 29, 2008, 10:03:34 pm »
soo... i just finished a single segment run in sonic the hedgehog 2 for genesis, and i came to the conclusion that IL runs pretty much mean shit all? Now correct me if i'm wrong here; but a SS run is obviously much harder than individual runs. I have only seen two SS runs in sonic 2 and one was by Suzaku and the other was by Stanski, and both were pretty impressive to my understanding. So unless you can string together a decent single segement run in this game, you're pretty much not good. I mean it's easy to memorize Stanski's routes and load save state after save state until you get a good time, but its hard to perfrom under pressure and finish each level without dying and doing it as fast as possible in order to do a single segement that would be anywhere near the record time.
Anyways in conclusion many of the times in sonic 2 according to the stats are much faster than Suzaku but yet he still seems to put together a pretty sick SS run. So maybe some people should step up to the plate, including me...

Offline Waxwings

Re: soo...
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 10:38:08 pm »
IL's mean a whole lot, even if they don't mean as much as an SS. Just because people haven't bothered SS'ing the game doesn't mean they can't kick ass.

Offline Ring Rush

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 10:38:14 pm »
"I mean it's easy to memorize Stanski's routes and load save state after save state until you get a good time, but its hard to perfrom under pressure and finish each level without dying and doing it as fast as possible in order to do a single segement that would be anywhere near the record time. "

Last time I checked, you don't have the record in every individual level. How can you say they are easy when you can't even do them yourself? When you become champ of Sonic 2 I may consider your argument that individual levels are not a show of skill.

Also, beat the SDA speedrun of SA2. Then beat Paragod's City Escape 1. Tell me which takes longer.
Current Championships: SSR (5/26/08-Now)
Current Leaderships: SSR Chains [0 Point], SC Rings [0 Point], SSR Scores [0 Point], S3D Rings [0 Point], SSR Times, SSR Bosses
Past Leaderships: SA2 Rings, S1GG Rings, SUWii Rings, SBK Times, SBK Chains, SRA Rings, SRA Scores

Offline Shadow Jacky

• -Proprietor of /d/-
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • BEHOLD!
    • View Profile
    • I streams when on windows
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 10:51:42 pm »
not to mention all of the BS that comes with even a IL run of any kind.  sonic games involve luck, not a lot, but its there.  doing a SS of any of these games while applying every IL strat...good luck.
my name has nothing to do with Shadow The Hedgehog

Completed Runs:
Sonic Heroes: Team Sonic: SS
Rocket Knight Adventures: Easy (US): SS

In the Future:
Aero The Acrobat (Genesis) | More...

Offline Gnome77

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 11:12:14 pm »
Everybody chill, last i checked i didn't have any of the IL records either, but thanks for pointing out the obvious ring rush ;] Secondly, im not taking anything away from an IL run, just saying that it is easier than a SS run, i think everyone here can agree on that. But an IL run on sonic 2 is also very short, and a SS run is like, what, 18-24 minutes if your good and you dont mess up. If have played sonic 2 as much as i have and as much as other people have then you would understand that it is quite simple to speed run an IL, but very difficult to perfect it. And it is very difficult to speed run an SS, but nearly impossible to perfect it. thats all im saying. I see some people on TSC with stats that are very good, but those stats dont mean much if you cant put together a SS. Play sonic 2 then think about it.

Offline Stefan

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 11:27:46 am »
My argument is really that -no- stats mean much. nobody, except those on this site, really care if you can play a level fast or not. Single segment runs are very difficult, yes. I don't think anyone's trying to dispute that. But you are trying to make the argument that our individual level times are poor when, well, they really aren't so. As you may notice, stanski's IL times are so good because, well, his run is so good. He's exceptional at the game, and it's probably almost impossible for anyone else to beat his il times or ss run.

They measure different things. Single segment runs attempt to show consistency at the expence of perfection, and individual level runs want to show ideal circumstances at the expense of repeatability.

Basically, our times are -not- terrible in the slightest. They are done with different goals, and are no less well performed with those goals in mind.

And what do you mean loading savestate after savestate?

Offline Combo

• THE CHAMP
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Here and there.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 03:02:55 pm »
I dont have any single segment because I have crappy recording items =(. Its not hard to have a good SS time. Except for the last boss . Its a bitch @_@, no rings and risky as hell hits.
PM me for Discord info!
https://www.twitch.tv/combo_blaze
Playing:
Super Smash Brothers 64 - Look out for Combo Blaze on Kaillera!
Civilization V, Oldschool Runescape, Ragnarok Online (iRO), Touhou games.

Offline Rolken

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 04:08:16 pm »
I see some people on TSC with stats that are very good, but those stats dont mean much if you cant put together a SS. Play sonic 2 then think about it.

Wait, you mean you only play sonic 2 and then restart it if you screw up? Oh please. If you don't play every sonic game in order, single segment, your sonic 2 times don't mean a thing. Think about it.
StH JJ1 WkS+ Sal++^i Rbk++i Knu- McS+++ P++ D[af]opw $++++ E03 A24 GM CoUT
What fun is it being cool if you can't wear a sombrero?

Print

Hits: 518 | Hits This Month: 2 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.05 MB | Time: 0.12s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.