don't click here

Music wierdness

Print

Author Topic: Music wierdness  (Read 4026 times)

Offline EngiNerd

• Most Sarcastic Member of the Year
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
  • Hydrowhut
    • View Profile
Music wierdness
« on: May 02, 2008, 07:54:50 am »
Hold tight, this is one of the strangest computer glitches I've ever seen.  Viewer discretion advised.
You still there?
Good.
OK, so I'll freely admit it (not to bad of an admittance here anyways), I have a large amount of videogame music, about 90% of which is Sonic BGMs and remixes.  I use Quintessential as an audio player for that.  Now, I recently reinstalled and returned to playing a fairly old game, Frogger 2: Swampy's Revenge (I'm preparing for a potential SDA run).  Now, I have all of the music for this game saved in My Music as well, titled normally.  The game typically has an odd glitch where, if you exit the game, the music continues to play.  Here's the oddness:
I have QCD player running in the background but paused, as I typically do.
The current playlist on the player is entirely my Sonic collection, nothing more, nothing less.
I play the Frogger 2 game for awhile and exit, still can here the background music play.
I pop the disc out and back in to get the music to stop (always do that, always works).
I turn my music back on.
All of the music from Frogger 2 has been added to my music player.
The artist is listed as Jennifer Lopez.
WHAT.
THE.
HECK.
While yeah, I do own a lot of common music, like the stuff you'd hear on the radio, I have NOTHING from J.Lo.  And no, the Frogger 2 music has NOTHING to do with her.  Furthermore, each of the tracks has a different title, different from the standard title of the audio file.  I open the playlist window and simply reload the Sonic playlist, the extra tracks are gone.
I'm not particularly asking for help here, I just thought it was one of the strangest things I've ever seen a computer do, and I wanted to share it.  But, anyone who knows where this could be coming from, I'm still extremely curious.
Im in ur TSCz, climin ur chartz!
My presssioussss....

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
Re: Music wierdness
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 08:04:26 am »
Do you have some sort of auto-tagging software (CDDB, etc) going on?  Often with unknown stuff it'll match they'll match as close as they can, which can leave you with some serious randomness.  That, and some weird interaction between the game's use of the system audio libraries (you're taking the CD out and it's looking for the next track, so it's possibly flagging the disc as a music CD and setting a listener on it?) and Quintessential, would seem likely.

But yeah, that's some clbuttic computer stupidity right there :)
This topic has now been officially won by me.  Never mind, you might do better next time!
www.douglasgresham.co.uk - it's in the intarwebs, it must be true!

Offline EngiNerd

• Most Sarcastic Member of the Year
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
  • Hydrowhut
    • View Profile
Re: Music wierdness
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 02:40:25 pm »
Hmm.  Perhaps QCD has auto-tagging built-in, I doubt it though.  I'm further intrigued by the fact that the tracks already exist on my computer with different names, yet it renames them.  I've never understood why the music continues to play when I exit the game, so I dunno.
Im in ur TSCz, climin ur chartz!
My presssioussss....

Print

Hits: 108 | Hits This Month: 2 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 989.88 KB | Time: 0.10s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.