don't click here

Sonic 2 GG - Act 3s

Print

Author Topic: Sonic 2 GG - Act 3s  (Read 3845 times)

Offline yse

• Thrower of Gauntlets
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC: mike89
  • win10 chrome
  • Constitutions written: 1 and counting
    • View Profile
Sonic 2 GG - Act 3s
« on: December 06, 2007, 01:48:29 am »
Having just completed my TAS of this game it occurred to me that the old proposal to add act 3s to the charts was never dealt with. There's two options here: either the time or the score can be added.

Some notes:
* There's no rings in any act 3, and Sky High 3 is the only act 3 with enemies in it
* The Game Gear version hides the timer when you get to the boss, but the time can be derived (down to the second until you reach 1 minute) from the time bonus. There's only one act 3 (Gimmick Mt.) where it's impossible to beat one minute.

With this in mind, track times, scores, or both? I can't see much merit to both but I'm interested to hear your thoughts.

<3 Thorn.

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Former admin, lucid dreamer, lover of burgers
    • View Profile
Re: Sonic 2 GG - Act 3s
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 12:06:52 pm »
Scores, of course.

Tracking times and deriving it from the time bonus goes along with a bunch of suggestions I didn't like in the past. One example from Sprint for SRB2: "Well, you can measure times in tics, then divide you end result by 35 to get a real time. It's more accurate that way." Another example from ks8 for Shuffle: "When tracking mini-games, you should have to subtract 10 from your end result because the game gives you 10 to start, and it should be based on what you earn."

I never really took to either of those ideas, because we've seen enough idiots struggle just to copy their times from their screen to the charts. Making them do math on top of that is a death sentence for TSC.
<RPGnutter> Well I think your reasoning was dumb, so you get sassed
<RPGnutter> Thats how it works

Offline Taco

• If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC: NintenDan
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/nintendan
Re: Sonic 2 GG - Act 3s
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 02:47:03 pm »
I agree

I say we should just go by what the game offers. If the levels have a time/score counter to determine our stats for a level, then we should use it. If it doesn't, then I don't think we should because there is no set basis. People might get slightly different answers if you need to start figuring out your time and score for a level, and that doesn't seem very reliable

Print

Hits: 747 | Hits This Month: 5 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1003.44 KB | Time: 0.13s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.