don't click here

You heard it here first

Print

Author Topic: You heard it here first  (Read 48023 times)

Offline Rolken

You heard it here first
« on: October 10, 2007, 02:13:02 am »
According to IGN's translation of a Japanese game magazine's blog report of the Nintendo fall press conference, Sonic's in Smash and can transform into super form. And also it's delayed to January, at least in Japan. Assuming something wasn't lost in translation along the way, anyway, but it seems reasonable enough.

edit: As noted by PPA, the official site now has confirmation and a video of Sonic pwning.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 02:21:37 pm by Rolken »
StH JJ1 WkS+ Sal++^i Rbk++i Knu- McS+++ P++ D[af]opw $++++ E03 A24 GM CoUT
What fun is it being cool if you can't wear a sombrero?

Offline P.P.A.

Re: You heard it here first
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 04:21:35 am »
http://www.smashbros.com/en_uk/characters/sonic.html

Also I assume Super Sonic transformation is his Final Smash.
THESE IMAGES CONFISCATED FOR EVIDENCE

My YouTube profile. Lots of Sonic speedruns~

Offline Zeupar

• The Watcher
  • Architect of the Matrix
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • Sonical!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel (speedruns and travel videos)
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 05:54:28 am »
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH

Finally I will fulfill my dream of kicking Mario's ass with Sonic. (:
Fail collection: 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5.
:o - :O - X) - :D
https://youtu.be/qpT5Md4TPJg?t=221

Offline Magnezone

• Broseidon
  • TSC: SkyLights
  • win7 firefox
  • YOU CAN PROBABLY READ MY POSTS BETTER NOW
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 05:56:40 am »
tikal in brawl 2007

Offline Zeupar

• The Watcher
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • Sonical!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 06:10:25 am »
They chose Sonic The Hedgehog model, thank goodness! :D

Offline P.P.A.

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 07:18:26 am »
[13:13] *** The_T has joined #soniccenter.
[13:13] *** Mode change "+v The_T" for channel #soniccenter by CodeGirl.
[13:13] The_T: OH MY FUCKING /GAWD/.
[13:14] PPA: Hello T.
[13:14] PPA: Yes Sonic in Brawl old.
[13:14] The_T: SONIC?!?!?!?!
[13:14] The_T: b...BUT...
[13:14] The_T: ...

HE'S SO PREDICTABLE <3
THESE IMAGES CONFISCATED FOR EVIDENCE

My YouTube profile. Lots of Sonic speedruns~

Offline eggFL

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2007, 09:16:49 am »
The more I watch it, the more I like it. They did a good job with him. No, a great job. Wished he ran like that in Heroes. He should look like that in the next serious Sonic game if it's going to be on the Wii. Still I don't like that all he does is spin dash.. would have liked to see some homing attack love. Slide kicking should have replaced a straight spindash.

Offline Zeupar

• The Watcher
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • Sonical!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2007, 09:49:07 am »
Spin Dash ftw!

Offline Magnezone

• Broseidon
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2007, 09:53:12 am »
Indeed Zeupar. It's a classic move and I'm glad to see it with Sonic.

Offline eggFL

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2007, 12:21:51 pm »
I think it clashes with all the newschoolness of SSBB Sonic. Besides it's cheap that he does the same thing over and over. I'm sure it's hard to make unique fighting moves for Sonic, but I didn't see any homing attack love whatsoever. I like his dive kick though. They balanced him perfectly so he doesn't look too tall.

More observations: His mouth seems to stay in the center of his face. "realistic" physically viable mouth like in Sonic Adventure 2. And not like Sonic06/Shadow "claymation" style where their mouths slide from one side of their face to the other to face the camera. A good move even though it goes against Sonic06!

Also I really like his running animation but it's not the best. When I first saw it I thought it looked silly. He looked like he was exerting too much energy, his feet looked big and heavy, and he was dragging himself. The silly toy helicopter sound effect didn't help. But it's not that bad at all. It's really cute and he looks really cool. This is definitely better than how he runs in Sonic Heroes. But maybe not better than Sonic06 where he looked more balanced running and more at ease. But it's Smash Bros so they had to make it look flashy. Unlike Sonic games, he will hardly ever be running.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 12:27:55 pm by eggFL »

Offline magnum12

• Awesome Overlord of TMMC
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2007, 01:21:27 pm »
So far, we've possibly seen four of his specials. The spin dash, some variant of his bounce ball attack (down+B, Donkey Kong as target), a spring jump as his recovery move?? (up+B), and of course super form.
Ever know what its like to get pwned by a book? Sonic certainly does.

Offline Groudon

• 1 hour, 39 minutes, 52 seconds
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Groudon199
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2007, 01:30:32 pm »
His super form is most likely going to be his final smash, so that leaves one more special.

Offline Combo

• THE CHAMP
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Here and there.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2007, 05:04:53 pm »
Wow sonic in Brawl.....Expected.
Anyways sonic has alot of moves he can have
there is a game, well actually two games that
sonic plays in that he fights in, Sonic Fighters
and Sonic Battle. That move that he did on Donkey Kong
looked just like that move he uses in Sonic Fighters.
PM me for Discord info!
https://www.twitch.tv/combo_blaze
Playing:
Super Smash Brothers 64 - Look out for Combo Blaze on Kaillera!
Civilization V, Oldschool Runescape, Ragnarok Online (iRO), Touhou games.

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2007, 07:06:11 pm »
Nintendo Power heavily hinted he might be in it months ago.  It would have been very surprising if he wasn't in it after that.  Still good news, nonetheless

I predict at least one other Sonic character appearing, which would likely be Tails (for classic duo), Shadow (for rival), or Amy (for sonic fangirl, and currently Ice Climbers is only other hammer user), using my amazing powers of reason.
Never forget who you are.
DeviantART account: (link)

Offline Magnezone

• Broseidon
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2007, 07:35:22 pm »
I think it clashes with all the newschoolness of SSBB Sonic. Besides it's cheap that he does the same thing over and over. I'm sure it's hard to make unique fighting moves for Sonic, but I didn't see any homing attack love whatsoever. I like his dive kick though. They balanced him perfectly so he doesn't look too tall.

More observations: His mouth seems to stay in the center of his face. "realistic" physically viable mouth like in Sonic Adventure 2. And not like Sonic06/Shadow "claymation" style where their mouths slide from one side of their face to the other to face the camera. A good move even though it goes against Sonic06!

Also I really like his running animation but it's not the best. When I first saw it I thought it looked silly. He looked like he was exerting too much energy, his feet looked big and heavy, and he was dragging himself. The silly toy helicopter sound effect didn't help. But it's not that bad at all. It's really cute and he looks really cool. This is definitely better than how he runs in Sonic Heroes. But maybe not better than Sonic06 where he looked more balanced running and more at ease. But it's Smash Bros so they had to make it look flashy. Unlike Sonic games, he will hardly ever be running.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Offline bertin

• TSC's weeaboo
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 chrome
  • おっとの早苗
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2007, 08:18:29 pm »
Someone smack me in the face hard! Is this True?!?! IT's Gotta Be A Dream! Sonic Actually Made It In Brawl...AND ITS WIFI?!?

Offline Groudon

• 1 hour, 39 minutes, 52 seconds
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Groudon199
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2007, 09:59:13 pm »
Have you not been checking the site at all recently?

Offline bertin

• TSC's weeaboo
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 chrome
  • おっとの早苗
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2007, 11:08:07 pm »
yes i checked the other day but it said nothing about sonic.

Offline Taco

• If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC: NintenDan
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/nintendan
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2007, 11:31:14 pm »
So far, we've possibly seen four of his specials. The spin dash, some variant of his bounce ball attack (down+B, Donkey Kong as target), a spring jump as his recovery move?? (up+B), and of course super form.

I took his second special move (down + B) to be his down grab. But what do I know? I am just a Taco :(

Also, I was really hoping the elemental shields could of been used for his B moves

left + B or right + B = fire shield
down + B = water shield
up + B = electric shield

but oh well, maybe they will implement them somehow else in the game? as items perhaps?

Offline Crowbar

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2007, 06:10:29 am »
but oh well, maybe they will implement them somehow else in the game? as items perhaps?

I'd love that.

Also, spindash-jumps confirmed for Brawl. Fucking awesome

Looks like he has ridiculous recovery too.

With mid-air spindashes on top of that, for added recovery and mid-air mobility, looks like Sonic will actually be top-tier.

Offline Magnezone

• Broseidon
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2007, 06:26:54 am »
Man. Maybe Sonic Team will play this and see that people enjoy playing as Sonic like this more than in their own Sonic games, and then make a decent So- ...no, wait. That's getting my hopes up. :(

Offline yse

• Thrower of Gauntlets
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC: mike89
  • win10 chrome
  • Constitutions written: 1 and counting
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2007, 10:45:58 am »
Interesting, Crowbar.

I have made the assertion that Sonic will probably be low tier based purely on the fact that everyone will play as him to start with (and, for the moment, I'm going to stand by it). It wouldn't exactly be beneficial for the metagame for everyone to learn Sonic and for him to be in the top tier, would it?

At any rate, I have changed my mind again and I will be getting a Wii, because I simply cannot say no to a game starring Sonic that is absolutely guaranteed to be made of win and awesome.

<3 Thorn.

Offline eggFL

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2007, 12:55:12 pm »
Where does the spring come from?

Also it seems like a lot of the stages shown suit Sonic well even though they are from other games. I just thought that was neat. (floating ruins, beachside, etc)

Quote from: yse
At any rate, I have changed my mind again and I will be getting a Wii, because I simply cannot say no to a game starring Sonic that is absolutely guaranteed to be made of win and awesome.

Will it have Pokemon in it?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 01:15:29 pm by eggFL »

Offline CosmicFalcon

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2007, 01:17:05 pm »
I find this news sexual.
"A graph of cf's coolness as age increases would be exponential." - Stefan [14:26, 2008/08/23]
"I now realise that CF is complete and utter win." - Cruizer [13:46, 2009/10/23]

Offline EngiNerd

• Most Sarcastic Member of the Year
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
  • Hydrowhut
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2007, 04:40:39 pm »
O.O
XD
This just became one of the best games ever.  I mean, it already was pretty much, but this cemented it.  I've only ever played Melee at a friend's house, but it was always a good time (even getting my rear whipped as DK vs. Fox).  I'm curious as to what stages would be used....  Green Hill seems obvious, but some others would be cool.  Sky Sanctuary?  Chemical Plant?  Death Egg?  Speed Highway?  Green Forest?  Kingdom Valley?  There's a lot of good choices there.  And, if I understand this correctly, is this the first fully-playable Super Sonic since, what, Sonic and Knuckles?!?!
Im in ur TSCz, climin ur chartz!
My presssioussss....

Offline Taco

• If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC: NintenDan
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/nintendan
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2007, 04:52:55 pm »
Where does the spring come from?

Sonic's recovery jump reminds me of game and watches in that it not only has ludicrous height recovery, but he pulls a spring out of seemingly nowhere, just like G&W pulls out a fire crew team with a trampoline to bounce him back onto the stage out of nowhere

oh, and I guess bouncing on a spring and bouncing on a trampoline are both bouncy (not that kind of bouncy CF :( )so they are connected in that sense too I guess

also, has no one else seriously considered / speculated about this yet? The 1 player adventure mode in melee had the player travel through a variety of levels and worlds from the different characters of the smash cast, and from the look of things, brawl is going to follow this trend.

If sonic's in the game now, then there should surely be a section / level for him, right? A remake of Green hill zone?

THAT would be amazing

Offline General Throatstomper

• I can't think of anything witty :(
  • TSC: blueblaze
  • win8 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2007, 06:08:42 pm »
So hey, how about that Brawl discussion thread we have?

Anyways, secret characters really didn't get any representation in Melee, not that we know whether or not you can start with Sonic. There was, for example, no GW adventure stage.

February 10 is the new release date, December 3 was probably just announced to get people interested. You don't gain 2 months in the space of 1, Nintendo never had any plans to release on that day.

In terms of metagame discussion, I don't think a character's popularity limits its success. Nearly everybody plays Fox or Sheik, but that doesn't make them any less powerful in Melee. Whether or not Sonic is usable is another question. He looks pretty insane from the vids I've seen, but it could be he just looks comparatively powerful. His neutral special (confirmed in various videos) is a homing attack. Sidespecial into homing attack sounds brutal...but once more, we haven't actually played it. Maybe it turns out it's useless as Jigglypuff's rollout.

And on that note, let's have Sonic battles for the hilarity.

And on the back of that note, this will be Sonic's best game in years.

I HOPE YOU DO

Offline bertin

• TSC's weeaboo
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 chrome
  • おっとの早苗
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2007, 06:19:41 pm »
maybe that will happen...If somewhat.....

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
  • I am a follower of the immortal Dark Falz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2007, 07:18:12 pm »
Purin's Rollout?  Useless?

granted, it's limited, but the only worthless thing about Purin would be it's DTilt or it's UB...

Sonic's specials are detailed on the official site, btw, concerning the spring and various other things...

also, yes, as Taco stated, it's confirmed as his down-throw.  ADA is a drill kick, from what I've seen...  and the shields are as-of-yet unmentioned, though I have dropped production a line (same guy who answered about the throw) asking about his other stuff...

also, guys on the various boards for Smash will be attending and reporting on Sonic and other characters on the 14th when they get a chance to look through it, supposedly including Isai Malvarado, who has stated in intends to look into wavedashing, SHFFL's, SHDL for fox, and various other technical abilities, as well as check out move-lists for the new characters and trying to come up with comparisons to previous characters
Year 33 — The Malkavians claim that their greatest practical joke happened during this year, when they perform a bit of graverobbing  in Jerusalem.
-- Vampire: The Masquerade

Offline Rick_242

• Always getting stuck inside walls.
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2007, 07:59:14 pm »
some variant of his bounce ball attack (down+B, Donkey Kong as target)

Down Grab.
<Sondow> also what
<Sondow> since when was S&K an expansion pack to s3
<Sondow> wiki LIES

Print

Hits: 2,158 | Hits This Month: 6 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.39 MB | Time: 0.11s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.