don't click here

A shocking gaming related confession.

Print

Author Topic: A shocking gaming related confession.  (Read 15687 times)

Offline magnum12

• Awesome Overlord of TMMC
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
A shocking gaming related confession.
« on: June 14, 2008, 05:58:40 pm »
I have a confession to make. A rather shocking one at that. I  hate the Ghouls and Ghosts series. I know they're supposed to be a land mark series, but there's some things about them that I just can't stand. Now, I love a hard game, but this series is hard for all the WRONG reasons, namely the bad controls. This is the core reason why I hate this series. The jumping controls are some of the most broken, crippled controls I've seen in a major game series. Most of my deaths in this game come by sole virtue of how crappy and clumsy these controls are. This wouldn't be so much of a problem if the game didn't abuse your limitations so frequently. The best way to avoid dying or getting hit durinig situations that require a jump is to simply memorize the area and the timing rather than tactically fight and evade your enemy, a big case of trial and error game play indeed. Compared to the razor sharp controls of a Mario, Mega Man, or Metroid game (games that were out at the same time as this series), the jump controls are simply unacceptable. As my last point, think about this question. Would the game be as frustrating if it had the same good controls as a Mario, Mega Man, or Metroid game?

I do however, enjoy Maximo, the spiritual successor to Ghouls and Ghosts a lot.
Ever know what its like to get pwned by a book? Sonic certainly does.

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
Re: A shocking gaming related confession.
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 08:10:25 pm »
That sounds an awful lot like how I feel about Halo.

(we'll not mention the fact I haven't played g&g kthx >_>)
This topic has now been officially won by me.  Never mind, you might do better next time!
www.douglasgresham.co.uk - it's in the intarwebs, it must be true!

Offline Crowbar

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 04:51:53 am »
Let's turn this into a general gaming confessions thread.

I've tried to play FFVI about 5 or 6 times and I always get bored around the time Terra turns into an Esper, thus I have never finished it.

Offline P.P.A.

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 06:37:54 am »
I can't beat Yggdra Union and am such a pussy that I'm waiting for the easier PSP version.

;_;

Aside from that, I always play games at least on Normal though.
THESE IMAGES CONFISCATED FOR EVIDENCE

My YouTube profile. Lots of Sonic speedruns~

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 07:27:33 am »
I have tried to play FF7 many times but it does not draw me in and I always get bored, though I once stuck it out to the beginning of disc 2 because I deluded myself into thinking it was worth slogging through just to fight the boss battles (I <3 rpg boss fights :( ).
Did you not think I had a mind?

Offline magnum12

• Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 10:24:37 pm »
Let's turn this into a general gaming confessions thread.
*spoilers ahead*

I've tried to play FFVI about 5 or 6 times and I always get bored around the time Terra turns into an Esper, thus I have never finished it.
Yeah, the "find Terra" story arc is one of the more boring sections of FFVI's story. The story really starts to pick up during the "Imperial Capital" arc (starts with the famous opera scene and ends after completing the Esper Cave). Then you get to one of the tougher dungeons in the story (floating island) which has a boss fight you can kill by depleting his MP, then Kefka's defining moment of evil, then the awesome world of ruin (after you get the airship, the first part is a bit boring). Just watch out for the boss that stalks you while you fly.

I have a more embarassing confession. I can't beat Death in the original Castlevania. I can beat all his other forms (Castlevania 2-4, LoI, SOTN, RoB, and the hand held forms), just not his original incarnation. At least I can beat Air Man. *Reference to an internet meme.*

Offline Shadow Jacky

• -Proprietor of /d/-
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • BEHOLD!
    • View Profile
    • I streams when on windows
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 04:14:33 am »
lets see...

-I never owned a RPG and don't plan on buying one ever.  I do admit I have demoed a couple in the past and would have liked to play more, but never gotten the urge to purchase whatever I was playing.  Nowadays I don't care for RPGs.

-I've owned Gameday 98' (yeah I know a sports title, by it was my mother's decision that I'd try it)

-as much as I don't like others cheating in games nowadays (I have my reasons if you want to call them valid), I used to do it a lot when I was younger >_>

-I don't get wtf is so damn special about "GoldenEye".  Seriously, can someone explain this?  This can go with "wtf is so damn special about" Halo as well.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 03:33:35 am by Shadow Jacky »
my name has nothing to do with Shadow The Hedgehog

Completed Runs:
Sonic Heroes: Team Sonic: SS
Rocket Knight Adventures: Easy (US): SS

In the Future:
Aero The Acrobat (Genesis) | More...

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 09:11:11 am »
Likewise for me and Goldeneye. And FF7. And SMW (to a degree). And SSB. >_>

Offline Stefan

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 10:16:36 am »
Oooh, this will be great.

I cannot stand rpgs. They are boring and too dependent on exploration. I want to be playing the game, not finding where I play.

Likewise, i can't play Metroid Prime or the Zelda series. It again relates to the fact that I like playing the game. Stories and hour long expeditions aren't as important to me as shooting stuff, so the games are really terrible with me.

In general, I don't care for stories in games. I blast through campaign modes so I can play the game, which is what I consider to be fun.

I haven't actually played 'The Sims' before. I have a cartridge (actually, it's my sisters), but I just cannot muster up the urge to play it.

Offline General Throatstomper

• I can't think of anything witty :(
  • TSC: blueblaze
  • win8 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 12:17:30 pm »
This is an interesting topic premise. IMPENDING LIST.

1) I have never liked a fps (with the exception of the Metroid Prime games, which are more about exploration anyways, I tried Timesplitters 2 but aside from its sense of humour I didn't really enjoy the game).
2) I've only ever owned two gaming systems not produced by Nintendo (the Genesis and a PSX I bought 2 years ago to retroplay PlayStation games...but as it turns out, the PS1 has an awful game library, not to underplay how terrible the games for the n64 were)
3) I actually bought Brain Age.
4) I've only played 3 'mainstream' Final Fantasy games (FFI, FFIII DS, FFVII), and didn't enjoy them.
5) I sold all my n64 and gameboy games to put towards a DS (a paltry sum of approximately $10, I was told that if I wanted a DS I'd have to cash in my older games...I've bought a few of the better titles I had, but not the majority).
6) I enjoy the Mario Party games (especially Mario Party 2, the best in the series for certain).
7) I find Viewtiful Joe humdrum.
8) I played a few zones in Sonic CD, and was unimpressed.
9) I've never owned a MegaMan game.

Shocking!

I HOPE YOU DO

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2008, 12:44:37 pm »
Stef despite that, I am going to recommend you maybe rent Lost Odyssey and see if you like it. Ok, its an RPG, but, your never left wandering around randomly, you always know where you're going to be headed and such, that said, you can explore if you like which is where I feel it shines over other games in the genre. Deadends and such on Lost Odyssey 95% of the time have goodies down them, in chests and the like, where Ive played games where the areas are full of deadends stocked with nothing. The story's great, the combat system isnt really anthing new but it works.

Then again, you might not like it anyway >_>

Offline Pokemonmaster888

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2008, 03:28:15 pm »
I have a few shocking game-related confessions I'd like to reveal.

1. I used to be happy about 6 years ago that I didn't own a game console, despite my friends all having one.

2. I've never played any Final Fantasy, Contra, MegaMan, or a survial-horror game in my entire life.

3. I originally had a Nintendo Wii bought from Wal-Mart on January 28th, 2007. A malfunction in the disc drive which caused the discs to spit back out again led me to getting a brand-new one from Nintendo.

That is really all I have.

Offline magnum12

• Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2008, 10:19:05 pm »
I'd also recommend a Tales game (except Legendia, that's a stinker). Not much weight on exploration and more weight on ass kicking. The ass kicking is considered the best part of the series (Symphonia and Abyss are the best), placing much more weight on skill than on level.

For those who have never played a Mega Man game, I'd recommend Mega Man Anniversery Collection (stay away from the game cube version and MM5, MM6, and the fighting games) or Mega Man X Collection (either version's fine, but avoid X6 like the plague).

Its my turn to confess again. I used to like the pokemon series, but now, I've been starting to dislike it. The G/S generation was excellent, but the R/S generation has really killed my buzz regarding the series. I have three reasons for my alienation from the series.

The first is excessive trade. Having to buy 5 games and an E-Reader to catch them all is simply bullshit. The trade system has never been anything more than a cheap gimmick at best, but only being able to catch less than half the species with one game is beyond pushing it, especially with trade evolutions and having to trade to get one of a kind species. Has Nintendo ever heard of a side quest. If it were up to me, I'd only have two versions, with each version having a different story line (your character of the two is set in stone based on the version), every species is availible with the version you have determining what species you need to get via side quests, and trade evolutions being gone and replaced with either level or in the case of item trade evolutions, equipping the item.

The second is Nintendo's refusal to fix the annoyances of the older games. Chief among them is being forced to use HM slaves to get around. The best way to change that would have been through the use of a move bank. With this move bank, you equip moves  to be used in battle and the rest are stored in the bank, never permanately gone. TMs do NOT get stored in the move bank, but HMs can. HMs can be used outside of battle without having to equip them. Another problem that  has never been fixed is the ratio of skill and luck. In fact, this has actually become worse with the addition of natures (the game does not tell you how they work) that you can not change (preferably with an item) and reasons mentioned later. The AI is still every bit as cheaterific as before and in fact starts cheating earlier (in the second gym battle of D/P to be exact). In addition to blatent RNG stacking, I've also caught the AI red handed resorting to command reading in Collesium's story mode (reading your inputs, then doing itss actions based on it, commonly seen in SNK boss characters) when I used full heals and the AI responded with Confuse Ray every time I use them and ONLY when I used them. I used the command reading to my advantage to win though. Hidden power is still too random to be of any use. It should always be 70 but the type you get being random (but the game tells you which one you got after you purchased it).

The third and worst beef I have with the series is the new effort value system. For those who are unaware (which is at least the majority of players since the whole system is a secret that was only discovered by hacking into the game), an EV cap that reduces your total maximum stats (not including nature) by 122 points was instituted in the R/S generation. I have many complaints with this system from a game design perspective. I guess this is one of those few times in which ignorance is bliss.
1. Since the whole system is highly secretive, you have  no way of tracking the exact values from each species and your total EVs without an out of game method (yes this includes pen and paper). This punishes players merely for not knowing the system exists with inferior pokemon.
2. If you do know about the system, it forces to grind for hours in the same location, fighting the same species to get a proper build. Talk about having to do more work to get less.
3. Encourages min-maxing (power gaming), a tactic that is frowned upon in most RPG and table top strategy circles.
4. Reduces the amount of viable move sets, making pokemon more predictable.
5. Since reduced EVs causes a general tendancy for more fragile pokemon, critical hits become considerably more deadly, increasing the weight of luck
6. In a battle between two offensive pokemon, increased fragility causes the balance of power to swing in favor of speed (in G/S, being slow was not as much of a disadvantage as the slower one was tougher to compensate)
7. In a more fragile environment, missing a turn because of random effects becomes comparatively more fatal, once again, swinging the balance of power in favor of luck.
8. The combination of more fragile pokemon and increased weight of luck creates a state of slippery slope that is both unpredictable and steeper in comparison to the older games. Slippery slope is something that is to be lessened if not avoided in multiplayer games.
9. While pokemon has never been balanced between characters, the new EV system actually makes things a lot WORSE. Since there is a flat 122 point reduction, species with a smaller stat block lose a much higher percentage of their stats compared to more powerful species.
10. This system is the PRIMARY reason you can't trade old pokemon from G/S.

Offline General Throatstomper

• I can't think of anything witty :(
  • TSC: blueblaze
  • win8 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2008, 10:42:16 pm »
Your post is less a confession and more the general opinion of the pokemon series.

As to EV's leading to weaker pokemon and dreadfully predictable movesets, you're spot on there, though I'd say the more gamebreaking effect is in the effective destruction of utility sponges. You can't have double walls anymore because your ev spread is too thinly dispersed, so you wind up with a meta wherein circular switches become the established convention. If special wall (w) beats special attacker (x) by enduring its hits, but physical (y) trounces special wall (w), the player in question will make that switch, to precepitate bringing in physical wall (z) to cope with (y)...which will consequently lead to the opponent bringing in special attacker (x) you beat physical wall (z). The way the D/P meta has developed has turned it into a turtler's game, with surprise kills and setup pokemon serving as the only reliable ways to win matches; sweeperside it's all about speed, so there's an arbitrarily imposed reliability on these walls which only makes the design more contrived. Though the other extreme is the gsc era, which had a handful of viable pokemon and an even smaller subset of sweepers (by which I mean it's been a while since I've played gsc and forget the finer points of the meta, so I'm pretending I can remember a sweeper in common use...Gengar?)...gsc was all about sponges and status ailments. Of course, this is the same series that considered making a type weak to a type that can only get stab on 'lick' and another whose strongest move is (power of pin missile...or is it twin needle? here) a sufficient balance.

I HOPE YOU DO

Offline Stefan

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2008, 03:12:42 pm »
Oh, one I forgot.

I had an all-s chaos chao named 'Tsunami' in my old sonic adventure 2 file. I was proud.

Similarly to genus, I have owned only one non nintendo console. It was a genesis I gave away by 6th grade.

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2008, 04:52:48 pm »
I only skimread most of magnums post, and I dont know if genus responded, but, EV raising is not difficult, at least in DP.

You can max a pokemon's EVs in a stat in maybe 20 minutes if your lucky with the wild pokemon/vs seeker. Oh and you get an on screen tally thing on the bottom screen you can use to count them as you go along \m/

Offline Mo

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2008, 01:34:54 am »
I can't stand rpg games too!
Shortcuts I have discovered: SSR Skeleton Dome Mission 12 Gate ditch, SA2 Battle: spring dodge.

Offline F-Man

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2008, 04:06:36 am »
I hate what Capcom has done to Resident Evil starting with RE4.

As for nowadays,

• I buy games faster than I complete 3 levels in them.
  • I just don't play at all.
:(

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2008, 11:06:51 pm »
Dont get me started on Capcom
* ARCANE ALBATROSS OF FOREBODING angry fist shake

Print

Hits: 361 | Hits This Month: 3 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.18 MB | Time: 0.12s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.