don't click here

TSC and the Secret Rings

Print

Author Topic: TSC and the Secret Rings  (Read 110598 times)

Offline eggFL

Re: TSC and the Secret Rings
« Reply #120 on: February 20, 2007, 06:37:55 pm »
The Gamespot review doesn't even say that, that's just the IGN review. And frankly it doesn't matter what game reviewers say, especially any one game reviewer, so don't even start with IGN of all sites.

I played X7 too, so I know very well what's good and bad about it.

Reviewers like that guy say that 2D is better because it more accurately provides a view angle for the platforming challenges, but what they miss is that the 3D gameplay is /actually more fun/.

It's funny because the only parts of X7 that I remember to even be all that difficult in the first place is the 2D stages, not the 3D.

And it's really lowering your standards because the quality of the 2D gameplay in X7 is vastly worse and more clunky than any fully 2D Megaman X before it.

Let me tell you something about IGN. ("you can't spell ignorance without IGN") Have you ever heard their "Role of the Reviewer" podcast? They got to make themselves look like assholes and put themselves on a high horse and moral superiority for an hour. You might afterwards want to read my blog regarding it if you're interested.

Game reviews shouldn't be thrown around as if it's some factual-based statistic to disprove the opinions of Joe everyman. (unless you like being an asshole) It really comes down to one opinion against another's and really doesn't help anyone.

Some tidbits some apparently don't know about IGN:
 - They gave SA2 a 9.4, yet they gave SA2B a 6.9.
 - Megaman X7, Star Fox Assault, and 50 Cent Bulletproof are each rated better than Shadow the Hedgehog.
 - They gave Megaman X6 an 8.0, they gave Megaman X5 an 8.5, and they gave Megaman X4 a 7.0.

Offline MrNomad

« Reply #121 on: February 20, 2007, 08:15:26 pm »
This is why i gave up on what "professional" reviewers think of games. At least on gamefaqs you can see the reviews that the common people say and think. Besides you dont hafta tell me most top game-reviewing sites have biased reviewers, i mean really they said Iron Phoenix wasnt any good.Iron Phoenix was a good game, and it deserves better than what it got, besides, IT WAS THE VERY FIRST OF ITS KIND, AND SO FAR ITS THE BEST YOU CAN FIND. What pissed me off more is that they praised Mortal Kombat Deception. I wanna kill gamespot for ever thinking that was even decent of a game..

Offline Rick_242

• Always getting stuck inside walls.
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 20, 2007, 08:32:21 pm »
Ready for questions my fellow...T...S...C...

Don't bombard me with 8-20 questions in one post `kay?
<Sondow> also what
<Sondow> since when was S&K an expansion pack to s3
<Sondow> wiki LIES

Offline Waxwings

« Reply #123 on: February 20, 2007, 09:41:24 pm »
IGN review, 6.9.
COuld be better, but look at the last paragraph.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/766/766214p1.html

Offline Rick_242

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 20, 2007, 09:45:33 pm »
Since IGNorance type reviews phail I refuse to read that.

*rick disco dances because he feels like it*
<Sondow> also what
<Sondow> wiki LIES

Offline Waxwings

« Reply #125 on: February 20, 2007, 11:34:54 pm »
GS review is up, you find the link.

Offline magnum12

• Awesome Overlord of TMMC
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 20, 2007, 11:42:44 pm »
-Someone beat me to the GS punch. Great game with some control problems, frustrating difficulty and hit or miss party games. Still a solid choice for Wii owners. So far the average score is an 8.0 with IGN as the negative outlier. I've heard that the actual person reviewing the game is the member on the staff that hates Sonic games but then again, its a rumor. Some have said that his review is so low because he got his butt kicked and reduced the score because of it, but whether its true or not is purely speculation at this time. So far there haven't been many complaints about glitches affecting the game yet, so I'm crossing my fingers that this will be a 3D Sonic competition that isn't dominated by glitches. (I'm one of those gamers that believe that ALL glitches regardless of if they're positive or negative, are inherently bad when they reach the final version of a game.)
Ever know what its like to get pwned by a book? Sonic certainly does.

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
« Reply #127 on: February 21, 2007, 06:30:52 am »
Looking good - shame they spent time on these damn minigames instead of more core gameplay, but meh.

Glitches - if you have to work for them they're amusing.  If they come and slap you in the face when you're just trying to play, they're not.
This topic has now been officially won by me.  Never mind, you might do better next time!
www.douglasgresham.co.uk - it's in the intarwebs, it must be true!

Offline KnucklesSonic8

« Reply #128 on: February 21, 2007, 01:40:37 pm »
Looking good - shame they spent time on these damn minigames instead of more core gameplay, but meh.

You're kidding right.. >_>

Anyway, good to hear you got the game, Ricky. And nice reference there. ;)
But seriously, it was written by a guy who like hates Sonic anyway so yeah....

Um, anyway, I have like 25 questions I'm currently awaiting for answers from another person so I think I'll be okay. If you could, though, I'd appreciate it if you test out some of the missions for me and let me know what's tabulated at the end of them (Times, Scores, Rings, etc?). If you want, you can tell me the names of the mini-games unlocked from the start but as I'm sure you're still in excitement over the game, you don't have to worry about that if you don't want to. :)
Wiiloveit

Current Competition Focus: ---
Wants S&S All-Stars Racing

Offline General Throatstomper

• I can't think of anything witty :(
  • TSC: blueblaze
  • win8 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 21, 2007, 02:23:32 pm »
I just got the game.

My time for the first mission was: 0:35:10

I hit one of the walls. Now, I am the first champion of SatSR by default.

I HOPE YOU DO

Offline Cream147

« Reply #130 on: February 21, 2007, 02:29:24 pm »
When I get this game (March 15th, no sooner no later), I'm going to submit some times in near immediatly. That way, I just might come in the top 10!

Offline X-5

« Reply #131 on: February 21, 2007, 03:57:33 pm »
odds are it will take much longer than that before there's even 10 people submitting for the game, so i'd hope that you would be in the top 10.

so who else got screwed out of getting this game? all the stores I went to said it doesn't come out until march 27th or something so I guess it'll be a few more days before I can get it, assuming they're wrong.

Offline Rick_242

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 21, 2007, 07:22:31 pm »
Now, I am the first champion of SatSR by default.

*raises eyebrow*

I will not mention or submit my pwnsome records until everyone else is competing. Now some of you might ask why? The reason is that I don't want a handicap. So, When you guys get the game around March or whatever I will be submitting times. Just wanted you guys to know.
<Sondow> also what
<Sondow> wiki LIES

Offline KnucklesSonic8

« Reply #133 on: February 22, 2007, 04:11:08 pm »
I just got the game.

My time for the first mission was: 0:35:10

I hit one of the walls. Now, I am the first champion of SatSR by default.

That's what my topic is for. Geez, do people like not read.. >_<
(For those confused for whatever reason, it's in the Comp. Central thread..)
Wiiloveit

Offline blackcanoflysol

« Reply #134 on: February 24, 2007, 09:38:55 am »
I got this game on  the 21 since my gamestop received their shipments the day after launch. =[

I 'beat' it on the 23, but I still have missions I haven't unlocked and gold medals to get on them.

I was very surprised, and it is indeed better than some of the more recent Sonic titles. Constant forward movement is something that you need to adjust though, and honestly, the storyline kinda sucks.

Go get the game as fast as you can though, its really great.

Offline X-5

« Reply #135 on: February 24, 2007, 10:57:14 am »
I got the game 2 days ago and i'm dissapointed. The game itself is okay at best (5/10, so far atleast) but I'll say right now i'll never compete in it. Even if I did, i'd never get any records anyway, I hate the constant forward movement and lack of freedom, I can't play like that worth a damn, and there's really no skill involved getting fast times(Kinda like how time attacking heros sucked, only much worse)

and from what I can see ring attacking will be nonexistent, because you can only carry  a very small amount of rings anyway

yeah..hopefully the game will get better to just casually play, but I see no hope at all when it comes to me time attacking it. I guess a SA/SA2 like game will never be made again :(

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
« Reply #136 on: February 24, 2007, 11:06:25 am »
I guess a SA/SA2 like game will never be made again :(

Sonic '06 ftw
Did you not think I had a mind?

Offline MrNomad

« Reply #137 on: February 26, 2007, 09:15:16 am »

Sonic '06 ftw
hahahaha no

Offline KnucklesSonic8

« Reply #138 on: February 26, 2007, 01:41:24 pm »
I got the game 2 days ago and i'm dissapointed.

A lot of you are gonna be surprised but I only rented the game. I'm SO glad I did... the Party Mode is stellar despite the negative criticism it's been getting. I would buy this game if it were not for one thing that totally destroyed my thoughts of the game, and that being the story. The whole genie-magic-wishing-I'm gonna rule the world concept did not appeal to me at all. I'm glad I made the right choice as now I can worry about something more important. Like.. oh I dunno... SSX Blur or Mario Party 8! :P
Wiiloveit

Offline Groudon

• 1 hour, 39 minutes, 52 seconds
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Groudon199
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #139 on: February 26, 2007, 02:41:34 pm »
I've dealt with games that had good gameplay, but a WTF story.  For me, if the story is lame, but the gameplay is good, that's enough.  This game shouldn't be too different when I get it.

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 26, 2007, 02:49:10 pm »

Sonic '06 ftw
hahahaha no

Evidently youve not played it.

Offline KnucklesSonic8

« Reply #141 on: February 26, 2007, 03:04:42 pm »
I've dealt with games that had good gameplay, but a WTF story.  For me, if the story is lame, but the gameplay is good, that's enough.  This game shouldn't be too different when I get it.

Knowing you, not just based on what you said, I think you'll enjoy it. I just still can't believe I didn't... It was all the Story, man... the "ridiculous" story...
Wiiloveit

Offline MrNomad

« Reply #142 on: February 26, 2007, 07:32:07 pm »

Sonic '06 ftw
hahahaha no

Evidently youve not played it.
no but i was fortunate enough to see the glitches, the loading, and the not-so great gameplay on youtube, so i dont hafta waste money buying such an awful game. out of the two new ones, Sonc/Secret rings is the only one worth getting.

Offline Stefan

« Reply #143 on: February 27, 2007, 08:03:11 am »
s06's gameplay is wonderful. Loading screens and glitches, not so much.

Offline MrNomad

« Reply #144 on: February 27, 2007, 08:36:02 am »
s06's gameplay is wonderful. Loading screens and glitches, not so much.
Sonics gameplay wasnt any interesting at all, he moves slower and glitches are there either way. The problem with this game is they messed up sonic's gameplay and the game was meant to be a return to his roots. Instead it became the opposite. Sonic/Secret Rings however does a much better job at this.

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 27, 2007, 12:14:40 pm »
Sonics gameplay is fine, and their are much less glitches than you'd expect, just by playing and TAing normally Ive found very few.

Although I cant refute the loading times being awful, but you get used to them.

Also exactly how can you say the gameplay is bad when youve not actually played it.

Offline F-Man

« Reply #146 on: February 27, 2007, 01:59:52 pm »
Sonic '06 is an authentic platorming experience and that alone makes it better than SatSR anyday.

What was this topic about again?

Offline KnucklesSonic8

« Reply #147 on: February 28, 2007, 05:15:42 pm »
What was this topic about again?

Yeah really... >_>
Wiiloveit

Offline MrNomad

« Reply #148 on: February 28, 2007, 06:42:34 pm »
Sonics gameplay is fine, and their are much less glitches than you'd expect, just by playing and TAing normally Ive found very few.

Although I cant refute the loading times being awful, but you get used to them.

Also exactly how can you say the gameplay is bad when youve not actually played it.
Because ive seen the gameplay, and i notice that a couple of ideas/stages are a lot lik copied versions from sonic adventure, meaning there really isnt much idea put into those portions of the game >.> And to F-Mans quote, thats your opinion and all, but your opinion does nothing against facts about the game. Besides, Go to SEGA forums or gamefaqs, you'll realize a lot more people, both fans and non, choose SatSr over sonic '06 Apperently, your opinion is full of crap.

Offline yse

• Thrower of Gauntlets
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC: mike89
  • win10 chrome
  • Constitutions written: 1 and counting
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 28, 2007, 06:59:45 pm »
*sigh*

*lock*

<3 Thorn.

Print

Hits: 911 | Hits This Month: 5 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.29 MB | Time: 0.06s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.