don't click here

NiGHTS: JOD - Discussion Topic

Print

Author Topic: NiGHTS: JOD - Discussion Topic  (Read 20423 times)

Offline KnucklesSonic8

NiGHTS: JOD - Discussion Topic
« on: December 18, 2007, 04:22:04 pm »
So... I imagine SJ has it already but who else has picked up NiGHTS yet?

Care to discuss/share your impressions on it. Is it any good? Anyone try the Wi-Fi yet? It seems somewhat basic to me for some reason but it's welcomed, I'll give it that.

Otherwise, I imagine it won't get added (due to eggFL's fight for Christmas NiGHTS) but you can discuss your best times/scores and whatnot here as well.
Wiiloveit

Current Competition Focus: ---
Wants S&S All-Stars Racing

Offline eggFL

Re: NiGHTS: JOD - Discussion Topic
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 05:26:26 pm »
Did we ever explicitly discuss adding Journey of Dreams for competition? I know Christmas Nights got shot down but maybe JoD is a totally different story.... somehow. Also maybe things changed since then and we can add Christmas Nights as well. >_______> doesn't matter though

what surprises me is that the game actually got to come out this month despite the alleged story about it being pushed back to 2008. pwnd

props to anyone who gets it

Offline Shadow Jacky

• -Proprietor of /d/-
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • BEHOLD!
    • View Profile
    • I streams when on windows
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 05:59:46 pm »
is there another SJ around here that I dont know about?

I actually had no intentions of getting this game as I've yet to know anything abuot it besides from 1 trailer I saw.  Also I only played the first game and that was only a demo years ago...dont know if that joy still holds up to my tastes today.
my name has nothing to do with Shadow The Hedgehog

Completed Runs:
Sonic Heroes: Team Sonic: SS
Rocket Knight Adventures: Easy (US): SS

In the Future:
Aero The Acrobat (Genesis) | More...

Offline P.P.A.

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 06:02:52 am »
THESE IMAGES CONFISCATED FOR EVIDENCE

My YouTube profile. Lots of Sonic speedruns~

Offline Crowbar

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 10:30:36 am »
Wow, I hadn't heard his voice before but nothing could've prepared me for that.

Offline Stardust Speedman

• Jorn del Judici
  • TSC: Siavash Tazari
  • win10 chrome
  • That beautiful Lady in my avatar is my wife! Yeah!
    • View Profile
There is no sense crying over every mistake! You just keep on trying till you run out of cake!

Offline eggFL

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 02:13:37 pm »
What are you talking about PPA, Nights' voice is awesome. The entire voice cast got the feel down perfectly.

And fyi ukresistance are the same losers who thought Riders might have been a good game purely because Cream the Rabbit is in it (they claim to look up her skirt in Heroes on the front page) .. they don't know what they're talking about, they are blue sky PS3 hating morons who make fun of everything.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 02:57:35 pm by eggFL »

Offline P.P.A.

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2007, 03:31:00 pm »
ukr is awesome ok. As with the Riders thing, learn to spot when someone makes a joke.

What are you talking about PPA, Nights' voice is awesome. The entire voice cast got the feel down perfectly.
Did you ever play the original NiGHTS, btw?

Offline eggFL

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2007, 04:21:58 pm »
For christ's sake they are more excited about Sega Superstars Tennis than anything else. The site is fun to read but they are out of touch elitist Sega fanboys who bash stuff for no reason.

anyway yes, I owned the original Nights. (and loved it) incidentally, I have it today as well

Offline KnucklesSonic8

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2007, 06:37:01 pm »
is there another SJ around here that I dont know about?

I actually had no intentions of getting this game as I've yet to know anything abuot it besides from 1 trailer I saw.  Also I only played the first game and that was only a demo years ago...dont know if that joy still holds up to my tastes today.

Whoops! I was thinking of Auriman.
How do I get you two mixed up? XD
Wiiloveit

Current Competition Focus: ---
Wants S&S All-Stars Racing

Offline P.P.A.

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2007, 06:29:11 am »
The developers not only did that cutscene and voice actor nonsense; no, they also completely ruined the gameplay. Why can I say this without having played the game? Because I know DOING COMBOS EXTENDS THE TIME LIMIT. That means you can now get infinite scores, which ruins the only aspect of NiGHTS - the score attacking. NiGHTS into Dreams... was only and only about building up high scores - going faster so you can do more laps within the given time limit, linking more items together... And now they completely destroyed the core of the game. Wow. But I'm sure they instead spam the player with shitty missions or the likes nobody gives a fuck about.

Offline eggFL

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2007, 07:08:29 am »
Yea but how do you know if the scoring is actually broken as a result? Or maybe it is, but the game is good even without score attacking. I wouldn't know. But I look forward to when I try the game for myself.

Offline P.P.A.

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2007, 08:00:48 am »
The scoring is broken, because you can exceed the time limit infinitely hence racking up points forever.

• Jorn del Judici
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2007, 08:39:40 am »
I haven't played the original Nights, so I'm not exactly sure what you are talking about. But, it is impossible that you now can get infinite score! Why? Remember, the game has still a rank system. If you can get infinite score, than you also can always get the highest rank, which makes no sence, so, this just can't be the case. After all, if you can get infinite score, why should you have a score system at all? You can be sure that they don't add anything to the game that makes absolutely no sence. Play the games before you judge about them!
There is no sense crying over every mistake! You just keep on trying till you run out of cake!

Offline P.P.A.

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2007, 11:51:30 am »
You can be sure that they don't add anything to the game that makes absolutely no sence.
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
Shadow and guns. Heroes and the team feature. Advance 3 and the partner thing. Want me to go on?

Play the games before you judge about them!
Okay you're right here.

• Jorn del Judici
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2007, 12:28:44 pm »
All those things that you describe as nonesence make absolute sence. Sonic Heroes and Shadow are not normal Sonic games. They are spin-offs and have the right to have features you usually don't see in a normal Sonic game. It's similar with Advance 3. The partner character gives you some additional skills which are usually useful for exploration. But if you don't like them, don't use them. You may have to select a partner character, but if you find your partner anoying and don't want to make any use of the special abilities she/she has, just let her/him fall behind. There is nothing absolutely nonesensical in any of those games.

Offline P.P.A.

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2007, 12:35:20 pm »
All those things that you describe as nonesence make absolute sence. Sonic Heroes and Shadow are not normal Sonic games. They are spin-offs and have the right to have features you usually don't see in a normal Sonic game. It's similar with Advance 3.
Heroes and Advance 3 were not spin-offs. They were fully meant to be part of the main series. And Shadow was far too similiar in gameplay to be considered a spin-off.
The partner character gives you some additional skills which are usually useful for exploration. But if you don't like them, don't use them. You may have to select a partner character, but if you find your partner anoying and don't want to make any use of the special abilities she/she has, just let her/him fall behind.
Too bad the game almost forces you to use them. Even if you manage to get through the levels without using them, you're slow as fuck.
There is nothing absolutely nonesensical in any of those games.

Offline GerbilSoft

• Architect of the Matrix
  • TSC Profile
  • linux firefox
  • RickRotate'd.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2007, 12:44:12 pm »
All those things that you describe as nonesence make absolute sence. Sonic Heroes and Shadow are not normal Sonic games.

Didn't Sega say that they were going back to Sonic's "roots" with the release of Sonic Heroes? Now, please show me where in any of the MD games you have to play as 3 characters simultaneously and switch between them in order to get through 15-minute levels.

Also, Sonic Genesis for GBA. Enough said.

Offline eggFL

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2007, 04:58:42 pm »
The scoring is broken, because you can exceed the time limit infinitely hence racking up points forever.

Are you actually sure about this? Or is it a guess based on what a review or someone said about the game.

Didn't Sega say that they were going back to Sonic's "roots" with the release of Sonic Heroes? Now, please show me where in any of the MD games you have to play as 3 characters simultaneously and switch between them in order to get through 15-minute levels.

you make it sound as if 15 minute levels is a bad thing. That's crazy. The longer, the better. Plus, heroes was epic in this regard.

Also, Sonic Genesis for GBA. Enough said.

And Rivals 1-2, Advance 1-3, Rush, Rush Adventure, etc

of course there are bad Sonic games. And yea, particularly handheld ones. But the good ones were spiffy ok. Making team-based game or 'gloomy Shadow w guns' game was pretty annoying. But these were solid games regardless...

If your point is that Sonic Team is off their rocker in general, then yea I am not denying that. Sonic series is in a CRISIS. But not everything coming out from it it crap, far from it.

Games in general are just not that good you know. Sonic stands out.

edit: oh and as for Nights, I have yet to find any compelling evidence that it jumped the shark. The worst thing I find about the game at this point is that Nights's get-hit animations seems half-arsed.

Offline P.P.A.

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2007, 05:51:23 am »

Are you actually sure about this? Or is it a guess based on what a review or someone said about the game.
I saw it in a gameplay video.

you make it sound as if 15 minute levels is a bad thing. That's crazy. The longer, the better. Plus, heroes was epic in this regard.
because it is something bad. I already hated S3&K's levels for being so damn long. Sonic levels should be completable fast! Which doesn't mean they have to be easy or short - take Sonic CD: The stages are huge and complex with a lot of space to explore, yet almost all of them are completable in less than 30 seconds if done right - the perfect balance.
The longer, the worse I say. And yeah, Heroes was epic in this regard. An epic failure.
SA2 aside, I hate all Sonic games where you're fixed on one path. You can#t explore the levels or find you own way to the goal but are forced to go the same route all the time. That's why I like Sonic R, it gave you a lot of freedom. :o
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 05:57:18 am by P.P.A. »

Offline eggFL

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2007, 07:00:05 am »
Sonic Knuckles had really long stages but that was one of the best parts about it. They felt all the more epic. And it's especially suited for Sandopolis and Lava Reef.

Being able to beat a stage in 30 seconds is not a good quality. It just punishes me for being good. I'd go so far as to say it's bad design. And the problem with Sonic R is that it's so damn short and most of the courses are wasted/obsolete because there is always the fastest route which allows you to make laps in under 20 seconds. That is by no means a good thing. The "depth" is purely a liability.

SA2's courses are pretty linear but the problem is when they are too short. Sky Rail is a joke... being able to jump over half the level and end it in under a minute is just totally flawed.

Offline Rayku

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2007, 12:06:27 am »
I'd like to put my 2 cents in, if anyone wouldn't mind:

NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams, gets a 7.5/10 from me.

The graphics were sub-par, they could have been better. The movie-cutscenes were outstanding, but gameplay/normal cutscenes could have been very much improved. The main thing that saved the game for me was gameplay (the part that matters), the music, and the fact that I think this game can go competitive. People say that one can go infinite score. I've tried this, and the timer counts more towards your score than going through rings does. Also, it's very difficult to not beat the level and keep your score chain going.

I love this game, it will keep me occupied until the release of Brawl and probably even more afterwards. The bosses were annoying (some of them, others were mad fun) and the game overall is a very very fun game to play.

I feel, though, that Sonic Team could have easily made this a far better game. I could have waited until next year without any complaints, because it could have used some serious work. Without the help of Yuji Naka, however, I feel that the creators of the game did very well in making the gameplay what it was supposed to be.

Like I said, gameplay is awesome. If you care more about the story/graphics, it sucks. Otherwise, most other aspects were very very good.

Offline Waxwings

« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2007, 01:15:12 am »
I feel, though, that Sonic Team could have easily made this a far better game. I could have waited until next year without any complaints, because it could have used some serious work. Without the help of Yuji Naka, however, I feel that the creators of the game did very well in making the gameplay what it was supposed to be.

Like I said, gameplay is awesome. If you care more about the story/graphics, it sucks. Otherwise, most other aspects were very very good.

Shame. That's pretty much similar to most recent Sonic games.

Offline eggFL

« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2007, 01:55:58 am »
except that Sonic games have good graphics....

riight?

Offline P.P.A.

« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2007, 06:45:59 am »
What about the score attacking? Is it left untouched? After all that was the only point of the first game.
And please tell me they didn't throw in any stupid bonus objectives to add "variety". D:

Also I will get it as soon as it's released here (around January).

Print

Hits: 215 | Hits This Month: 1 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.20 MB | Time: 1.70s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.