don't click here

SRB2 Times

Print

Author Topic: SRB2 Times  (Read 5350 times)

Offline SprintGod

SRB2 Times
« on: May 15, 2007, 10:59:42 am »
Just thought I'd point out the following:

• SRB2 has a built in Time Attack mode.
    • Saves only the best time per level.
    • Saved times include subseconds (35 units per second)
    • Saves one replay per character per level. Replays can be viewed manually through the console (playdemo <filename>), so they can be easily backed up and shared without any messing about.
  • Options > Game Options > High Resolution Timer = ON
    This changes the in-game timer into a frame counter, allowing you to obtain subseconds for times slower than your record. Divide the displayed number by 35 to convert it into seconds.
    Alternatively, create the file "autoexec.cfg" in your SRB2 folder, open it in notepad, and add any of the following lines:
    • timetic 1 (Automatically turns it on at startup)
    • bind <key> "toggle timetic" (Assigns a key to toggle it)

Basically, the time charts need updating with subseconds; either taking them as displayed by the game (1/35ths of a second), or as centiseconds (divide the frame counter by 35, or multiply the saved subseconds by 20/7), with existing times being set to X:XX.34 or X:XX.97 depending on how they're added.
If you don't want people to treat you like you're stupid, then your best defence is to not be stupid.

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Former admin, lucid dreamer, lover of burgers
    • View Profile
Re: SRB2 Times
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 11:56:33 am »
I'm well aware that there's a Time Attack mode. I tried convincing RPG to set it as standard several months ago, but I was unsuccessful.  You'll have to take it up with him.

And btw, it's done in tics.  I doubt that tics would add correctly in the Totals, they'd probably add out of 100 instead of 35.
<RPGnutter> Well I think your reasoning was dumb, so you get sassed
<RPGnutter> Thats how it works

Offline SprintGod

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 07:10:08 pm »
I'm guessing it went something like this:
"Hey this game has a Time Attack mode! Maybe we should use it for time attacking or something!"
"Don't be stupid. Who the hell uses time attack mode for time attacking?"

Or maybe:
"Tics break totals, therefore lets just ignore them and have everything broken instead."

Totals are a non-issue. Or rather they are an issue, but not in relation to whether or not the tics should be added. Lets add up 3 times for fun.
0:13.05, 0:30.14, 0:12.29
Actual Total: 0:56.13
Broken Total: 0:55.48
Truncated Total: 0:55.00 (Try to explain how this is less broken)
Nuking subseconds for the sake of switching one form of brokenness with another seems pretty damn stupid to me. Especially since should the site come to support non-decimal subseconds, everyone has to go through the crapfest that is resubmitting all their times.

Also, in other news, Jim Hines has now held on to the 100m world record for almost 40 years. Well done to him.
If you don't want people to treat you like you're stupid, then your best defence is to not be stupid.

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 07:26:59 pm »
Again, take it up with RPG. I'm done trying to convince him, I gave up months ago. I'm not going to edit the charts under his nose either.

Plus, you're acting like people are actually submitting for it.

Offline Bilan

• TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2007, 03:52:59 pm »
The tics arent the issue behind it at all, the game only stores the fastest time out of all 3 characters, so your fucked if you want to find the other two. Hence the solution.

EDIT: Thought this was a different topic and didnt see Sprints first post. >_>

Admittedly yes, thats a viable solution, but it seems a painfully unnecessary way to find out the tics. I mean we dont force the player to find out the subseconds for a time where it is not displayed in other divisions of the site (Hi Chaotic Space) so why should we here?

I dont see how disregarding them completely breaks the totals at all.
Did you not think I had a mind?

Offline SprintGod

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2007, 11:46:15 pm »
Chaotic Space and other such levels cannot display subseconds in any form whatsoever. SRB2 can. Comparison over.
Totals are broken for the same reason that 1.99 + 1.99 != 2.

Basically your excuse appears to be that you have to cater for people who are too lazy/stupid to spend about 10 seconds looking at something as complicated as a 3-4 digit number, when said people probably don't have the patience to obtain times low enough such that subseconds particularly matter anyway. There's no need to dumb things down for the people who don't fall into this category, when instead those who do could just be submitting X:XX.99 as a penalty for being incompetant.

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2007, 04:49:06 pm »
^Because .99 is totally what we do for Chaotic Space, right? Nope, we give the player the benefit of the doubt. If most SRB2 players don't use the hi-def timer, then whatever.

You have to remember that a good 75% of the members of this site haven't done more than skimmed through the rules, if even that much. Detailing how to find your tic time in the rules would only apply to the 25% that do read. Here's my two sense:

Sprint: You're overcomplicating things. The general rule is "time displayed at fadeout = stat to submit". Since a vast majority of SRB2 players use the standard timer instead of the high-definition, why don't we just go with it? Again, it's not like TUSC has enough players at the moment for this to even really matter.

RPG: Please, make Time Attack mode and Normal difficulty the requirement for everything. Easy adds shortcuts that dodge some of the more difficult spots, and that's not fair when the other general TSC rule it "use Time Attack mode whenever feasible". There's five difficulty levels for SRB2, and more for TMR. Scores could get ridiculous if everyone can just enter the hardest level and hold the spindash button when the enemies approach.

Now, since one of you two is going to try to negate every opinion I've vouched, I'm going to ignore this topic for a while so it stays a topic instead of an argument. When there's more than 10 competitors or so for either SRB2 or TMR, I'll come back and see what you each decided on.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2007, 04:57:55 pm by Thorn »

Print

Hits: 93 | Hits This Month: 2 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.01 MB | Time: 0.10s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.