don't click here

Competition Rules Explanation thread

Print

Author Topic: Competition Rules Explanation thread  (Read 11676 times)

Offline magnum12

• Awesome Overlord of TMMC
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
Competition Rules Explanation thread
« on: April 29, 2007, 06:11:24 pm »
The point of this thread is to provide an explanation for the sites various competition rules.
1. The requirement of normal difficulty unless stated otherwise is there to set a uniform standard for competition. This rule comes from the TSC standard of speed runs.
2. Ultimate forms are not allowed because they remove all possible skill from doing a speed run. They take out any form of strategy involved in getting a fast time.
3. The most powerful form of a net navi is used in order to keep competition in the BN series consistent. It is also more convienent for players to use the most powerful form, especially if the player is stuck in the later sections of the game.
4. In MM:PU, enemies respawn when you scroll back to the location where an enemy was, allowing for near infinite points. There is also a precedent for this rule at TSC due to issues with cars in Sonic Adventure 2's City Escape.
5. The 96-100 mission score rule exists because the rankings use an average score in getting your overall rank in MMZ2-4. Requiring 96-100 reflects getting the S rank in the actual stage itself.
6. Cyber Elves are not allowed for a similar reason to Ultimate forms in the X series. While some elves are not as bad as others, there are elves in all three classes with potent effects on competition.
7. ROM save states are not allowed because of the high potential for cheating. I believe TSC allows ROMS as long as you don't abuse the save states. Although I personally recommend the actual game itself, there's nothing wrong with a ROM (I think).
8. Dark Chips are not allowed because of their negative effects on competition. (See Ultimate Armor)
9. Cyber Space is not allowed since it makes stuff considerably easier (enemies, other stuff).
10. The correct weather for the stage must be used for the same reasons Cyber Space is not allowed (also affects bosses).
« Last Edit: May 19, 2007, 10:30:37 am by sonicam »
Ever know what its like to get pwned by a book? Sonic certainly does.

Offline Rick_242

• Always getting stuck inside walls.
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
Re: Competition Rules Explanation thread
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 11:16:10 pm »
Question.

The competition rules state that ROM save stats are disallowed. Does this mean ROMs as a whole are banned or save stats that are saved at a certain point are banned?

I'm hoping it's the first or I'ma hafta go on a shopping spree (and I hate shopping <_<).
<Sondow> also what
<Sondow> since when was S&K an expansion pack to s3
<Sondow> wiki LIES

Offline magnum12

• TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 11:32:05 pm »
The answer to your question has been added into the first post of this thread as #7. Good point.

Offline Shadow Jacky

• -Proprietor of /d/-
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • BEHOLD!
    • View Profile
    • I streams when on windows
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 02:54:25 am »
well thats the only way I've been able to play the zero series is with roms. 
my name has nothing to do with Shadow The Hedgehog

Completed Runs:
Sonic Heroes: Team Sonic: SS
Rocket Knight Adventures: Easy (US): SS

In the Future:
Aero The Acrobat (Genesis) | More...

Offline sonicam

• TSC's Most Easily Irritated Member
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2007, 02:21:47 pm »
ROMs are fine, every rule about playability is the same as TSC's. Just no save states or using cheating devices/programs.
Chaos Emeralds: Yellow, Red, Green, Blue and Purple.
Keys: Light Blue.

Click here to level up my card!

Offline Tiki

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2007, 07:00:15 pm »
How are we supposed to record from ROMs? I mean because if I just sent in an avi no one would have any idea if I used save states or not. I'm pretty new here, and can't find the rules for recording.

Offline magnum12

• TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2007, 09:33:34 pm »
I have no idea how to record ROMS, (I'm not familiar with ROMS in general) but someone from the main branch of this site tree (TSC) probably does know how. Ask around in their competition central forum and someone's bound to answer. http://www.soniccenter.org/forum/index.php?board=5.0 Hope this helps.

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2007, 02:28:50 pm »
There is an error in the Zero series S-rank rules.  You need 96 or higher to get an S-rank; 95 is still A-rank.  Also, why isn't Zero 1 counted in the S-rank rules?

P.S.  I will destroy everyone in the Zero 1 and Zero 2 S-rank category :P

Offline Shadow Jacky

• -Proprietor of /d/-
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • BEHOLD!
    • View Profile
    • I streams when on windows
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2007, 02:34:02 pm »
I'm still learning Zero 1, but Zero 2 is bleh to me.

Zero 3 though....thats a whole nother ballpark (love zero 3)

damn...looks like I have to redo Zero 3 S ranks if thats true about 96 or higher :/

-one more thing, in the rules in the header...should we state that new game+ for the zero series can be used? 
-also the ability to lvl up before stages in Z1-2. 
-same with X6 in a way to be able to get best rank with X and Zero to have more parts equipped (this may not help in a way...but who knows). 
-And in X5-6, that the stage wont count until the boss is defeated. 
-Zero 4 again...I think while only going for an S rank time should you have to change the weather so the boss is at its strongest...otherwise you should be able to change it to whatever you want. 

I would like some feedback on these.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 02:51:06 pm by Shadow Jacky »
my name has nothing to do with Shadow The Hedgehog

Completed Runs:
Sonic Heroes: Team Sonic: SS
Rocket Knight Adventures: Easy (US): SS

In the Future:
Aero The Acrobat (Genesis) | More...

Offline magnum12

• TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2007, 08:24:22 pm »
I'm still learning Zero 1, but Zero 2 is bleh to me.

Zero 3 though....thats a whole nother ballpark (love zero 3)

damn...looks like I have to redo Zero 3 S ranks if thats true about 96 or higher :/

-one more thing, in the rules in the header...should we state that new game+ for the zero series can be used?¦nbsp;
-also the ability to lvl up before stages in Z1-2.¦nbsp;
-same with X6 in a way to be able to get best rank with X and Zero to have more parts equipped (this may not help in a way...but who knows).¦nbsp;
-And in X5-6, that the stage wont count until the boss is defeated.¦nbsp;
-Zero 4 again...I think while only going for an S rank time should you have to change the weather so the boss is at its strongest...otherwise you should be able to change it to whatever you want.¦nbsp;

I would like some feedback on these.
1. Aye for new game+ in the zero series (will probably get done anyway).
2. Aye for allowing weapon training.
3 and 4. Depends on how the game's clock works. In X8, the clock seems to stop when you reach the boss (based on an experiment I did a while ago). Maybe someone should run an experiment on X5 to see if that's the case.
5. Can edit the rules so the weather is a general rule instead of a division specific rule.
-Edit: Since the clock stops when you reach the boss' lair in X6, my vote is aye for allowing the normal equipment max limits for stages.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 11:07:15 pm by magnum12 »

Offline sonicam

• TSC's Most Easily Irritated Member
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2007, 10:53:06 pm »
Yea, regarding X6, the clock stops when you enter the boss' lair, that's why I edited the rule. The Mavericks don't have to be defeated, you just have to exit the level via their lair (Not the Nightmare's alternative lair).

I don't know about X5 though.

Regarding the New Game+ and weapon training, it doesn't need to be stated.

Zero 1 is counted in the S-Rank rules, it's just not under S-Rank. Just as long as it's there, it's fine, but yes, rules need editing, thanx.

You are able to record ROMs via VBA (Virtual Boy Advance). Open VBA, then the ROM. Go to Tools > Record > Start movie recording.... Then play until you wish the video to end. When you want it to end, do the same procedure, but click Stop movie recording....

For the NES and SNES, I' not too familiar with those types of emulators.
Chaos Emeralds: Yellow, Red, Green, Blue and Purple.
Keys: Light Blue.

Click here to level up my card!

Offline magnum12

• TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2007, 11:21:21 pm »
Rules have been updated.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 11:26:42 pm by magnum12 »

Print

Hits: 233 | Hits This Month: 2 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.06 MB | Time: 0.09s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.