don't click here

The TSC Gym Challenge Fad thing! (Planning)

Print

Author Topic: The TSC Gym Challenge Fad thing! (Planning)  (Read 19880 times)

Offline Taillow

• Changing forum names is lame...
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Quartz
  • win81 chrome
  • ...but it didn't stop me from doing it again.
    • View Profile
The TSC Gym Challenge Fad thing! (Planning)
« on: May 28, 2007, 01:37:56 am »
Well, the reason this was brought up was because RPG was doing one, and I said maybe we should have one here.  People seemed to agree, so here's a post.

Well, I'm sure some of you have come across these fad ideas before, but if you haven't, here's the gist of it:

Eight people can be gym leaders, four E4 members, and one champion.  Any of them (except the champion) have to stick to a specific element type (and no type sharing), though they could have up to one pokemon not of that type (However, said pokemon must have a move of their trademark type).  The only other details I can think of is rounding to level 50 for these battles.

Oh, and that I call dark gym (when I get wifi), and RPG called dragon.

Of course, this is if people like the idea.  And feel free to give suggestions.
Hi

Offline General Throatstomper

• I can't think of anything witty :(
  • TSC: blueblaze
  • win8 chrome
    • View Profile
Re: The TSC Gym Challenge Fad thing! (Planning)
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 09:11:59 pm »
I am so the champion because I am the best pokemon player here.

If I don't wind up being the champion though, I call the Normal-type gym.

Anyways, how everyone does in RPG's upcoming (and perpetually delayed) tournament should determine their placement in the chart. The #1 player should be seeded as champion, the #2 player as Elite 4 member 4, etc. That way each ranking is indicative of a player's skill.

The hierarchy should bump each player down who loses a match. If gym leader 1 loses against a challenger, they cease to be a gym leader. If gym leader 2 loses, and the challenger loses to gym leader 3, gym leader 2 because gym leader 1, and the challenger gym leader 2. This would be of course after the current set of challenges have finished.

To prevent confusion and some players with filler pokemon due to a lack of expertise in a given gym's type, each participant should choose a type. Once they have reached the status of gym leader, they will use that type. If they get usurped by a challenger, that challenger uses their type. It's a working system.

I also suggest that a gym leader is able, at any time, to increase their rank by playing the other gym leaders, with an arbitrary time between each challenge, such as 2 weeks, to prevent challenge spamming. They would only be required to face leaders above their rank, and could not be demoted as a result.

The alternative to this is having the position of trainers be determined by their win percentage, the downside being the lower trainers would almost never move up. This is a terrible idea.

Thoughts?

I HOPE YOU DO

Offline Taillow

• Broseidon
  • win81 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 12:09:54 am »
Line 1: No

Line 2: Eh, sure.

Line 3: At first I disagreed, but then I realized some people do a certain type of training...  As long as I get a spot though.  I've got enough logic to at least get some placement if the tournament if I was in it.  But we'll see.

Line 4: I dunno...  Even elite four members have a type.  Could always have it so whoever beats the E4 first will be champion, and whoever defeats that champion becomes champion...  Or maybe we can ditch that and make it an Emerald-like thing where you get badges with your name on them.  And maybe backups if someone can't do anything (or if a gym leader wants badges).  But how many people would do this, anyhow?

Line 5: But then what if someone's using the same type as another?  It'd probably be easier to have all the gym types or something at this rate, but there's not enough good people for that.

Line 6: Really, Gyms in games were determined by location or "return here later" status.  Plus, should we even have a set order for gyms?

Line 7: Ignored.

Those are my thoughts
Hi

Offline Taco

• If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC: NintenDan
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/nintendan
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 03:50:03 am »
I really really need to get the new pokemon game :(

Offline CosmicFalcon

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 04:37:35 am »
Here is how I would do it.

Create a 'map' of a 'TSC region'. That way, you can have 8 locations for the gyms. And we could have a Violet Plateau or something.

I think the 8 Gym Leaders should be of equal skill. This works out well, because I envisage that in the tournament only the top 4 (at most) players will be ranked (final and third-place play-off). The next 4 are all equal, followed by the next 8 being fairly equal, as far as the tournament shows.

In that respect, I think the 8 Gyms should work like the Emerald Challenges. The badges should be specific to gyms, not to leaders or types. That way, if someone wishes to resign as gym leader of a certain gym, someone else can take their place, previous badges don't become null. The new leader can bring about a change of type for training in that gym.

No two gyms/E4 trainers should have the same type. I can't think of any time this happens in any of the games, but correct me if I'm wrong.

I think the rules on what counts as a given 'type' shouldn't be too strict. For example, take Lance in RGB. His type was Dragon, when of course the only Dragon evolution chain was Dratini's. He therefore also fought with an Aerodactyl and a Charizard, which are arguably Dragon-esque.

As such, perhaps Gym Leaders should stick fairly well to a type, but Elite 4 members can have some kind of methodology? Koga for instance implies he is a trainer who deals with status conditions, although it is quite clear that when he's in the Elite 4 he is a bug trainer...

Those are all my thoughts. I'd be more than up for being a gym leader, except I have no D/P. :D
"A graph of cf's coolness as age increases would be exponential." - Stefan [14:26, 2008/08/23]
"I now realise that CF is complete and utter win." - Cruizer [13:46, 2009/10/23]

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 07:01:13 am »
When you beat Gym Leaders in game they dont lose their status now do they?

How about this.

When you challenge a leader normally, you get the badge.
HOWEVER.
If they agree to it, you can fight them using a team the same type as theirs for their Leader status, and if you win you become Leader and are free to edit the Gyms typing~
Did you not think I had a mind?

Offline yse

• Thrower of Gauntlets
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC: mike89
  • win10 chrome
  • Constitutions written: 1 and counting
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 07:08:51 am »
If this ever gets off the ground it will go the exact same way as every challenge set ever.

Everyone will get bored of it in two weeks and RPG will be the only one with all the badges.

<3 Thorn.

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 01:10:20 pm »
Kiss my arse, you sweaty furfag

Offline Taillow

• Broseidon
  • win81 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2007, 10:23:11 pm »
Pft.  This isn't ROM based, and DP seems to be a decent focus.

Sorry about the late response, but it didn't TELL me this was posted in.

Now then...

CF
Important Line 1: Do we really NEED locations?  Eh, but if more people insist, maybe I can think of something.

Line 2: Bah.  But what about the good people who weren't able to get into the tournament?  I still want my dark gym for one, and what if Rolken wants to join in?  Now I agree top people from the tournament (if they choose) should be E4 members or leaders or whatever, but don't discount others.

Line 3: I find it hard to imagine a fire-ish badge for a water type gym if a fire type resigns and gets replaced by water.  Also, since when did gym types change?  I believe in GSC, all the Kanto gyms were the same type as in RBY.  Changing the types would just be too annoying.
However, I agree with them working like the challenges.

Line 4: Agreed since before I thought of this.

Line 5: That's an archaic example for a type that now has more than enough to work with.  And I stated there can be one odd one out, as long as they have at least one move of the designated type.

Line 6: Well, people can choose if they want a methodology.  I'm not gonna require it.

--------

RPG
Bah.  I'd rather not have type changes, as I said...

--------

Types, types, types... that's always the dilemma!  Well, if this is gonna keep up, maybe we should just throw them all in there.  Or if people want to keep the eight gym limit, why not have LOST gyms after the Elite 4?  Didn't that hack (Quartz version) have gyms after that?

Also, what if people can't make it?  We need to think of some sort of backup scenario, like a backup gym leader or something.
Hi

Offline CosmicFalcon

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2007, 06:26:07 am »
It's not that we NEED locations... I just think it's a nicer idea then having gyms belong to types as it were. But then again, you raise a good point... the badges themselves tend to represent their element.

The only reason I suggest the possibility of a gym's type changing, is that there's a real possibility that someone who is a gym leader might want to quit, get bored of the whole shebang. In such a case, the next best non-leader player who wants to be a gym leader might not want to have a team of that type.

Then again, we could always just 'close down' the gym where the leader quit, and allow the 'opening' of a new one. Have gyms belong to their leaders, rather than leaders belonging to their gyms.

And again, good point on there now being enough from any given type.

Anyway, enough of responding, some new ideas for the pot:

Play gym battles by the anime rules - Leader decides on the number of Pokemon in a team. That way, if a certain leader wants to be like a game gym leader and only have say 2 to 4 Pokemon, they won't be at an epic disadvantage that the ingame gym leaders are (given that it would be very possible to have a team of 6 that all have a type advantage over any and all of the leader's pokemon).

Non-official gyms - If there are decent players deserving and wanting to be leaders but no gyms left to lead? A la Saffron Dojo etc. Might get too out of hand though, would need some selection process.

There's a problem with the possibility of a replaceable champion... Would you just switch out the old champion? Does that mean Gym leaders and E4 members can't battle to be champion? Or can they go on a quest getting the other 7 badges and beating the E4 / getting all badges and battling 3 of the E4, and then contend the championship? If so, would the ex-Champ have to take their gym/E4 place? Plausible. Better I think to disallow leaders/elites from contending the championship.

To summise that last confused paragraph, I think that the E4 and Gym leaders should be selected - by whatever process, voting, whatever. Then the first to collect all badges and beat the E4 becomes the first champion. Anyone who manages this chance after that may challenge the Champion, and if they win, they become champ. The ex-champ retains his or her badges, but must battle through the E4 again before fighting to regain their title. That's how I envisage it could work, anyway.

As for Leaders and Elites earning badges of their own, I don't see why not. In the anime the Leaders occasionally seem to be wearing their own badge, I think. And there's some mention of Brock being unable to travel and collect other badges...

And perhaps we could come up with some badge-like-thing to represent successfully beating an elite? If we're to make it quite like the challenges.

Just my two... four... six-ish cents.
"A graph of cf's coolness as age increases would be exponential." - Stefan [14:26, 2008/08/23]
"I now realise that CF is complete and utter win." - Cruizer [13:46, 2009/10/23]

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2007, 06:30:00 am »
I like CF's idea.

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2007, 06:52:51 am »
I always pictured the champion choosing the E4.  Dunno why, but it could work.  Also if we said E4 members had to have all badges, and gym leaders could compete too on the assumption that they earned their own badge for being leader, I don't see the problem - it just gives those that have achieved higher-up positions a better shot at the championship, which seems reasonable.

Also I call Fire gym if/when I get D/P.
This topic has now been officially won by me.  Never mind, you might do better next time!
www.douglasgresham.co.uk - it's in the intarwebs, it must be true!

Offline Taillow

• Broseidon
  • win81 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2007, 07:34:56 pm »
Okay, I'm not stating line numbers.  Chaos Angel skin makes it horrible to see previous responses in a forum.

CF

Well, I suggested LOST GYMS just earlier, right?  How about if someone wants to quit, one of those LOST GYMS can take over as a replacement if no one wants to replace the type (if there's a type overflow, of course)?

As for rules... sounds like an idea to me.  Just nothing too catastrophic or unfair.

Again, LOST GYMS (I love putting this in caps).  Any unused types can be one if someone wants to do so.

As for the champion, anyone can try for that.  However, those who are gym leaders or Elite 4 members either need a stand-in for their type or will have to use a LOST GYM to compensate for facing their position, though outside of their gym, they're free to use whatever they want, as long as it's not a legendary or a wobbuffet or wynaut or other super-overpowered stuff.

As for selection... well... I'm sure that'll be easier done than said.  I'm not a fool when it comes to these games, and I may be able to pull RPG in for help in decisions (among others who know their stuff, of course)

Ignored, because I just answered this earlier.

And a badge or something for E4 members is cool too.  Also, I'll handle badgemaking, so if anyone has a design, they can just show me in any way possible and I'll duplicate it into badge form.

--------

Douglas

I forgot to state this, but Sondow said something about calling Fire, and Psyknux psychic.  However, this brings me back to the backup idea.  Or maybe multiple gym leaders for a gym that can choose who'll face the challenger.  Or something.

--------

Also, another idea.  Other than LOST GYMS, maybe there could be more than 8 gyms, but only 8 badges needed to face the Elite 4?
Hi

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2007, 07:37:53 pm »
Hi! I can help!

Offline Selphos

• The Eternally Young Scarlet Moon
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Sondow
  • win10 firefox
  • TSC's local Touhou nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2007, 07:02:32 pm »
Yeah, Quartz, I called fire in chat.

Anyway it looks good so far ;)
I've never had much imagination so I'm not sure about any other rules, but how about looking at http://com5.runboard.com/bpokemon3.f4.t7 for some ideas? That place is popular among some of us TSCers (read: me, RPG, genus, and some others) so I thought it could help for some guidelines.
The moon is so red. Looks like it's going to be a fun night.

Offline Taillow

• Broseidon
  • win81 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2007, 08:13:03 pm »
Sondow, where do you think I got the idea?  Not from the many I saw ages back.
Hi

Offline Taillow

• Broseidon
  • win81 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2007, 04:59:04 am »
What, no responses?  How wrong.  And when I finally got to connect to wifi, too.  Also, did I mention Genus wanted a normal type gym?
Hi

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2007, 04:57:05 pm »
Om contemplating 3 things

Dragon Gym
Steel Gym
Rain Dance Gym

If Im stuck with Dragon then thats ok but iono, the other two appeal to me as well heh

Offline Ben

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2007, 05:04:12 pm »
Sounds like a cool idea. I'll take the poison gym if no one else has already.

• win8 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2007, 10:17:39 pm »
I'd like a normal gym if and only if I'm not the champion.

Because I have some serious lineup planned out for a normal gym, and have all the pokemon except for one, which is thankfully a quick breed.

Oh, and a second pokemon which requires the use of FireRed/Leafgreen and Pokemon Emerald. I want a Bold or Impish Chancey with Seismic Toss, learnable only via emerald's move tutor and, of course, unavailable without trading. If anyone shuttles one across for me, I will give them a blank check for any pokemon or item I own (and I own very many, including a high level Jolly Sniper Drapion, a Master Ball, several Thunderbolts/Ice Beams/Flamethrowers, a slew of PP ups, Mew, and Jirachi if you're into legendaries).

I HOPE YOU DO

Offline Ring Rush

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2007, 02:39:36 pm »
I don't think this is really necroposting, as it is only 9 days old...

Is this still going on? If so, I'll take a steel gym, as I already have a lineup planned out.
Current Championships: SSR (5/26/08-Now)
Current Leaderships: SSR Chains [0 Point], SC Rings [0 Point], SSR Scores [0 Point], S3D Rings [0 Point], SSR Times, SSR Bosses
Past Leaderships: SA2 Rings, S1GG Rings, SUWii Rings, SBK Times, SBK Chains, SRA Rings, SRA Scores

• win8 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2007, 05:45:39 pm »
It's still going on...I think. We need to take a step or two forward though.

Have we considered doubling up on gyms to conserve trainers? If so I would gladly do a Normal/Dark gym (unlikely as I think Quartz is working up a dark gym), or Normal/Water (this water team I am cooking up...it is a killer I assure you).

So let's do a bit of indexing to mark off where we are/what we could do.

genus-Normal
RPG-Dragon
Sondow-Fire
Ben-Poison
RPG-Steel
genus-Water
Quartz-Dark

And of course from there we'd pick our 5 best players for the e4/Champion roles.

In terms of gyms, everyone should post their progress.

Normal-3/6 ready
Water-2/6 ready
Dark-5/6 ready

Discuss.

I HOPE YOU DO

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2007, 06:17:27 pm »
Hey get bent I am a far better water trainer than you <_<

Ill fight you for this Watery Gym doodah, Water Team against Water team

Obviously Id have to get another 5 ready, though

Dragon is 6/6 ready. Assuming I use my old team.
Or 1/6 with my new IV guy.

Water would be 1/6 too, but I know exactly what Ill be using there

• win8 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2007, 06:23:13 pm »
Just for that I'm giving all my water pokemon thunderbolt.

Also want to trade me anything in the Lotad line in exchange for something in the (popular pokemon you lack) line?

I HOPE YOU DO

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2007, 06:35:30 pm »
How 'bout no O:

Consider my dex is 493/493 ;)

Offline Taillow

• Broseidon
  • win81 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2007, 08:40:13 pm »
Well, it seems I may have to take a role of authority here.

Best out of three wins!  (/me shot)

But seriously, if both of you are so deadset about it, battle.  As long as I keep my dark gym.  Though RPG, I could have sworn you wanted another gym.  Like bug.

Still, doubling up on gyms sounds link an idea, due to the shortage of people interested.
Hi

Offline CosmicFalcon

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2007, 05:41:46 am »
If I haven't done so already, which for some reason I haven't, I have every interest in being a Gym Leader / Elite if I get D/P.

I would have bagsied Fire (I have historically always picked the fire starter (lol firestarter)), but it is taken and I don't plan to take the fire starter in D/P.

My next choice would have been Dark cuz I'm emo like that.

Out of what's not on that list, I'd quite like Ice.

But this is all hypothetical on 1. me getting the game and 2. my WiFi working, which it doesn't in MKDS, which doesn't bode well.

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2007, 07:08:58 am »
So like I have 5 out of my 6 planned, Im just mulling over which I should use as my 6th now

• win8 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2007, 10:22:41 pm »
By tomorrow I should have a presentable team to battle you with.

You're going down noob.

I HOPE YOU DO

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2007, 08:37:04 am »
Pssch, Ill have my team ready when I can be bothered <_<

Print

Hits: 644 | Hits This Month: 2 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.24 MB | Time: 0.11s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.