don't click here

TSC's Tournament of Awesome

Print

Author Topic: TSC's Tournament of Awesome  (Read 3959 times)

Offline General Throatstomper

• I can't think of anything witty :(
  • TSC: blueblaze
  • win8 chrome
    • View Profile
TSC's Tournament of Awesome
« on: April 20, 2007, 01:10:45 am »
Have you ever thought to yourself something along the lines of "I am an awesome player but nobody realizes it"? Have you ever wondered how the great players of the day would fair in territory they are not so familiar with?

I have. Which is why I came up with this idea during a particularly engaging match of Mario Kart DS: what about a competitive outing of sorts in certain games in the tournament style?

To start off with, players will be divided into groups with which they have a comparable schedule. Then, given a game or ranking (which will vary from group to group and be announced hours before start time to prevent training) for which a rom can be used, participants will be given a time (such as 7:00 am) and a time limit (such as 20 minutes) in which they must obtain the best possible stat or get as far as they can. Once each player has posted, they will be ranked within their group. After this has gone on an arbitrary number of times, the lowest member of each group will be dropped for good posture.

This will continue until there are 2 users left per group, at which point it will be shifted into brackets based on current standing. Here there will be any combination of challenges to weed out players until the final match up, which will be some over the top spectacle or other.

After the event, a ranking chart will be made with which you can tote how awesome you are in relation to others.

To sign up, post the times when you are best able to play. Keep in mind that not all the rounds will be for Sonic games, and that some challenges may require the use of netplay (don't count on too many though).

A more definite ruleset will be composed in the near future.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 01:30:00 am by genus »

I HOPE YOU DO

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
Re: TSC's Tournament of Awesome
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 10:56:40 am »
Er

5:30 - 11:30 PM GMT weekdays for sure
Did you not think I had a mind?

• win8 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 03:17:07 pm »
I decided to come up with a rough draft for the rules to get feedback from everyone.

Rules (tentative)
1) Each challenge will be worth a certain number of points depending on how many people are in each group and its length. Every 10 points, the lowest member of each group will be dropped.
2) If a rom is to be used, it must be the rom linked in this topic, and must be played using the default gameplay settings of whatever emulator is playing it. Using hacked roms or playing with emulator settings of any sort will result in instant disqualification.
3) For games released in Europe and the United States, the game speed of the US version must be used.
4) You must check in to chat at least 5 minutes before your challenge begins, and you are not to begin your challenge before I say that you can. You must also post in this topic when finished with your challenge, and that post must be made within 10 minutes of the time limit. Failure to do so will result in you being placed in a "make up group" playing a harder challenge for less points, with your score halved. If there are less than 3 people in the makeup group, whoever does worse in the challenge will be eliminated.
5) If you are eliminated, you can return once if you take a championship or set 20 records in a single game with more than 10 players within a week of your elimination. Note that this does not apply for when the tournament goes to brackets.

I'm hesitant on rule 5...but I figure that it encourages competition and gives decent players in ruthless groups a second chance.

On a related note, signups end in two weeks, at which point the first challenges and game will be announced, as well as your groups and their start times. The tournament will begin on Saturday, May 5.

I HOPE YOU DO

Offline Shadow Jacky

• -Proprietor of /d/-
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • BEHOLD!
    • View Profile
    • I streams when on windows
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 04:51:55 pm »
sounds good and I like that all of them wont be sonic games...

count me in.  Also anytime is good for me, unless noted.
my name has nothing to do with Shadow The Hedgehog

Completed Runs:
Sonic Heroes: Team Sonic: SS
Rocket Knight Adventures: Easy (US): SS

In the Future:
Aero The Acrobat (Genesis) | More...

• win8 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2007, 09:39:11 pm »
The overall interest in this tournament is low. While it's fairly early, I still see this as a sign for minor concern. As such, I have decided to include prizes for the winner, runner up, and last place deadbeat.

First Place: Bruce Allmighty on vhs, copies of Glover, Perfect Dark, and Tony Hawk: Pro Skater for the n64, Medal of Honor, Driver, and Final Fantasy 7 for the Playstation, as well  as a certificate stating that they obtained first place and are officially the most awesome gamer on tsc.
Second Place: The game cases for Sonic the Hedgehog and Sonic the Hedgehog 2 as well as copies of Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut and 1984 by George Orwell and a certificate stating that they obtained second place and are officially the second most awesome gamer on tsc.
Last Place: a red Sharpie-mini (working) and a copy of Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger

Note that these fine prizes I found lying around the house will only be offered if 10 or more people sign up for the "Tournament of Awesome". Eligible recipients will only be asked for addresses post-tourney (which I will forget immediately afterwards...I promise), and can choose to decline prizes at their discretion, or have monetary values sent instead ($20 for first place, $10 for second, nothing for last).

Now let's see what happens.

I HOPE YOU DO

Offline yse

• Thrower of Gauntlets
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC: mike89
  • win10 chrome
  • Constitutions written: 1 and counting
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2007, 10:04:03 pm »
See the problem with you calling this the tournament of awesome is that it detracts from my tournament idea which is infinitely more awesome. I request a name change or else withdraw my support.

<3 Thorn.

Offline Spinballwizard

• TSC Purist
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • That's enough of that.
    • View Profile
    • WSBW GameCenter
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2007, 02:20:09 am »
I'd probably enter for lolvalue if it weren't for a few factors.

1. What would I do with the prizes? Bruce Almighty? Meh. Don't have an N64. I have better MoH's, not big on Driver, I can steal borrow FF7 from a friend. I have original cases for Sonic 1 and 2 in my room (with games inside them, and a few other games as well). And I'm not a bookworm either. (Already read Catcher in the Rye too. Yes I know money's involved, but...

2. Possibility of netplay means I have to hax0r my way through the nazi firewall, and attempts to do so have failed. (Hence why I can't wifi.)

3. What's this thing called time? Knowing my boss, he'll schedule me for random days at random times. Fridays are out anyways. And then there's that summer class...

Also I call BS on RPG. Surely you are available until at least 3am GMT most days. #soniccenter doesn't lie.
<Tails> also "GET BLUE SPHERES" on a black-and-white TV remains the best special stage of all time

<Achlys> wat ave you done!
<Spinballwizard> apparently killed your h key

Offline Shadow Jacky

• -Proprietor of /d/-
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • BEHOLD!
    • View Profile
    • I streams when on windows
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2007, 11:45:18 am »
:/

this is looking like fail...
my name has nothing to do with Shadow The Hedgehog

Completed Runs:
Sonic Heroes: Team Sonic: SS
Rocket Knight Adventures: Easy (US): SS

In the Future:
Aero The Acrobat (Genesis) | More...

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2007, 03:48:34 pm »
Spinny my internets dont get left on every nite tho :(
Did you not think I had a mind?

Print

Hits: 109 | Hits This Month: 3 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.10 MB | Time: 0.09s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.