don't click here

We just got our 1st gameboy advance =P

Print

Author Topic: We just got our 1st gameboy advance =P  (Read 38089 times)

Offline P.P.A.

Re: We just got our 1st gameboy advance =P
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2007, 05:55:53 am »
Except Loco Roco.
THESE IMAGES CONFISCATED FOR EVIDENCE

My YouTube profile. Lots of Sonic speedruns~

Offline Crowbar

« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2007, 09:26:05 am »
Crush.

Offline P.P.A.

« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2007, 11:18:57 am »

OKAY

Offline eggFL

« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2007, 10:01:45 pm »
Just because something is a sequel doesn't make it a port or a remake.

Offline P.P.A.

« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2007, 04:49:12 am »
What are you talking about, egg?

Anyway, what about a WonderSwan? :D

Offline eggFL

« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2007, 05:32:57 am »
Still wondering why you got that thing. But eh I guess it doesn't matter. It might as well be for no reason. 8|

Anyway, what am I talking about? Oh I was just preemptively arguing against invisible people.

I was saying the PSP has a good number of exclusive sequels. Those are neither ports nor remakes. But I shouldn't have to point that out just to have someone say "well they're still sequels, and not original" after all the DS is built on sequels.

On the other hand, my two biggest reasons I want a PSP are both ports anyway. Sega Rally Revo and Street Fighter Alpha 3. Both those games start with the letter S and are better than the entire DS library combined. (heh I've just been wanting to say that)

By the way I was going to compile a list of all the noteworthy PSP games and this seems a good place to start:
http://www.metacritic.com/games/psp/scores/

Offline eggFL

« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2007, 10:52:34 am »
I didn't even know classic Sonic was available on PSP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un99unER9EI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSTp5voC5uA

It seems though that it doesn't use up all of the PSP's screen. The very left left and right sides of the screen are left blank. That kind of sucks. What do you guys think?

Offline Zeupar

• The Watcher
  • Architect of the Matrix
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • Sonical!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel (speedruns and travel videos)
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2007, 05:20:28 pm »
I think that this is awesome. I didn't know this game. I'm getting it (I have to get a PSP first and I ordered a DS Lite today <_<). The sides had to be left blank, there wasn't a better solution.
Fail collection: 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5.
:o - :O - X) - :D
https://youtu.be/qpT5Md4TPJg?t=221

Offline eggFL

« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2007, 07:20:23 am »
It's cool that you like it! To be honest though, it feels like a waste to me the more I think about it. I'm totally iffy on getting a game that doesn't even use all of the screen... at least as far as handhelds are concerned.

However maybe there's an option to stretch the screen. If there is, it would bring the game up a lot in my book. Just like 2P split screen squishes the image flat, but it wouldn't even be nearly that bad.

But it would be the best if they extended the view so you can see farther left and right. Technically it would be a different game, but I definitely wouldn't mind, there's no doubt it would be better. Wish they did it like that. Or if the PSP simply wasn't so wide and the game fit perfectly as it was, so there wouldn't even be a reason not to get the game for it.

Offline Zeupar

• The Watcher
  • Architect of the Matrix
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • Sonical!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel (speedruns and travel videos)
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2007, 07:44:27 am »
However maybe there's an option to stretch the screen. If there is, it would bring the game up a lot in my book. Just like 2P split screen squishes the image flat, but it wouldn't even be nearly that bad.

Well, new options are ever welcome. Anyway, I woudn't use it. It would be lame. Did you play your Game Boy Color games stretched when you played them on a Game Boy Advance? There is an option to do so and I never used it. When you do that you play a deformed game. :x

But it would be the best if they extended the view so you can see farther left and right. Technically it would be a different game, but I definitely wouldn't mind, there's no doubt it would be better. Wish they did it like that.

No way! That game includes many games. Doing what you say with all the games included would require a lot of work. Anyway, I prefer to play the classics exactly like they were. Not getting the game because the image doesn't fit the screen makes no sense.

By the way, I notice a change in you. And I'm sure that everybody like it (excluding trolls).
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 10:32:26 pm by Zeupar »
Fail collection: 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5.
:o - :O - X) - :D
https://youtu.be/qpT5Md4TPJg?t=221

Offline eggFL

« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2007, 02:03:00 pm »
Yea I remember playing GB/C games on GBA with and without stretched mode. I guess you're right.

But so that's basically what Sega Genesis Collection is like to me. It's like a GBC game for a GBA. (but maybe if I played it in person it my view would turn around)

I forgot though. I originally just meant to point out that Sega Genesis Collection exists, not whether or not I'd buy it if I had a PSP. So... yea!

By the way, I notice a change in you. And I'm sure that everybody like it (excluding trolls).

huh.... must be a fluke.

Offline MrNomad

« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2007, 12:03:26 am »
*looks at egg's pic* I think I'm about to have a heart attack...Hotsuma pic?! XD I GOTTA GET BACK TO PERFECTING MY NIGHTSHADE AND PS2 SHINOBI GAME!! :D

Offline eggFL

« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2007, 06:59:00 pm »
heheh damn right, it's Hotsuma... but umm... why bother. Those two games are not very good. >_>

Offline MrNomad

« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2007, 12:46:48 am »
heheh damn right, it's Hotsuma... but umm... why bother. Those two games are not very good. >_>
Ya they are good, at least to me D= *loses interest in your pic*

Offline eggFL

« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2007, 01:31:17 am »
They're somewhat good, yea.

Offline MrNomad

« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2007, 07:48:29 am »
They're somewhat good, yea.
They're some of the most original and best action games on ps2 Imo. The only other great action game I could think about for ps2 is devil may cry, and it's music wasn't as appealing to me as in shinobi/nightshade.

Offline eggFL

« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2007, 11:31:48 am »
This month I played Shinobi, Nightshade, and Devil May Cry for the first time in years. And I have to say Devil May Cry is a better game in many respects, although it's not perfect.

But besides that... how is Shinobi any better than Shadow the Hedgehog?

Nightshade is even more embarrassing. (although its soundtrack is sweet)

Nightshade has one stage which is nothing but a maze of metal corridors and rooms. The rooms are entered through automatic doors that look exactly like the walls. The graphics are flat, dark, lazy, monochromatic, and repetitve. This is a fetch quest stage and there's not even any way to know if you missed a mirror without trying to look to see if access to the next area is blocked, and even when you got them all then you have no way of knowing that you did because the door that blocks you is no longer there and therefore appears as the exact same corridor as the one you're always in and you don't even know what direction you have to go.

How exactly is that good? It's like tired developers throwing their snot at you.

Sure, Hotsuma is really cool but Hibana looks like a retarded power ranger.

The camera controls in both Shinobi and Nightshade are wonky as all hell to boot -- it's as if it literally takes 2 seconds to respond to your input.

Yea sure, they are alright as niche slash-em-up games.. alright janky repetitive budget action games. Shadow is much more fleshed out than these to say the least.

Offline MrNomad

« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2007, 12:18:18 pm »
This month I played Shinobi, Nightshade, and Devil May Cry for the first time in years. And I have to say Devil May Cry is a better game in many respects, although it's not perfect.

But besides that... how is Shinobi any better than Shadow the Hedgehog?

Nightshade is even more embarrassing. (although its soundtrack is sweet)

Nightshade has one stage which is nothing but a maze of metal corridors and rooms. The rooms are entered through automatic doors that look exactly like the walls. The graphics are flat, dark, lazy, monochromatic, and repetitve. This is a fetch quest stage and there's not even any way to know if you missed a mirror without trying to look to see if access to the next area is blocked, and even when you got them all then you have no way of knowing that you did because the door that blocks you is no longer there and therefore appears as the exact same corridor as the one you're always in and you don't even know what direction you have to go.

How exactly is that good? It's like tired developers throwing their snot at you.

Sure, Hotsuma is really cool but Hibana looks like a retarded power ranger.

The camera controls in both Shinobi and Nightshade are wonky as all hell to boot -- it's as if it literally takes 2 seconds to respond to your input.

Yea sure, they are alright as niche slash-em-up games.. alright janky repetitive budget action games. Shadow is much more fleshed out than these to say the least.
Ya I hate that stage too, thats why I never play that. One bad stage out of 30+ other good stages, you seem to act like the minute any one stage is boring that makes  the rest of the game boring, which doesn't make much sense at all. All the other stages were easy enough to understand, yet you cant enjoy it decently because of one mission that, in truth, isn't really all that hard. The camera isn't wonky at all, and thanks to the right analog stick you can move it around to help you see better, a feature that apparently can never be achieved in most 3d sonic games. As for graphics, come on, these games were back in 2k2-3, back then this were some of the best, if not average graphics for a typical ps2 game. Compare that to Shadow the Hedgehog, now that is a game with embarrassing graphics. That game was back in 2k6, and it's graphics are inferior to that of SA2! The gameplay to me more than makes up for the graphics anyway. It's like oldschool fighting where you could run in, cut through mobs and achieve the high score, only now they make it even more entertaining with the tate system. The stages were also very awesome looking, and had some of the best music I heard in video games at the time. I can't even believe you would even say Shadow was a better game, what a joke! There was nothing about that game at all that was good: Mediocre music, boring gameplay, a lame gun system where you had to stop running to pick up a weapon and then press a button and hope the game would target some monster because now all the original moves (homing attack etc.) dont do shit and enemies have life bars! What the hell is that? The only monsters in Sonic games that should have life bars are the bosses. So now homing is useless and I hafta stop running to pick up a gun so I can kill an enemy? Shadow was a disgrace, and no one should ever EVER try to compare it to another game to make it look good, cause it's a visual turd.   

Offline eggFL

« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2007, 02:12:40 pm »
Shinobi has a worse soundtrack than Shadow. You can definitely make a case for Nightshade though.

But let's start with this exercise. Which has a better soundtrack: Shinobi, or Nightshade?

The camera isn't wonky at all, and thanks to the right analog stick you can move it around to help you see better, a feature that apparently can never be achieved in most 3d sonic games.

I wouldn't use the right analog stick in either Shinobi or Nightshade because as I already said, the camera controls are WONKY AS ALL HELL. What I was saying was that using the right analog stick MAKES THINGS WORSE than not using it at all, which is an astounding accomplishment, and every time I try to move the camera, I am only reminded never to use it again.

Shadow the Hedgehog has camera controls too, only the camera in that game doesn't fly off the handles for no reason every time you attempt to move it.

Why the double standard?

Look I'm not saying Nightshade or Shinobi are terrible games. I know what they are about or what the intended appeal is. I had fun with them too. But they are easily mediocre games.

And the indoor fetch quest stage wasn't horrendously frustrating or anything, but it's nonetheless blatantly mediocre and lazy design, and the sad part is that if that stage was in Shadow the Hedgehog, it would be hands-down the worst stage in the game by a large margin. Even The Doom and Lost Impact had an actual structure and design to it and tons of landmarks as subtle as they may be, but not that Nightshade stage.

But beyond that, pretty much every Nightshade stage is more repetitive than any Shadow stage, so...

Anyway I thought I'd go download and post the link to this:
http://gh.ffshrine.org/song/2214/21

It's what is imo the only good music in Shinobi.

Offline MrNomad

« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2007, 02:30:57 pm »
I'm kinda surprised. Nightshade's music, better than shinobi's? It's got some good stage music, but Shinobi has a lot better music all around, stage, boss etc. And no, Shadow's music was bad, and only the intro was interesting at all. But whatever. I understand what you mean by Nightshade's stages being more repetitive, but then again it has a gameplay element I enjoy soo much more than Shadow. It doesn't matter whether you think Shadow had better stages, because its gameplay is so slow and boring that it kills the fun in it. And Shadow ISN'T repetitive? Just about every stage in it has you doing the same obstacle 4-5 times in a row. Oh look! An egg ship is near, time to go into another cave, break another box, and shoot another blob a couple times so you can grab the spring to the next gun turret and shoot another egg ship! (Taken from the canyon stage) And it's like that in every single stage. No offense, but you just sound hypocritical trying to defend Shadow. As for Shinobi/Nightshade being mediocre, well I found it a good game, with a style and gameplay I like that no other games have had, so sorry if it didn't try being another DMC game.

And now we're off topic, so this discussion is over!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 03:35:58 pm by MrNomad »

Offline eggFL

« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2007, 04:27:08 am »
Shinobi is ear-grinding "samurai" music, the melodies aren't great either.

Nightshade is much easier on the ears... but also has some way better tunes to boot. Stage 1, stage 2, boss theme (best one!), intro boss, and the bridge stage are my favorites. Stages like shinjuku and the container yard the music is so placid you can't help but enjoy them.

What Devil May Cry does is add variety, story, and adventure to the gameplay. Key-fetching and getting lost can be annoying, but it's better than nothing. DMC also has way better designs across the board.. better environments, way better enemies, and Dante isn't too bad himself.

It also has the fixed camera, which is both a good thing and a bad thing.

The bad part about DMC is that it's too hard, and it has a complicated combat system which is never explained, not even in the manual. No tutorial, they don't teach you what the buttons do, or how to juggle. There is an "easy mode" which does combos for you while you button mash, maybe you're supposed to watch and learn from that.

Anyway sorry I was just mad because I read a GT user blog that linked to an article "21 worst games of the 21st century" and guess what was on that list? Plus that article looked up gamerankings for the best and worst review of each game, Gametrailers happened to give the highest score, so they proceeded to make fun of the game site I visit most often as well. Also to top it off they listed Act Zero too, claiming the game was broken, even though it wasn't.

Offline Crowbar

« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2007, 03:00:50 pm »
DMC provides directions on how to execute every technique within the menus, right from when you actually purchase them (and even for ones you don't have to buy). DMC3 certainly does, anyway, pretty sure the first does too.

Offline eggFL

« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2007, 05:27:44 pm »
I forgot that you could buy moves.

See that's one of the other annoying things about DMC. You have a store. In a demonic castle, even.

Offline Crowbar

« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2007, 10:13:41 am »
Eh, it's as good as any other skill-acquisition system as far as I'm concerned.

Offline eggFL

« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2007, 10:44:07 am »
But it also means you have to go and stop somewhere, and use a menu. Also it means you have to collect stuff. Also if it was just moves then that's one thing, but they even make you buy extra lives.

Almost reminds me of Resident Evil's typewriter ribbons. (item that lets you save, oh great)

Anyway as for PSP it seems that its games library is far from its problem, but rather the hardware itself if anything. Controlling games is an issue considering the system has PS2-era games, and many shooters end up using the face buttons for aiming. Other issues are surprisingly long load times, and surprisingly short battery life, supposedly under 4 hours for playing games.

Also PSP slim can hook up to a TV, which effectively turns it into a home console, so that's awesome.

Anyway I thought of something the other day - they could make Shinobi/Nightshade on PSP. >_> Like might as well put both games on one disc. It would make a good PSP title cause camera controls aren't important.

Or better yet maybe tweak the gameplay and controls for PSP, and make an all-new sequel. Shinobi 2, or Nightshade 2.

Offline MrNomad

« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2007, 11:02:01 am »
Yesh yesh a shinobi/nightshade sequel would be nice but AGAIN you're derailing this topic -_- Just stay on GBA for now plz. You can talk about DMC and Shinobi in some other thread, k?

Offline eggFL

« Reply #56 on: December 14, 2007, 11:55:27 am »
but this topic is about PSP now

Offline MrNomad

« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2007, 11:27:17 am »
I dont care, I'm trying to play Virtua Fighter 5 and make a Joe Musashi Kage from the actual game and I'm also making YTP > > dammit.

Offline eggFL

« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2007, 01:13:23 pm »
what did you just say?

there is a character editor in VF5 and you're playing around with it?

Offline MrNomad

« Reply #59 on: December 30, 2007, 12:30:02 pm »
what did you just say?

there is a character editor in VF5 and you're playing around with it?
Ya > > Didnt you know that?

Print

Hits: 419 | Hits This Month: 2 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.18 MB | Time: 0.13s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.