don't click here

Awesome Sonic Advance maps

Print

Author Topic: Awesome Sonic Advance maps  (Read 14373 times)

Offline Zeupar

• The Watcher
  • Architect of the Matrix
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • Sonical!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel (speedruns and travel videos)
Awesome Sonic Advance maps
« on: March 30, 2008, 01:52:50 pm »
Ok, so the other day a friend told me about a site with video game maps. I did some research and found some awesome Sonic Advance maps made by TerraEsperZ. By chance, he has just joined TSC. So I have a request for you, TEZ: please, make maps with the same quality for all zones when you have the time!

And good job on the ones you already did back on 2005.

P.S.: Welcome... xD
Fail collection: 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5.
:o - :O - X) - :D
https://youtu.be/qpT5Md4TPJg?t=221

Re: Awesome Sonic Advance maps
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 01:44:52 am »
Funny. I mostly registered here because I was amazed at the accuracy of the Advance maps on The Sonic Center :).  I guess they were made by ripping the stages and the sprites straight from the ROMs; they're not credited, but considering Rolken recently ripped all the stages from Sonic 2, Sonic Chaos and Sonic Triple Trouble for the Game Gear on the Sonic Retro forum, he might have done those too.

At any rate, I gave up long ago on completing them because they were a real pain to do considering the size of the stages and the huge number of screenshots required to make even one (I think back then I averaged a stage every few weeks or so). Nowadays I'm trying to map the main Sonic games for the Genesis (Sonic 1, 2, 3 & Knuckles and CD) using the built-in Debug Mode which makes it a lot easier and thus feasible to actually finish them in my lifetime :)

Whoever did the Advance maps on this site, I'd like to contact him both to try and get full-size versions of them, and also to offer to do the backgrounds for them. I mostly map games because I like the graphics of them and not to provide help, so aesthetics is and has always been my goal, and making those maps look as good as they deserve would make me really happy.

Anyway, I don't know if I have the right to "advertise" here the game map forum where I hang most of the time, but search around on Google and you're bound to find it. I've done so far about 40% of the maps from Sonic The Hedgehog and Sonic CD, and I switch from one to the other whenever I grow bored.

Anyway, thanks for the interest and for the welcome. Hopefully, I can one day finish mapping an entire Sonic game, since it's a shame that nobody so far has done (well, with quality maps at least).

Offline SadisticMystic

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 02:32:10 am »
nitsuja is the one who dug up those maps, though I'm not sure contacting him from here will be the easiest thing to do.

Offline Rolken

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 02:40:42 am »
The only maps I've done are the Game Gear and SPA ones.

As I understand it, nitsuja made a custom version of VBA in the process of doing his Sonic Advance TAS that allowed the camera to follow Sonic regardless of how fast he goes (unlike the normal game procedure), so it's likely that he used the same thing to move the camera everywhere in the level and take snapshots for those maps.

You can advertise whatever you want so long as it's pro <_<

I should actually put those GG maps up on the site, since I doubt I'll end up finishing the sprites any time soon.
StH JJ1 WkS+ Sal++^i Rbk++i Knu- McS+++ P++ D[af]opw $++++ E03 A24 GM CoUT
What fun is it being cool if you can't wear a sombrero?

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 01:02:37 pm »
Thanks for the information everyone. I'll certainly try to contact nitsuja to see if he's willing/able to help me.

Oh and Rolken, you can safely ignore/delete the two emails I recently sent you on a similar subject as this one.

Offline Zeupar

• The Watcher
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • Sonical!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 08:41:39 pm »

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 10:13:51 pm »
Zeupar, I'm unable to send any PM (it keeps coming back to my post with a new verification code every time I click on Preview or Send) so here's my answer to yours.

Thanks for the link to his profile. I'm not sure if I'll ever get around to mapping the Advance games, but I'd certainly want to given enough time. Of course, I'd require tools like that hacked VBA Nitsuja did, but I'd be up to capturing everything again instead of taking his maps and his hard work.

Concerning Egg Rocket, I liked that stage so much because of the music and the race against time to clear each section before they were jettisoned, I just had to map it. In a way, not having tools to fully explore the map was better for this one because the raw map that Nitsuja assembled doesn't look that good. There's that empty portion on the top right section, and the horizontal "ceilings" on top of the first part and on the right side, and not knowing what was there I did what I could to make it resemble an actual rocket. Anyway, I don't want to bore you with my crazy stuff :)

I think your English is really good, and anyway, I'm not one to talk since I'm a French Canadian from Quebec (by the way, don't believe what they say about all Quebecers being crazy English-bashing separatists).

And don't worry, I intend to keep mapping Sonic as much as possible :)

Offline Zeupar

• The Watcher
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • Sonical!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 10:53:06 pm »
That's a rare bug. I have never suffered it (anyway I'm not friend of private messages... Shut up Thorn, it was your fault... >_>). You don't bore me at all, I like your crazy stuff and value your obssesion getting perfect maps. I'm perfectionist like you. In fact I think that, in general, speed runners are perfectionist.

I love Sonic Advance's OST, but yeah, Egg Rocket theme is especially beautiful. And that stage is special in some ways: you race against time (like you already said), the game gives you 25 minutes to complete it (I think that's a record on 2D Sonic games), you have to climb to the top to finish it (the only stage of that kind I can't think of is Sonic the Hedgehog's Jungle Act 2) and it's the stage where you can get more rings (I got 726 some time ago). See? I have my own crazy stuff. xD By the way, you could like this remix. :D

Don't worry about the separatist thing, I don't care politics a lot. :P Anyway, we already have a prominent member here with your same French Canadian from Quebec profile and he isn't a separatist as far as I know. >:O

Now stop making maps for a moment and compete a little! Competition is healthy *cof*and addictive*cof*.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 08:46:06 pm by Zeupar »

Offline P.P.A.

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008, 06:46:19 am »
Agreed, Egg Rocket's BGM is fantastic.
Overall Sonic Advance is pretty pro. Not really excelling in anything in particular (except for a few music tracks), but altogether a very enjoyable game.
* P.P.A. sees the link to TerraEsperZ's Sonic CD maps.
You good sir are a hero. Keep going, those maps are awesome! :O
THESE IMAGES CONFISCATED FOR EVIDENCE

My YouTube profile. Lots of Sonic speedruns~

Offline P.P.A.

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2008, 10:54:28 am »
MAKE MORE MAPS
THESE IMAGES CONFISCATED FOR EVIDENCE

My YouTube profile. Lots of Sonic speedruns~

Print

Hits: 583 | Hits This Month: 3 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.11 MB | Time: 0.08s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.