don't click here

Favorite Anime/Manga

Print

Author Topic: Favorite Anime/Manga  (Read 30630 times)

Offline ieatatsonic

• TSC's Resident Otaku
  • TSC Profile
  • winxp chrome
  • I started spriting
    • View Profile
Favorite Anime/Manga
« on: October 28, 2007, 03:59:58 pm »
I'd like to know what everybody's( If you have one) favorite anime/manga.

I've made a list of what mine are and a small synopsis of what they're about. I have put them in order from favorite to least favorite:

• 1. Bobobo-bobo-bobo. It's about a person named bobobo(spanish for fool) who is out to stop a group of people who are out to steal everybody's hair.
  • 2. Reborn! It's about a kid named Tsunayoshi who is the 10th generation boss of the mafia.
  • 3. Dr. Slump. It's about a doctor( more of an inventor) who builds a female robot named Arale.
  • 4. Naruto. It's about a young ninja named Naruto who has a dream of becoming hokage(leader-like person) of his village.
  • 5. Bleach. It's about a teenager named Ichigo who can see ghosts and because of which becomes a soul slayer(a person who uses a special sword to slay hollows(a soul that's, say, "evil"))
  • 6. Ouran highscool host club. It's about a girl named Haruhi who poses as a boy so she can pay off a debt that started because she broke a vase.
  • 7. One Piece. It's about a young pirate named Luffy who wants to find a giant treasure and be king of the pirates.
  • 8. Yu-gi-oh. It's about a boy named Yugi who's friends and himself are obsessed with a card game called Duel monsters, and Yugi finds that the soul of a pharoh shares a body with him.
  • 9. Trigun. It's about a wanted man who has two ladies from an insurance company following him.
  • 10. Yuyu hakusho. It's about a teenager named Yusuke who after he dies, makes a deal with the ruler of the underworld to be alive again, only to find that he then has to be a detective from the underworld.

So, if you have a favorite manga/anime, post it here.
Happiness cannot be bought but instead be achieved via countless hours of self-torture.

Offline ieatatsonic

• TSC's Resident Otaku
  • TSC Profile
  • winxp chrome
  • I started spriting
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Anime/Manga
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 04:01:44 pm »
I just noticed that I posted this topic in the rong area! =^) Oh well.
Happiness cannot be bought but instead be achieved via countless hours of self-torture.

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007, 04:46:05 pm »
The only anime Ive watched like, every episode of is School Days.

While it was good it was higly depressing and all of the characters needed to be beaten with Clubs of Common Sense+1
Did you not think I had a mind?

Offline Zeupar

• The Watcher
  • Architect of the Matrix
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • Sonical!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel (speedruns and travel videos)
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 05:06:43 pm »
Animes:

- Dragon Ball

- Full Metal Alchemist

- Aim for the top! Gunbuster

- s-CRY-ed

- Bleach

- Naruto (altought the fillers almost ruined it <_<)

- Video Girl Ai

Mangas:

- Dragon Ball

- Rurouni Kenshin

- Naruto

Fail collection: 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5.
:o - :O - X) - :D
https://youtu.be/qpT5Md4TPJg?t=221

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2007, 05:17:54 pm »
Some of my favorite anime include:
- The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
- Fooly Cooly (aka FLCL)
- Paranoia Agent
- Death Note
- Tenchi Universe
- Bleach
- Rurouni Kenshin
- Inuyasha
- Naruto (Jap. dubs preferred)
- FullMetal Alchemist

I'm sure there's others, but those are the first that came to mind
Never forget who you are.
DeviantART account: (link)

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2007, 05:20:42 pm »
:O

I am currently downloading The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya<3<3<3
Did you not think I had a mind?

Offline Shadow Jacky

• -Proprietor of /d/-
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • BEHOLD!
    • View Profile
    • I streams when on windows
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2007, 07:08:10 pm »
I should find all the eps to Cromartie High.
my name has nothing to do with Shadow The Hedgehog

Completed Runs:
Sonic Heroes: Team Sonic: SS
Rocket Knight Adventures: Easy (US): SS

In the Future:
Aero The Acrobat (Genesis) | More...

Offline General Throatstomper

• I can't think of anything witty :(
  • TSC: blueblaze
  • win8 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2007, 08:53:53 pm »
I've never liked anime, with the exception of Samurai Pizza Cats which was an amazing show because it made fun of all the hokey conventions the genre follows. You should all watch it. Seriously. It's more than 10 years old, so it's great by default.

I HOPE YOU DO

Offline Groudon

• 1 hour, 39 minutes, 52 seconds
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Groudon199
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2007, 09:00:28 pm »
Not a large variation on anime, but I'll list shows I've seen.

Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo: Very stupid, but funny.  Very bizarre show, as well as a bizarre series finale.
Pokemon: Not really sure what keeps me watching this (it's not Ash's lack of seeing through Team Rocket's disguises or TR's failures, I'll tell you that).
Yu-Gi-Oh: Saw the whole series, and it was decent.
Yu-Gi-Oh GX: Same old thing, got dull after a while.
Naruto: Got very boring over time.
Zatch Bell: Show about a demon battle of sorts.  No longer airing on Toonami, so I've been without the show for months.
IGPX: Saw first season, second season was too similar plus it wasn't on until late.

Older shows

Sailor Moon: I saw a couple episodes years back, but not enough to remember much.
Dragonball Z: Same as above.
Digimon: Off-and-on with watching, currently off, though that might change when it airs on Cartoon Network.
InuYasha: Good anime, but quickly lost interest in it.
Vandread: Saw a couple episodes, but very few.
Comic Party Revolution: Gotta love video on demand.  However, after the 4th episode, the show was dropped from the lineup.
Gundam Wing: Wow... what was it, one episode?  But I do remember seeing an episode years ago.
Prince of Tennis: Probably saw two episodes, but I didn't like it.
Mar: Probably just one.

Offline sonicam

• TSC's Most Easily Irritated Member
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2007, 09:08:31 pm »
Yugioh
Gundam series (Mobile Suit, Wing, 8th MS Team, etc; wasn't too fond of Seed)
Pokemon (Indigo & Orange Islands series)
Outlaw Star - fantastic show
Tenchi series (Muyo, In Tokyo, Universe) - <3
MegaMan NT Warrior
Dragon Ball & Z
Ruroni Kension
Inuyasha

I don't watch any anymore. They took all the good stuff away. :( GX is horrible, Seed wasn't good, Pokemon after it's first few years was trash, etc...

Chaos Emeralds: Yellow, Red, Green, Blue and Purple.
Keys: Light Blue.

Click here to level up my card!

Offline eggFL

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2007, 10:19:43 pm »
my favorite anime:

Gundam Seed - about a war between normal humans ("naturals") from earth and genetically enhanced "coordinators" who live in space. But a sensitive coordinator boy named Kira is swept up with his friends when their home (a neutral space colony) blows up and he is the only one who can pilot a Gundam which is earth's new mech that is too complex for a Natural to pilot. Kira has to fight coordinators to save himself and his friends and this leads him to have to fight against his childhood friend Asuran. (who has a Gundam of his own) It's so sad!! and explosive. and sexy. and crazy melodramatic.
youtube - 3rd opening

Gundam Seed Destiny - sequel to Gundam Seed. But this time it's about a boy named Shin Asuka who's family was killed during a battle in the first Gundam Seed and who two years later becomes a pro pilot for an experimental type of new modular Gundam and is now sent alongside Asuran to fight a group of 3 brainwashed pilots who are exploited by an earth army. A war happens and all the characters from the first show are eventually swept up into it (which is complained about a lot by Gundam fans for ruining the plot and being fanservice) but at its best when it's just about Asuran and Shin and the original cast. But this show is always faster paced and more fantastic than the first Gundam Seed, not to mention it features a lot of the most brilliant mech designs ever. I personally like Destiny much more than the first Seed.
youtube - episode 2 *recommended watch*

(I look forward to Gundam 00 since it seems to borrow a bit from Gundam Seed. Only not as much as I thought, it seems...)

Kare Kano - really cute anime about two overachievers who develop a huge crush on each other.
youtube - ep 8 and intro for what its worth.. (no english and the intro to this show is pretty lame)

Yugioh Duel Monsters - Anime with crazy character design, awesome goth motif, terrific music, and some cool ideas such as duel discs and the most dramatic pubertal transformation ever in an anime. It's really a show about cool characters yelling banter at each other which is why I like it. (When you get right down to it, fighting with cards is no different than fighting with fists as far as anime goes.)
youtube - intro + ep 170

Yugioh ("season 0") - The super janky original Yugioh anime in which Yugi plays games besides Duel Monsters, including challenges he makes up on the fly on unsuspecting everyday villains. Shows the origin of Yami Yugi, and how Yugi first met Kaiba (who had green hair) and Bakura, as well as introduces Duel Monsters, which plays nothing like the version we know today.
youtube - intro + ep 1

Welcome to the NHK - Story about a guy named Satou who fell into a spiral of apathy and before he knew it failed out of school and gradually become completely reclusive and a loser. A "hikikomori" who barely leaves his flat anymore. Story begins when he, being like this for years now, is met by a quiet and naive girl (Misaki) from a religious family and who afterwards intends to cure him and now won't leave him alone even though he is totally uncomfortable around her. Also early in the story he meets an old classmate (Yamazaki) who happens to now live nearby and is an otaku nerd who doesn't get along with his parents. The story is mostly about the three of them (and others) and their antics and their depression, and how they try to find out how make their lives work. It's can be a bit over-the-top at times and has a lot of funny moments but it's a serious and very dark story and it's one of the heaviest and most moving animes I've seen. Be warned as many consider it extremely depressing and are turned away by that, undoubtedly because it hits so close to home.
dailymotion - part of episode 5, but no english. but at least lets you get a feel of the show is like and shows off the three main characters. In this episode Satou is still trying to convince the girl (and himself) that he's not a hikikomori but in fact a programmer. In order to do this, he visits Yamazaki and agrees to help him make a hentai game, which he is making in order to help impress his friends at a game design school.

Ryuusei no Rockman (aka Megaman Star Force) - fun anime about a boy who merges with an invisible alien being to become Megaman. As Megaman he can pass through physical matter and turn invisible on a whim and can ride electromagnetic waves. He has to fight other characters who merged with humans much like himself, including a pop idol who attacks by shooting lasers from her guitar. Odd thing about this anime is that its episodes are under 10 minutes along since it shares its time slot with another short anime. (the english version is actually 2 episodes put together + filler/recaps)
dailymotion - episode 19 in its entirety

manga:
Kare Kano - because the manga continues off where the anime left off
Yugioh - because its how I got to see the pre-Duel Monsters story arc before I even knew about the original Yugioh aka "season 0".
manga is expensive and of those I read I didnt like that much or enjoyed better as anime.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 09:22:40 am by eggFL »

Offline magnum12

• Awesome Overlord of TMMC
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2007, 10:53:23 pm »
Hmm. Interesting topic. Might as well put in my two cents.

-Naruto: Depends on the story arc. The Chunin exam part 2 arc was pretty good overall. The Tsunade arc started strong, had a crappy middle, and the ending was good. Then there was the boring mini filler arc (I hate filler.) Now would be a good time to start watching again, since the Sasuke's Betrayal arc is supposed to be real good. The VA is decent but depends on the character. The worst one in the bunch is Naruto himself. It should be noted that the cast of this series does the VA for the Tales (more well known for Tales of the Abyss) and Disgaea series.

-Yu-gi-oh: Manga's better, but I like the uncut episodes. (Free from some of 4Kids infamous retarded editing.) The Abriged Series is a a laugh riot. GX just sucks.

-DBZ: Funimation does a decent job with the dub and the uncut episodes.

-Pokemon: Went straight to hell after the dub change. Who wants to hear Brock sound like a drunk hobo?

-Sonic X: Either I haven't watched much of this, or the VA in ShtH sounds better than the anime. Could have been promising, but it apparently suffers from pointless editing. Based on the game, Shadow sounds alright, Amy sounds better than the old one, Espio sounds more ninja like than the old one, Egg Man does a good job, and Rouge is just horrible. As much as I hate Sonic 06, I have to admit that Mephiles was pretty well done. (Both as a villian and in the voice.) Sounds like the hateful, manipulative, nihlistic corruptor his personality indicates.
Ever know what its like to get pwned by a book? Sonic certainly does.

Offline Shadow Jacky

• -Proprietor of /d/-
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • BEHOLD!
    • View Profile
    • I streams when on windows
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2007, 01:45:46 am »
damn, if I was to list every anime I've seen...well I just wouldn't be able to :/
my name has nothing to do with Shadow The Hedgehog

Completed Runs:
Sonic Heroes: Team Sonic: SS
Rocket Knight Adventures: Easy (US): SS

In the Future:
Aero The Acrobat (Genesis) | More...

Offline ieatatsonic

• TSC's Resident Otaku
  • TSC Profile
  • winxp chrome
  • I started spriting
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2007, 09:14:21 am »
I've never liked anime, with the exception of Samurai Pizza Cats which was an amazing show because it made fun of all the hokey conventions the genre follows. You should all watch it. Seriously. It's more than 10 years old, so it's great by default.
I've watched a few episodes of that show, though I lost interest.

Offline P.P.A.

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2007, 09:22:14 am »
I don't really like anime that much... If it's based on a manga (so like in most cases), the manga is always better.
Anime that are awesome though are the Sonic OVA (the only Sonic animation that manages to port the feeling of the games, without being utter shit), the first Digimon season which was surprisingly good, and my favourite anime series EVAR, the Record of Lodoss War OVA. Too bad the 4th DVD of my DVD box is somehow broken. It looks all weird and doesn't play. D:

As for manga, my favourites are:
  • Dr. Slump - Hilarious. Also this was the first manga I ever read. :o
  • Ranma 1/2 - Not much to say, it's a classic. A well-deserving one.
  • Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle - The 12th book will make you cry. ;-;
  • Wish - Touching. The drawings are a bit ugly sometimes, but that doesn't matter. It manages to build up a very strong atmosphere. Also if you read it a second time after you know what happens in the last chapters (won't spoil it, but it's a big and sad surprise), it... builds up a very sad atmosphere. I DON'T KNOW HOW TO PUT IT
  • Fullmoon wo Sagashite - Also has some emotional moments. And Arina Tanemura's drawings are awesome.
  • Shinshi Doumei Cross - Latest Arina Tanemura manga, once again beating all of its predecessors with even more beautiful drawings, better story and deeper characters. Awesome.
  • Chobits - <3<3<3

I KNOW SOME ARE ALL A BIT ON THE GIRLY SIDE BUT WHATEVER
THESE IMAGES CONFISCATED FOR EVIDENCE

My YouTube profile. Lots of Sonic speedruns~

Offline SuperSonic94

• More Faster Than Sonic =O
  • TSC Profile
  • winxp msie6
  • Part of the favorite team =D!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2007, 10:40:52 am »
I love Dragon Ball (I think is 1983 or I dont know), Dragon Ball Z (1986) and Dragon Ball GT (1996), the best anime ever!!
Good bye for now Sonic =(

Offline ieatatsonic

• TSC's Resident Otaku
  • TSC Profile
  • winxp chrome
  • I started spriting
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2007, 06:52:09 pm »
If you've read the 4th ( I think 4th) book of Dragon ball you'll know what Dr. Slump is.

Offline eggFL

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2007, 08:02:16 pm »
Honorable mentions:

anime I liked but maybe aren't my favorites:
- Dragon Ball Z - always considered this a fun and exotic anime in its Japanese version. Watching subs of late episodes that someone brought in for lunchtime at school was good times. I don't like the localized version, the feel is lost with the altered soundtrack and voices.
 - Sonic The Hedgehog - Yea from the time I first saw this in Sonic Jam to the time it first came out in USA and I got it on VHS, I thought it like was the greatest thing ever. I loved showing it to friends who might never have heard of any Sonic cartoon besides the american ones. A lot of my appreciation for it back then was strengthened perhaps by my "weeaboo" or elitist view of Sonic (well deserved however) - I liked how it had the real Robotnik and how it had human characters, which I considered to be a hip Japanese convention, and how it had cities. (two of them) I stopped caring about this anime after Sonic Adventure, Shadow, the Robotnik redesign, etc, but I have come to appreciate this anime again. It was really ahead of its time. And despite being a low budget anime there's nothing particularly annoying about it besides perhaps the way Knuckles is portrayed, with his sunglasses, bag o' loot, and random as hell hat which I at one time concluded is there solely for the "my hat is on fire" joke at the end. (Just I wish they could make another animation as good as this. I have for a while now thought it was about time Sonic is given back to an american company and a series made that's a lot closer to the games, now that the games established the Sonic world. So we can have a cool, authentic Sonic american cartoon that has good american animation that suits Sonic in favor of choppy low quality anime and horrible anime cliches like Chris.)

anime I had mixed feelings about:
 - Pokemon Advance - the only Pokemon I really liked. It's a fun series but Advance has improved graphics, the improved return of Jesse and James, as well as the return of Brock and the introduction of May to replace Misty (yay) and shiny new outfits for everyone. But the show focuses on Pokemon. Pokemon are retarded. They say their own names over and over. That's really dumb! I will never get over that.
 - MS Gundam and Z Gundam - These are serieses that may not appeal to me but I respect them a lot. These are two of my bro's favorite anime. And while I like Seed better (he likes Seed and MS Gundam but for seperate reasons, as he puts it) the mobile suits in Z Gundam are extremely sexy and will always hold up. And the idea behind Z Gundam, the whole anime convention of swapping casts and then re-introducing older characters, is very cool to me. In this regard Z Gundam is the basis for Gundam Seed Destiny and has many parallels. I also consider it the basis for Megaman X7, which is an aspect of the game I actually thought was neat.

anime I saw to the end but...:
 - FLCL - I appreciate a lot about FLCL including its innovative presentation and its sense of mood, and its art style. But I don't like the asinine elements and its pretentious messages. (not to mention all of the perverse metaphors) I just can't get over it.
 - Rahxephon - One of the most asinine anime I have ever seen. It doesn't make any sense most of the time, but hey, it has a sweet art style and cute girls. At times even the story is really intense and this series may be worth it for just a handful of amazing episodes. But the beginning is very slow and toward the final episodes it loses it. As with many Gainax anime, the conclusion leaves a very odd taste in my mouth. And repeats this scene so many times it's not even funny: where the guy is visited by one of the mysterious girls, who disappears when he blinks. (and may reappear behind him to continue the conversation) I mean what the hell is that? But man... mysterious!!! -_-;;;
- Nadia - I had to watch this anime to the end before I realized that it sucks. So that's not bad. It starts off ok. The first season and a half maybe are pretty good. But it just gets worse. The show is criticized for its "infamous island episodes" in which a season's worth of filler episodes in which the budget and writing quality suddenly drops because they were sold out to another company, but I liked many of those episodes. It's the episodes immediately afterward all the way to the final showdown that ruined everything for me. The final episode was cool but the anime as a whole still left a very poor taste in my mouth.
 - Chobits - I liked a lot about this including the characters (I love them all except for Chi and Hideki) and the art style. But I am turned off by the heavy presence of fan service and the preachiness and asburdity of the plot.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 11:09:14 pm by eggFL »

Offline Crowbar

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2007, 08:54:24 pm »
I don't really like anime that much... If it's based on a manga (so like in most cases), the manga is always better.

Though my experience in this field is limited, I have to agree.

Dragonball Z is pretty dire as an anime, but the manga is very entertaining. Dragonball I can't comment on the anime as I've never watched it, but I've been steadily picking up manga volumes for a while (only up to 8, though).

Read alot of Ranma 1/2 years ago (belonging to a friend, up to maybe vol 13), and loved every bit of it. Recently picked up the 1st volume for myself. Might continue to get more if I can be bothered.

As for anime, I only recently started actually downloading it for myself, but so far I've watched Haruhi (excellent), Lucky Star (I want to say it's horrible but I'd be lying if I claimed not to have enjoyed it) and Azumanga Daioh (amazing, of course, wish I'd watched it 5 years ago like everybody else did, though...must get the DVDs), and right now I'm halfway through Midori no Hibi, which I'm utterly loving. Watched Chobits, which was given to me by a friend, too, but I'm a bit "eh" on that. It's cute, but seems to be missing something in its execution. Also I find it hard to believe that any relationship between Chii and Hideki could possibly be healthy. Maybe the manga's better.

I'm also a Studio Ghibli fan. My favourite, though, is "Only Yesterday", which nobody's heard of because it wasn't directed by Miyazaki. :( Totoro's my second favourite but this is just such a wonderful film that doesn't get the attention it deserves. "My Neighbours the Tanakas" and "Pom Poko" are also excellent and underappreciated.

Oh yeah, and people need to read the manga of Nausicaa. It shames the movie version, seriously.

Other things I couldn't fit in the rest of this post: I <3 FLCL, despite possible accusations of excessive weirdness for the sake of it. The first anime I watched alot of other than DBZ was Eva...which I can't comment on until I see it again (I wasn't really at an age where I could fully appreciate anything, never mind something like Eva). I recently picked up the first volume of Yotsuba&! (by the creator of Azumanga Daioh) and it's brilliant.

Also I made myself watch all three seasons of Sonic X. The first two were DIRE, even subbed, but, I have to confess, I actually enjoyed the third season, even though I had to watch it dubbed (and I know how many crucial elements were cut, played down, or screwed around with in the dub). I dunno, it just seemed so much more fun to me, no dicking about with a full cast of uninspiring cliché human characters, just Sonic and the gang going on a big dumb adventure in space. Even Chris was tolerable! Maybe my standards were just lowered by the first two seasons, which were a chore to sit through, but I can't deny I was entertained throughout basically every episode.

Though the way all the furries were able to breathe, fly, and talk in the hard vacuum of space made my head hurt a bit.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 08:59:41 pm by Crowbar »

Offline P.P.A.

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2007, 04:43:58 am »
Ah, I forgot Laputa/Castle In The Sky. (By Ghilbi.) That film rocks (and also inspired Sonic 3 & Knuckles. :o)

Offline eggFL

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2007, 05:29:53 am »
Ah, I forgot Laputa/Castle In The Sky. (By Ghilbi.) That film rocks (and also inspired Sonic 3 & Knuckles. :o)

Seriously? Man now I have to see it.

I would totally believe that too, considering that Chaos Emeralds and Super Sonic are so obviously and proudly derived from Dragon Ball Z. X|

Offline Magnezone

• Broseidon
  • TSC: SkyLights
  • win7 firefox
  • YOU CAN PROBABLY READ MY POSTS BETTER NOW
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2007, 05:49:17 am »
Heh. I watched the Sonic Adventure/2 arcs of Sonic X and found it pretty annoying how Chris always kept butting in for some random dumbassery. I liked it when Chris wasn't around though, but that was almost never. But of course, the reason I watched those arcs in particular was only for seeing Tikal... do nothing. It depressed me. Then someone told me that Tikal was in the third season, handed me like 24 episodes or something and wouldn't tell me which one Tikal was in. It was an amazing plan that almost got me to watch the whole season, but once I found out the part with Tikal was just a cut-and-paste scene from the Adventure episodes, I was twenty four times more depressed about the show. :( Oh well.

I liked watching the Indigo season of Pokemon a lot when it was on TV in 4th grade. Most of the time it seemed like Ash would be involved in something chaotic and he'd happen to find some random amusing solution using his pokemon, and it put a lot more depth into an already deep series. Of course, when Johto came around, it was more like happy-friend time between Ash and random-new-person-they-meet, and he'd just dawdle in the same place for ages and take a nap and get superpowered pokemon that shoudn't have the power they supposedly have, or something... bah. I haven't bothered with the pokemon anime since.

The Viewtiful Joe anime seemed to have a strong start, but quickly became like Sonic X to me in that it added a Chris character to the mix. I mean, god damnit. I just want to see Viewtiful Joe kicking people's asses, not some random kid in a Captain Blue suit being like "YEAHHHH JOE IS MY HERO YAAAAAAAAAY" every five seconds. Is this too much to ask?!

More recently, I found that the Tales of Symphonia anime isn't too bad. It cuts a lot of the stupid crap in the main storyline in the actual game that I tend not to care to hear about every minute, and there's a good amount of fluid action. It's hard for me to find anything to complain about it. Though I only know of the existence of three episodes thus far, which is my only disappointment with the series so far. :(

In terms of actual anime's (not video-game related), the only two I have really watched are DBZ and Gundam Wing.  Gundam Wing was always a blast to watch, but for some reason I never really got into watching it. DBZ was pretty good until after Frieza; things just got completely ridiculous after that. Not that it wasn't ridiculous before (9000 come to mind?), but the characters seemed much more balanced before the Cell saga began.

Offline Crowbar

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2007, 08:04:52 am »
In terms of actual anime's (not video-game related), the only two I have really watched are DBZ and Gundam Wing.  Gundam Wing was always a blast to watch, but for some reason I never really got into watching it. DBZ was pretty good until after Frieza; things just got completely ridiculous after that. Not that it wasn't ridiculous before (9000 come to mind?), but the characters seemed much more balanced before the Cell saga began.

Yeah, DBZ's frustrating for anybody who's a fan of Dragonball. Great characters like Yamcha, Tien, and Krillin are just completely obsolete (though actually I think this happens a fair bit even within DB).

Offline ieatatsonic

• TSC's Resident Otaku
  • TSC Profile
  • winxp chrome
  • I started spriting
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2007, 06:00:33 pm »
Seriosly!?! I didn't know that! I got the video for my 4th birthday, though I've lost it and can't find it.

Offline P.P.A.

Offline eggFL

« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2007, 06:14:00 am »
that's really interesting. thanks for the link.

Offline ieatatsonic

• TSC's Resident Otaku
  • TSC Profile
  • winxp chrome
  • I started spriting
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2007, 09:22:04 am »
I never noticed that! Probably because I've only gotten to Flying Battery zone act1 in S3K.

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2007, 09:45:12 pm »
Great Teacher Onizuka
Serial Experiments Lain
My-Hime
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Ranma 1/2
Fullmetal Alchemist
Akira
Ghost in the Shell

Manga

One Piece
Bleach
Naruto
Rurouni Kenshin
D. Gray Man (all of the above manga is so much better then it's anime counterpart in my opinion)
Shounan Junai Gumi
W€£ $€ÄÑ¥ ßÕ¥ 2K7 says: (11:10:17 PM)
my sis said she fancied EGGMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

W€£ $€ÄÑ¥ ßÕ¥ 2K7 says: (11:29:08 PM)
who knew u could bend water with plastic

Offline Alondite

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2007, 04:12:58 pm »
I'd like to know what everybody's( If you have one) favorite anime/manga.

I've made a list of what mine are and a small synopsis of what they're about. I have put them in order from favorite to least favorite:

• 1. Bobobo-bobo-bobo. It's about a person named bobobo(spanish for fool) who is out to stop a group of people who are out to steal everybody's hair.
  • 2. Reborn! It's about a kid named Tsunayoshi who is the 10th generation boss of the mafia.
  • 3. Dr. Slump. It's about a doctor( more of an inventor) who builds a female robot named Arale.
  • 4. Naruto. It's about a young ninja named Naruto who has a dream of becoming hokage(leader-like person) of his village.
  • 5. Bleach. It's about a teenager named Ichigo who can see ghosts and because of which becomes a soul slayer(a person who uses a special sword to slay hollows(a soul that's, say, "evil"))
  • 6. Ouran highscool host club. It's about a girl named Haruhi who poses as a boy so she can pay off a debt that started because she broke a vase.
  • 7. One Piece. It's about a young pirate named Luffy who wants to find a giant treasure and be king of the pirates.
  • 8. Yu-gi-oh. It's about a boy named Yugi who's friends and himself are obsessed with a card game called Duel monsters, and Yugi finds that the soul of a pharoh shares a body with him.
  • 9. Trigun. It's about a wanted man who has two ladies from an insurance company following him.
  • 10. Yuyu hakusho. It's about a teenager named Yusuke who after he dies, makes a deal with the ruler of the underworld to be alive again, only to find that he then has to be a detective from the underworld.
   Yeah....this is the only anime on here even worth watching >_>. Well....I guess Trigun isn't that bad.
[/list]

So, if you have a favorite manga/anime, post it here.

My favorite is easily Akira.  I also like Princess Mononoke, Ruouni Kenshin, Yu Yu Hakusho, Blue Gender, Ghost in the Shell (movie, of course), Ninja Scroll, and....well that's all I can think of now.

Offline magnum12

• Awesome Overlord of TMMC
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2007, 11:36:11 pm »
As much as I love the games, I have to say that the Disgaea anime really sucks. The primary reason is because the plot of the game gets severely butchered. The 1st episode alone buthered chapters 1, 2, 4, and 9. A twelve episode anime should not have such a large proportionate weight of filler (3 episodes, 25%). Chapter 6, 7, 10, and 11 didn't even get any screen time. I was real disappointed because the trailer for the anime (came with Disgaea 2) looked real promising. If the anime was a word for word transcription of the game's script, it would have turned out real good since the game's story had all sorts of good material for anime episodes. Too bad such a great localization was wasted on such a disappointing anime. The 1st Disgaea manga sucks for many of the same reasons (severely butchered story) but the Disgaea 2 manga is excellent if you don't mind crude humor. Speaking of really horrible manga, stay clear of the Mega Man Zero manga. I've read translations of it and it's *censored* horrible. The plot and characters are even more butchered than the Disgaea manga. Most offensive is Zero himself, who in the manga is basically a cry baby coward, getting him the nick name "Negative 3" from offended fans.
Ever know what its like to get pwned by a book? Sonic certainly does.

Print

Hits: 1,180 | Hits This Month: 2 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.33 MB | Time: 0.13s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.