don't click here

so did ANYONE like the new sonic games?

Print

Author Topic: so did ANYONE like the new sonic games?  (Read 14336 times)

so did ANYONE like the new sonic games?
« on: October 10, 2007, 01:14:44 am »
I'm talkin bout the ones for the 360, ps3, and wii. I never did play the secret rings or w/e but i have the one for 360 and its ok. obviously there are flaws, but it's not too bad.. =\ am i crazy?

I am a god.

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
Re: so did ANYONE like the new sonic games?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 02:42:00 am »
I liked it until I didnt play it for 3 months then tried to play it some more and couldnt control the camera
Did you not think I had a mind?

Offline P.P.A.

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 04:39:40 am »
I didn't play any of them yet, though I will buy SSR and as soon as I get a 360, I'll also buy S06.
THESE IMAGES CONFISCATED FOR EVIDENCE

My YouTube profile. Lots of Sonic speedruns~

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 08:25:34 am »
Secret Rings has moments where it makes me feel like I'm playing a true successor to the originals, and moments that make me want to curl up and die in a corner (soundtrack ftl D:).  S06 is lol, but then I don't like any of the previous 3D Sonic games really.
This topic has now been officially won by me.  Never mind, you might do better next time!
www.douglasgresham.co.uk - it's in the intarwebs, it must be true!

Offline eggFL

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 09:07:50 am »
I'm talkin bout the ones for the 360, ps3, and wii. I never did play the secret rings or w/e but i have the one for 360 and its ok. obviously there are flaws, but it's not too bad.. =\ am i crazy?

I was crushed when I first played Sonic06 but it's still a great game. You're not crazy at all.

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 06:55:20 pm »
Eh, didn't really like SSR due to controls and some irritating music here and there, but Sonic 06 is okay, I'd say.  I may give my SSR another chance, though, especially since I'm broke and can't buy any more new games at the moment <_<
Never forget who you are.
DeviantART account: (link)

Offline magnum12

• Awesome Overlord of TMMC
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2007, 07:30:25 pm »
SSR has its problems (worst enemy is the wiimote and bad music) but its still a step in the right direction. SRA is a great game. Sonic 06 is a glitchy (all glitches once in the final version of a game are bad merely because of their existance), unfinshed POS with loose controls and a horrible camera. The RPG and the Olympics games look promising though.
Ever know what its like to get pwned by a book? Sonic certainly does.

Offline Rick_242

• Always getting stuck inside walls.
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2007, 07:38:49 pm »
worst enemy is the wiimote

lolpartymode

SSR was good but, had bad music. S06 was... but, it had good music. SRA from the looks of it looked pretty good. The RPG sounds... the Olympics looks like it has some potential. Other than that, these games depend on whether or not it fancies your bacon.

Edit#1: You win this round Auriman. >_>
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 09:16:28 pm by Rick_242 »
<Sondow> also what
<Sondow> since when was S&K an expansion pack to s3
<Sondow> wiki LIES

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2007, 07:55:32 pm »
SSR was good but, had bad music. S06 was... but, it had good music. SSR from the looks of it looked pretty good. The RPG sounds... the Olympics looks like it has some potential.
I do believe you meant SRA looks pretty good
Never forget who you are.
DeviantART account: (link)

Offline bertin

• TSC's weeaboo
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 chrome
  • おっとの早苗
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2007, 11:26:18 pm »
06 is alright.... rivals is good.

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2007, 06:47:18 am »
Ooh yeah the RPG :D:D  In fact with Dragon Age/Mass Effect/Sonic RPG, it looks like RPG heaven forthcoming :D:D

I have to disagree that the Wiimote is a flaw in SSR - I think, when you're on a good run, it's awesome.  My gripes are the sound, any time you have to slow down it plays horribly, the hot-damn-that's-godawful story, and the overall "this game needed some proper top-level coordination and another 6 months to get right" feel.
This topic has now been officially won by me.  Never mind, you might do better next time!
www.douglasgresham.co.uk - it's in the intarwebs, it must be true!

Offline DsSaster

• TSC's KevinTurtle
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: DarkspinesSonic
  • win10 chrome
  • HURRY UP DAMMIT!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2007, 11:42:08 am »
I absolutely loved Sonic 06, favorite Sonic game to date...yes, I'm serious-_-

I've yet to play Sonic and the Secret Rings though. :/
I am the champion of TSC! >:D 

Championships held:  Sonic 3D Blast, Sonic Adventure (DX), Sonic Heroes, Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Chaos, Sonic Drift, Sonic Drift 2, Sonic Riders, Sonic the Fighters, Sonic Battle, Sonic Unleashed (ps2/Wii), Sonic Unleashed (ps3/360), Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing, Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, Sonic Colors (Wii), Sonic Rivals, Sonic Generations.

Zero Point Championships held:  Sonic Drift, Sonic Drift 2, Sonic Chaos, Sonic Battle, Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed.

I like my speed runs like my steaks...UNFINISHED!!!

Offline Pokemonmaster888

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2007, 05:13:12 pm »
I thought Sonic and the Secret Rings was pretty good. It does take a while to get into the game to start having fun, though. I haven't played Sonic The Hedgehog at all, besides a demo that wasn't good at all, in my opinion. Sonic Rush Adventure was awesome, and it is one of my most favorite Nintendo DS games. Mario and Sonic at The Olympic Games looks pretty cool too.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 05:19:41 pm by Pokemonmaster888 »

Offline yse

• Thrower of Gauntlets
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC: mike89
  • win10 chrome
  • Constitutions written: 1 and counting
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2007, 09:57:35 pm »
Speaking of the RPG, news has filtered through that EA just bought Bioware.

Commence speculation.

<3 Thorn.

Offline eggFL

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2007, 10:37:52 pm »
Commence speculation.

The game will turn out horribly for sure amirite?

Offline General Throatstomper

• I can't think of anything witty :(
  • TSC: blueblaze
  • win8 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2007, 11:19:05 pm »
SSR was enjoyable, though it does get stale after a little bit and the level design was low quality. The wiimote was more of an asset than an annoyance; it was overly tactile, and at times insensitive, but for the most part it was a fluid game. Granted, one that probably could have worked better on a traditional controller, cutting out some of the imprecision. And bending your joystick to hell.

I'll admit Shadow did have some things going for it too. Such as the cgi effects you see in the intro, if you ignore how obnoxiously shiny the character models are, and for good effect don't hear the music either. The gameplay was great as well, especially the parts where you're not riding in vehicles or dragons, using guns with a clunky and generally inaccurate aiming system, homing attack long stretches of enemies while the devs are trying to think of things to add to the level, hunting down 1 of 50 obscure items or boring enemies, falling to your death because of the dizzy camera, or getting reamed by floor and wall glitches. Shadow had its moments, but these in no way compensate for an overall mediocre experience.

M&S looks retarded to me, I don't see what the fuss is about. It's another minigame collection, one themed around the olympics no less, as though they couldn't think of a more boring activity to build a game around. It's worse than a minigame collection; it's a crossover minigame collection. With ruddy graphics and an arbitrary stat system that doesn't affect gameplay. You'd expect this sort of nonsense in a fanfic, you have to wonder who proposed this and why Sega and Nintendo are complacent.

Of all the next gen games Sonic is in, or going to be in, Brawl looks the most promising. Great gameplay and music from the looks of things, and it isn't being developed by Sega, who seems to reinvent the franchise every game or two to target a new demographic of interest.

Anyways, let's do something different, and campaign for our favorite characters to be unplayable. Sonic for bottom tier!

I HOPE YOU DO

Offline magnum12

• Awesome Overlord of TMMC
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2007, 12:24:02 am »
I speculate that the RPG will not be affected since its too early in the deal for EA to screw something up. It usually takes a few years for EA, aka the borg of the gaming industry to screw up companies they buy.
-Edit: Found something relevant.

http://www.firingsquad.com/features/ea_buys_bioware/

Here are some quotes that I think are worthy of homing into on page 2:

Despite the heavy proportion of ex-EA employees in the company, the reaction was generally muted and contemplative. What might have been an otherwise depressing and angry day at BioWare was salvaged by the man at the heart of this story: John Riccitiello. Following the resignation of Larry Probst, John acted quickly and began implementing his vision, including the removal of a central design team that created jobs for itself by, for example, mandating a single interface for all of its team sports games that, while attractive, was a horrible interface.

John Riccitiello is also the man, who in his first interview since taking over of EA, said that ’sequels are boring’. Does that sound like a statement coming from the mouth of a traditional EA executive? I don’t think so, and apparently enough employees at BioWare agree enough to reserve any outcries of doom, at least for a while.

The sober, thought-out feeling is that Riccitiello hitched his wagon to BioWare-Pandemic. They won’t be subject to the regular EA hierarchy, they won’t be given design ideas by EA, and they won’t be indulging in sequelitis (though as an aside, the Mass Effect 2 staff would love the opportunity for a sequel). In fact, the chain of communication will be John Riccitiello -> Frank Gibeau (President of EA Games) -> Greg Zeschuk & Ray Muzyka (BioWare co-founders). That’s it.

Our bet is that Riccitiello has done as much as he can at EA proper without bringing about a revolt against himself. The company is quite entrenched in its ways after a decade and a half of leadership from Larry Probst, and that is when it developed the reputation for buying a developer and milking its properties drier than a Sahara rock. Any further changes risk upsetting the shareholders and management who don’t see a creatively empty shell, but rather a highly profitable company that has found the formula for growing money off video game trees.

The BioWare-Pandemic buyout may be a bid to start EA on a new course, one already plotted by Activision: acquire a good developer, finance them, and permit them room to do their own thing, offer leadership and a kick in the ass only if necessary. Presumably the new EA CEO sees the disastrous long-term consequences of creative bankruptcy, and is seeking to remedy them by allowing BioWare and Pandemic the freedom and finances to do something spectacular on a regular basis. Specifically, during the conference John had stated that EA was impressed with BioWare’s Metacritic score, a rating in which EA has slipped in over the past few years, and a statistic which caused on analyst to say the EA brand has been tarnished.

The downside, however, is that John has arguably bet his own personal political bank at EA on BioWare and Pandemic. Should they not deliver to expectations, their failure could be an excuse for traditional EA elements to remove Riccitiello and return to EA’s profitable-but-boring sequelitis ways. This, of course, will mean the doom of BioWare in the way that Westwood, Origin, Bullfrog, and Maxis were wiped out. With any change comes friction, and there is little doubt that by cutting into the bloat in EA and by bypassing the traditional EA power structure with BioWare-Pandemic, John Riccitiello has created enemies in the company. Like, say, people who think that a slow, unwieldly, but attractive interface in the name of the Almighty Brand is a good idea.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 12:57:13 pm by magnum12 »
Ever know what its like to get pwned by a book? Sonic certainly does.

Offline KnucklesSonic8

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2007, 02:31:12 pm »
Well, I JUST started playing S06 and boy is it anything I never expected - that being said, my expectations weren't high for that game.

It's really good, surprisingly. Competition is stellar, too, I might add.

As for SatSR: well, I haven't played it again since I rented it in March and I never DID buy it but it was really good - the story destroyed everything though. One day, I'll get back into the mix, though. IMO, though, SatSR WOULD HAVE been more than amazing if it were not for the Story and some tedious, repetitive missions. Also, many mini-games were dreadful, and that's saying a lot since everyone knows how fond I am of the genre.

All in all:
S06: Despite glitches and such, 9.0. :o
SatSR: 8.5/9.0
Wiiloveit

Current Competition Focus: ---
Wants S&S All-Stars Racing

Offline eggFL

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2007, 04:12:07 pm »
Sonic06 is either the worst Sonic game or the best Sonic game depending. I give it 10/10 because it is the forefront of awesome in this universe.

Print

Hits: 809 | Hits This Month: 7 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.21 MB | Time: 0.09s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.