don't click here

Team Fortress 2

Print

Author Topic: Team Fortress 2  (Read 33366 times)

Offline P.P.A.

Team Fortress 2
« on: January 08, 2008, 04:28:48 pm »
I played it online today, it's great fun! Does anyone else here have The Orange Box and play it?

Also Pyros are awesome.
THESE IMAGES CONFISCATED FOR EVIDENCE

My YouTube profile. Lots of Sonic speedruns~

Offline eggFL

Re: Team Fortress 2
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 05:15:06 pm »
nope, I don't have it unfortunately

maybe I'd rent it sometime in the future

Offline Taco

• If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC: NintenDan
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/nintendan
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 07:57:25 pm »
OHNOES THIS TOPIC IS UBER OLD

but I bump it anyway, to see if there is any renewed interest in this game or if more people have gotten into it now that it's been out for a while

I've recently started playing this game and let me tell you, it is fudging awesome!

I've only really played as soldier, I've barely touched some of the other classes (spy, medic and engineer total up to 20 minutes total gameplay time). I wouldn't say I'm crazy good like those crazy people out there on the interwebs, but I guess I'm decent and have my moments in the spotlight

So does anyone now/still play this?
I'd like to play with someone from TSC sometime :o

my username is zandurad and I use the nickname [NIU]Taco when I play

if you don't have orangebox, I highly recommend you get it!

cmon, somebody play with Taco in something for once! you know you want to...

Offline EngiNerd

• Most Sarcastic Member of the Year
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
  • Hydrowhut
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 08:01:49 pm »
Sorry, bought just Portal from Steam because I wasn't interested in anything else in the Orange Box.
* Minus the Antiporcupine bricked
Im in ur TSCz, climin ur chartz!
My presssioussss....

Offline Spinballwizard

• TSC Purist
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • That's enough of that.
    • View Profile
    • WSBW GameCenter
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 11:17:26 pm »
I can currently only play over Hamachi atm. :(

Also I concur pyro is awesome.
<Tails> also "GET BLUE SPHERES" on a black-and-white TV remains the best special stage of all time

<Achlys> wat ave you done!
<Spinballwizard> apparently killed your h key

Offline Taillow

• Changing forum names is lame...
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Quartz
  • win81 chrome
  • ...but it didn't stop me from doing it again.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 11:26:28 pm »
I did play it once.  And I say that all the support guys are great.  Also one time where I was in full control of medic advantages.  A capture the point area (one that has capture points A and B captured before a main one or something like that) where I pretty much kept healing a heavy and everyone pretty much couldn't kill either him or myself (great usage of hiding spots).  I even managed to get off two ubercharges (I think that's the name) at opportune moments.  It was perfect.

Also one time when I was a spy and attempted to sneak over to a capture point.I screwed up cloaking and had a sniper follow me back, and he was aiming for a kill with a zoomed sniper...

...so I strafed back and forth on the control point until it was captured, avoiding shots.

I need money!
Hi

Offline P.P.A.

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 07:00:11 am »
Soldier. I hate soldier. Soldier is the cheapest and lamest class there is. He can just fire randomly around and still kill people. DON'T PLAY SOLDIER

Also I only play on weekends now since otherwise TF2 steals too much of my time.
I main pyro and spy by the way, sometimes also demoman or sniper.

Offline Taco

• If I had a (ban)hammer
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 09:46:22 am »
really? I honeslty feel that there are much cheaper classes over soldier...

First of all, the soldier is one of the few classes that actually has to reload his primary weapon. and it takes a frickin while to reload, you're more or less vulnerable to attack while doing so. Second, because the soldier is shooting a projectile rather than a bullet, it travels much slower than pretty much any other classes weapon. It gives the opponent time to runaway assuming they are not close enough. The splash damage is great, especially with rockets, but I feel like the grenades and stickies from the demoman still have a greater splash range then a crit rocket.

I kind of came to the assumption that the soldier is one of the weaker classes. personally I think some of the other classes are a little overpowered.

pyro wins at close combat range 95% of the time. you don't have to reload, and you get a frickin shield to bounce projectiles off of you! an ubered pyro can push an entire team back to their spawn gate if done properly (and in an appropriate situation). an ubered soldier only gets 4 shots to strike fear into the opposing team!

spy...you turn flipping invisible! I can't count the number of times I've been just backstabbed out of nowhere. It's infuriating more then anything.

The demoman, I feel is like a slightly better version of the soldier

Iono, I guess I'm just rambling right now

I see that you have a 360 gamercard though. I play on the pc. is there a way we can still play or is there no interconnectivity between the two?

Offline Taco

• If I had a (ban)hammer
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 10:31:41 am »
Oh noes I am posting in a topic that has been dead for a good year again, but for good reason, for I just recently learned in chat that more people play team fortress 2 (both on xbox and pc)

I urge more people to buy this game so that I may put my proposition of starting a [TSC] clan into action. We dont have to be pro or anything, but it actually might be yet another outlet to recruit new members. If we had our own clan and server it would be a great way to get new people introduced to the site.

Probably going too much into this, but still an idea to think about nonetheless

At the very least though, I'd like to play some team fortress 2 with the people that now have it on their pc. I know spinny said he had it along with a few others (I forget who) so friend me on steam when you get the chance damnit!

steamid: zandurad
currentnick: [NIU] Taco {G}

the NIU stands for Northern Illinois University, but I think it would look cooler if my clan tag was [TSC] :o
oh, and the G is a clan I made up for melee only, so join that if you're interested k

I've been home for a good week without access to my computer but Ill be back at my apartment with my computer saturday evening (central time :o) and I'm probably going to play a lot of tf2 that night so please, join me in my carnage and slaying that night. or at the very least post your steam contact info!

and if you dont have tf2 go buy it right now because its awesome and only costs 20 dollars!

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
  • I am a follower of the immortal Dark Falz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 11:57:03 am »
I picked it up only to immediately put it back down:

It felt like someone had taken Conker(XBOX) and taken out all the comic hijinx, only to leave a bland and uninteresting game that had, quite frankly, already been done.
Year 33 — The Malkavians claim that their greatest practical joke happened during this year, when they perform a bit of graverobbing  in Jerusalem.
-- Vampire: The Masquerade

Offline Stefan

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2009, 11:58:49 am »
It's interesting that this has become a chat fad right around this time too; is it just collective team fortress awareness month?

Offline Spinballwizard

• TSC Purist
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • That's enough of that.
    • View Profile
    • WSBW GameCenter
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2009, 12:06:23 pm »
I think I indirectly noticed because Taco noticed I had come back from playing.

Well with the change in network settings I can actually play online now! So yeah.

steamid: Spinballwizard

Currently display the same as I have no clan tag. I'm in the TSS group *shot* but I don't tag myself with them. Taco I am adding you.

Pyros are still awesome. I'm also a decent medic and am becoming an ok demo.

Also it sucks, I have every unlockable for sniper (Huntsman, Razorback, Jarate) and I pretty much never play him.
<Tails> also "GET BLUE SPHERES" on a black-and-white TV remains the best special stage of all time

Offline Taco

• If I had a (ban)hammer
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2009, 05:28:09 pm »
I picked it up only to immediately put it back down:

It felt like someone had taken Conker(XBOX) and taken out all the comic hijinx, only to leave a bland and uninteresting game that had, quite frankly, already been done.

I understand that no game is ever 100% accepted, even the really good ones, but for someone who just picked up the game and played it for what seems like no longer then 10 seconds you certainly are making a bold claim.

You should not be so hasty to jump to such a conclusion. I think I've played conker on the xbox once, and a few times on the N64 and I know the xbox version is based on the 64 version with online play. But in all the times that I've played both of these games, never have I even once considered it to be comparable in any way to team fortress 2. Both are two completly different structures of gameplay. Conkers, from what I've assembled of it, is similar to most of the shooters of its time. You run around picking weapons up from the ground. I don't know if current fps follow a similar fashion or not. I know the new unreal is similar in style, but as for how much it follows that fashion I don't know.

Tf2 is the only game I know of which is anything like itself. The class system is much more unique and a nice approach IMO to balancing gameplay. In a sense, you have access to any weapon you want, but you can only carry 3 at a time. Obviously weapons are restricted to each seperate class (that's what makes each class unique) but if you're sick of burning people with the flamethrower, its a simple matter of heading back to spawn and changing to a heavy with a minigun, or a soldier with a rocket launcher.

Granted, other fps may have all of these weapons available for any one character, and there's nothing wrong with that. Those sort of fps take a different approach then. Tf2 here is clearly unique in the sense that if every character has their own unique set of weapons, then every character is unique in their own respective right, and so a sense of teamwork is developed. Each of these weapons are going to be needed or used to achieve a team based goal (capturing the point, intel, whatever) and so team fortress 2 can be said to be a team based game, and that alone makes it different from alot of other fps.

Aside from team fortress classic, I don't see how any of this has ever really been done before. Im just curious to know why you think this game is uninteresting and bland, because its nothing like any of the other fps I've ever played, and that alone makes it fun. For me at least

Offline General Throatstomper

• I can't think of anything witty :(
  • TSC: blueblaze
  • win8 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2009, 08:17:17 pm »
I conjecture that TF2 has become more popular at TSC because of the Sniper/Spy update. I remember that everyone thought Meet the Spy was a riot, so I guess people decided to pick it up again?

Steamid: supergenus

I'm getting into TF2, but the difficulty was offputting at first. I would rush to the combat and get massacred by players doing things I wouldn't expect, and for a while I didn't understand what was going on. Then I read the wiki and started getting passably decent.

Now I'm a pro spy~

I HOPE YOU DO

Offline Taillow

• Broseidon
  • win81 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2009, 02:03:35 am »
Sure, sure.  I haven't played it since the free weekend, but I DO have it now.  Just distracted by Platinum.  Whenever I get back to it...

Steam ID: lightshademist (I couldn't think of a good ID login.  My set username is better though.)
Hi

Offline P.P.A.

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2009, 02:44:12 am »
Someone play the 360 version with me someday! :(

spoiler: I never really was on your side.

Offline Crowbar

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2009, 06:11:58 am »
Holy shit Aita are you fucking serious?

TF2 is the sequel to Team Fortress Classic, itself a remake of Team Fortress, and inherited its class system wholly from that game. Team Fortress was released in 1996. That's a good 5 years before even CBFD on the N64, never mind the X-Box version! I mean, did the 2 in the title not give you a hint?

Christ, look shit up before mouthing off like that. That is seriously one of the biggest fails I've seen posted on this forum.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 06:19:40 am by Crowbar »

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
  • I am a follower of the immortal Dark Falz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2009, 10:28:53 am »
Holy shit Aita are you fucking serious?

TF2 is the sequel to Team Fortress Classic, itself a remake of Team Fortress, and inherited its class system wholly from that game. Team Fortress was released in 1996. That's a good 5 years before even CBFD on the N64, never mind the X-Box version! I mean, did the 2 in the title not give you a hint?

Christ, look shit up before mouthing off like that. That is seriously one of the biggest fails I've seen posted on this forum.

It's chain-stolen... it didn't start with TF/TF2 or Conker...

Regardless, it isn't UNIQUE, which was the point in the post.  Further, neither TFC nor TF were main-stream (comparatively) and there were other games that were.

I compared it to Conker because Conker is essentially a better version of this game, in my eyes.

Also, I was tired when I wrote that post...  It was meant to allude that Conker had stolen it from earlier games, but I suppose it didn't say that at all...

So much for attempts at creative writing while you have a >30 hour sleep deficit...

(Also, I asked the rhetorical question, "Guess where TF2 STOLE/copied it's class system from?", because of where Conker came from, It was meant to allude to the fact that it was stolen as well)

I did look it up, That post just didn't come out anything like I wanted it to, and skewed the image I had in my head, because there was much I forgot to write (And I didn't proofread, because my gf was asking me to get to sleep, because we're trying to keep our sleep schedules in sync, for once)

Deleting now, but the point stands that it's NOT unique, and the setting is obnoxious in my eyes.  
Year 33 — The Malkavians claim that their greatest practical joke happened during this year, when they perform a bit of graverobbing  in Jerusalem.
-- Vampire: The Masquerade

Offline Spinballwizard

• TSC Purist
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • That's enough of that.
    • View Profile
    • WSBW GameCenter
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2009, 01:27:46 pm »
For those interested, I made a TSC Steam group.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/thesoniccenter

Offline Taillow

• Broseidon
  • win81 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2009, 10:29:55 am »
There.  Added all of you that stated their IDs.  And Cruizer.

Also I'll try to play on friday or saturday
Hi

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2009, 11:00:09 am »
Ill add you when I stop being lazy
Did you not think I had a mind?

Offline Ben

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2009, 03:03:12 pm »
Ah cool, this is one of my favourite online games.

My Steam ID is McBayne, I've added everyone who posted theirs.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 03:55:45 pm by Ben »

Offline Taco

• If I had a (ban)hammer
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2009, 03:15:41 am »
so...I just made a punching heavy frag video, or at least I attempted to make one. I'm not good enough to frag actual classes lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M_h9GJFjPY

Offline P.P.A.

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2009, 09:05:57 am »
I just had the most hilarious TF2 match ever. Basically since I currently have a cold so my head is very messy and in addition my mood was also quite bad, I decided I should not play that actively and rather keep it low to not stain myself too much. So I chose Engineer and built a sentry and stuff so I'd at least be credit to team since I didn't expect myself to be of much use.
Eventually I got bored and started wandering around, hitting everyone I came across with my wrench. And it was amusingly effective. Basically I relaxedly strolled around 2fort carelessly, wandering around in the open and freely into the enemy base wrenching everyone who crossed my path to death. Spies, scouts, pyros... The enemy team was raging like crazy but I just kept taking walks killing people with wrenches, occasionally also capturing the intelligence along the way, until eventually they turned the server off. Quoting my buddy who I always play with quoting what they said to him:
[13:21:04] <Hinara> "NARSTYLE YOU FUCKING DICK, WITH YOUR WRENCH DICKING FRIEND AND YOUR GLITCHING FUCKING SENTRY"
[13:21:07] <Hinara> *Close server*

It was very amusing.

Afterwards I messaged two of the players I WRENCHED with "Excuse me, I think I forgot my wrench somewhere around here. Have you seen it?". One of them replied with "=S nopers soz 0.0!!!!!!!".

Offline P.P.A.

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2009, 04:09:13 pm »
I have Steam now and can play TF2 on PC. Add me if you'd like. :(
http://steamcommunity.com/id/ppachao

Also http://touhoufortress2.web.fc2.com/

Offline Taco

• If I had a (ban)hammer
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2009, 03:42:41 pm »
well I feel kind of stupid

so I definitely accepted your friend request PPA, but I totally took it for granted, forgetting that you only had it on 360 up until now (which is funny considering how much I bugged you to get it on pc)

but yay! I realized this finally now (2 + 2 clicked together) so we can play sometime :o

Offline P.P.A.

« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2009, 03:45:02 pm »
Tomorrow perhaps.

Also I play with a resolution of 640x480 and with an Xbox 360 controller I am so cool :(

Offline Cutiefox

• Almost acing it...
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista firefox
  • I WILL A-KNOCK YOU OUT
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2009, 05:37:18 pm »
Ever have four Heavies with football helmets running towards you? That shit's intense (blew them up though).

On there I'm Koirankuje, and play most days except the weekend. :P

Print

Hits: 1,766 | Hits This Month: 4 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.26 MB | Time: 0.09s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.