don't click here

ITT SBW makes another sad attempt at a TCG

Print

Author Topic: ITT SBW makes another sad attempt at a TCG  (Read 29769 times)

Offline Spinballwizard

• TSC Purist
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • That's enough of that.
    • View Profile
    • WSBW GameCenter
ITT SBW makes another sad attempt at a TCG
« on: October 05, 2006, 02:13:58 am »
I "leaked" the news to RPG a couple nights ago, and while I didn't really give him any details, I did tell him this:

I came up with a better idea for a Sonic-based TCG. That's a hell of a lot better than the failed Time Attack one I did. (No offense to anyone who thought the idea was good, but looking back it was pretty lame. Oh, and do remember that Thread Necromancy is punishable by Smiting.)

Basic premise: Get a character to your opponent's "capsule" on their end of the board (Currently X-by-20, but subject to change). Or force them to "Time Over" (known in MtG as victory by "mill").

Rings serve as a basic money/"mana" system to pay for cards. The system's still in a baby stage so it's pretty bad at the moment. (Primarily with the starting amount.) Anyways, I'm just going to show off a few cards I've designed so far and ask for opinions/help in design. At the moment, everything's subject to change.

All of the parts of each card should be self-explanatory. (A short group or parentheses () is supposed to be a ring symbol, since O looks too much like 0. At least in Notepad where I'm storing everything at the moment.) Here's what I have so far, which is mostly some okay commons/uncommons and a bunch of likely overpowered rares:

Name: Sonic the Hedgehog
Type: Character (Hero)
Rarity: Rare
Cost: ()5
Speed: 6
Ring: 3
Recollect: 10
Difficulty: 5
Abilities: You can't play Sonic the Hedgehog if have have any Robot Characters in play or if another card named Sonic the Hedgehog is in play. Sonic may attack two Characters during your turn. (If the first attack fails, you don't get a second one. After attacking the first, Sonic may continue moving as though he didn't attack, up to his Speed.)

---

Name: Miles "Tails" Prower
Rarity: Rate
Speed: 3
Ring: 4
Difficulty: 4
Abilities: You can't play Miles "Tails" Prower if another card named Miles "Tails" Prower is in play. Once during your turn, you may pay one ring to let Tails move through a tile with another character without attacking or stopping. (If Tails moves as far as his speed will take him, you must attack a character on the tile he ends up at.)

---

Name: Knuckles the Echidna
Speed: 3
Abilities: You can't play Knuckles the Echidna if another card named Knuckles the Echidna is in play. Whenever an opponent plays an Obstacle card on Knuckles, roll a 6-sided die. If you roll a 1, that player discards that Obstacle card and it has no effect.

---

Name: Metal Sonic
Type: Character (Enemy Robot)
Cost: ()6
Speed: 5
Ring: 2
Recollect: 5
Abilities: You can't play Metal Sonic if another card named Metal Sonic is in play. If an opponent has a card named Sonic the Hedgehog in play, Metal Sonic gets Speed +1 and must move to attack Sonic the Hedgehog if possible.

---

Name: E-102 "Gamma"
Type: Character (Hero Robot)
Speed: 4
Recollect: 5
Abilities: You can't play E-102 "Gamma" if another card named E-102 "Gamma" is in play. If Gamma has not moved this turn, you may have it attack all Characters in tiles adjacent to it. This attack automatically hits. Those characters don't attack Gamma back.

---

Name: Shield
Type: Effect
Rarity: Common
Cost: ()3
Effect: Attach Shield to a character. If the character Shield is attached to is attacked and hit, discard Shield. This character doesn't lose rings by being hit by that attack.

---

Name: Lightning Shield
Rarity: Uncommon
Effect: Attach Lightning Shield to a character. If the character Lightning Shield is attached to is attacked and hit, discard Lightning Shield. This character doesn't lose rings by being hit by that attack. This character gets Ring +2.

---

Name: Labyrinth Zone
Effect: Put Labyrinth Zone on any tile. This tile and all tiles within 3 tiles of it are considered underwater. At the beginning of each turn, put a drown marker on any character that is underwater. If a character has 5 drown markers on it, put it into the Scrap Heap. Characters that are underwater have Speed 1.

---

Name: Water Shield
Effect: Attach Water Shield to a character and remove all drown markers from it (if any). If the character Water Shield is attached to is attacked and hit, discard Water Shield. This character doesn't lose rings by being hit by that attack. Don't put any drown markers on this character if it's underwater.

---

Name: Timed Spikes
Type: Obstacle
Cost: ()1
Effect: Play at any time during your opponent's turn (except during an attack). Roll a die. If the result is even, choose a character in play. That character is considered hit.

---

Name: Loop
Cost: ()2
Effect: Play whenever an opponent's character moves one tile. The character that just moved gets speed -2 until end of turn.

---

Name: Piston Room
Type: Boss
Cost: ()4
Armor: 8
Effects: Whenever Piston Room is attacked, roll a die. If you roll a 5, that attack does nothing. If you roll a 6, that attack does nothing and you may put the attacking character into the Scrap Heap.

---

Name: Labyrinth Maze
Armor: 1
Effects: The 10 tiles in front of you (in all rows) are considered underwater. At the beginning of each turn, put a drown marker on any character that is underwater. If a character has 5 drown markers on it, put it into the Scrap Heap. Characters that are underwater have Speed 1.

---

Name: Air Bubble
Effect: Attach Air Bubble to one of your Characters. At any time, you may discard Air Bubble. If you do, remove all drown markers from it.

---

Inputs appreciated.
<Tails> also "GET BLUE SPHERES" on a black-and-white TV remains the best special stage of all time

<Achlys> wat ave you done!
<Spinballwizard> apparently killed your h key

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
Re: ITT SBW makes another sad attempt at a TCG
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 06:53:34 am »
That......sounds awesome.

Frankly, I cant find a better way to explain it. I mean, a few more cards would be nice, like say, Marble Zone+Fireballs, Badniks, maybe even ol' Eggy but Im just bouncing idea's here.
Did you not think I had a mind?

Offline magnum12

• Awesome Overlord of TMMC
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 12:18:43 pm »
Sounds like a strange combination of a TCG game and a tactical RPG. Interesting, though I would love to see a TSC TCG.
Ever know what its like to get pwned by a book? Sonic certainly does.

Offline KnucklesSonic8

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 03:32:58 pm »
I would also love to see a TSC TCG!
Wiiloveit

Current Competition Focus: ---
Wants S&S All-Stars Racing

Offline Spinballwizard

• TSC Purist
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • That's enough of that.
    • View Profile
    • WSBW GameCenter
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 07:37:54 pm »
I mean, a few more cards would be nice, like say, Marble Zone+Fireballs, Badniks, maybe even ol' Eggy but Im just bouncing idea's here.
Well I'm still coming up with ideas you spoony bard. It's not like I'm done yet. "Eggy" will make an appearance, and not just as various Boss-type cards.

My main problem right now is that the rares seem too powerful and I'm a bit sketchy on the watery cards (Labyrinth Zone, Labyrinth Maze) with respect to their power as well. It'll definitely be a while before this thing sees any worthwhile life.

Oh and magnum: Now that I think about it, it's kinda like a tactical RPG of sorts. Didn't think about that before. <_<
<Tails> also "GET BLUE SPHERES" on a black-and-white TV remains the best special stage of all time

Offline KnucklesSonic8

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2006, 08:34:55 pm »
If you need help with the designing of the cards, I can be of assistance! :D

But seriously, I can help you if you need some help in that area. I can work wonders in Photoshop - my favorite program... ever. :)
Wiiloveit

Offline magnum12

• Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2006, 10:39:03 pm »
For a TSC TCG, it would be pretty easy to make. All we'd need to do is make some minor adjustments to SBW's game design, which has some real potential.
-Additions:
1. Creation of a jump stat that reflects how high a character can jump (for terrain that'smore vertical assuming a grid like the ones from Final Fantasy Tactics or Heroscape, which I believe is how SBW's board is like.
2. The addition of an alignment system. (For the purpose of deck building.) "Hero" characters would include Sonic & co along with prominent TSC members. "Dark" characters would include Eggman, badnicks, Black Doom, Black Arms, cheaters, trolls, and "n00bs of the apocpalypse." In addition to hero and dark characters, there would be alignment restricted equip, special attack, and field cards.
3. I think when we design cards, we should either make cards that are staples (should be in every deck) or make cards that require their own deck type in order to work. We may also need to make restricted lists that restrict the copies of a particular card that can be used in a deck. Of course, to make the game more accessible, we should try to make it so that the ratio of good cards is relatively evenly distributed across all rarities. (For example, if a set were to contain 15 "important cards", 4-6 of them would be common, uncommon, and rare to make deck building easier for new players.)

Offline Spinballwizard

• TSC Purist
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • That's enough of that.
    • View Profile
    • WSBW GameCenter
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2006, 03:14:04 am »
I'm not sure if it's even going to end up visual at all. If it does, it'll probably be something that could be done in Paint. But visual design isn't on my mind at the moment. It's more on the conceptual level, as magnum's basically referring to.

To go through magnum's new comments:

1. That'd probably make the game too complex, to be honest. (The Character cards are cluttered enough as it is. Look how many different variables they have in comparison to Effects, Obstacles, and Bosses.) I am looking at obstacle cards (Loop is a decent example) that will have a similar effect, primarily in limiting speed.

2. I hadn't even thought about adding TSC regulars to the set. I was basically thinking that (for now) they'd just be base Sonic cast. Maybe for an expansion, though...

I do have "half" of an alignment system in there, though. Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles are all Heroes, while Metal Sonic is an Enemy (though I could change this to Dark quite easily; the game's nowhere near playtesting yet). Badniks will make an appearance (though I haven't designed any yet, I have a general idea in my head for the spike badniks in Marble Garden. Probably something like below):

Name: Spiker (I believe that's the English name... I'll have to fetch my S3 manual.)
Type: Character (Robot)
Speed: 0
Ring: 1
Recollect: 0
Difficulty: 3
Abilities: You may play Spiker on any tile rather than one in front of you. If Spiker is attacked and the attacking roll is a 2, the attacking character loses no rings, but does move back a space. (It can't attack any more this turn.)

Field cards are basically Effects. Ones that are just thrown on the field (instead of on a character) have that effect. (Take Labyrinth Zone as an example.) Other cards can mimic this, too. (See Labyrinth Maze, which basically is the Labyrinth Zone concept, considering it's based off the Act 3 "boss.")

3. There'll be staples, of course. But I wouldn't want too many "good" ones -- that'd throw the game out of balance and make it a lot less fun. I want to try to avoid restricted lists too, unless something starts becoming heavily abused. (Playtesting should get rid of most of that.)

---

Anyone who has any card ideas can go ahead and submit them; use the format I have. (As a few notes: Speed is how many tiles a character can move. Ring is how many Rings it gives itself each turn, which in turn also add to your ring total (which you use to play cards). Recollect is how many rings it can regain if it doesn't move the turn after it loses them. (I still have to figure out how this is going to work though.) Difficulty is the number you have to roll on a d6 (or greater) to successfully hit the character. (Heroes are much tougher to hit, obviously.) Abilities/Effects are basically the same thing, and are self-explanatory. (There can be "vanilla" characters with no abilities.) Armor is how many hits a boss can take before it's destroyed.)

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2006, 06:26:15 am »
Spinny you shoud've known Id submit this one as soon as you said you were open to suggestions <_<

Name: 3D Sonic Syndrome/3D Camers
Cost: ()10
Effect: After each player (excluding yourself) has moved on their first turn after this card has been played, they must roll a die. If they roll between 1 and 4, they fall off the stage, lose a life and restart at the nearest checkpoint/beginning. Discard this card when it returns to your turn.

Offline magnum12

• Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2006, 03:03:08 pm »
How many effects can be stacked on any one character? I think there should be sub-divisions in the "equip on character effect" group, such as weapons (Shadow & various robots), defenses (shields) and other.
-Edit: Just came up with some new card designs and ideas for new expansions. We could name the 1st expansion "Enter the Speed Runners". The 2nd expansion could be called "Birth of TSC4" and would feature the introduction of sub site themed stuff (such as the TMC stuff I'll show), alternate win conditions, and support cards for specific characters. The TSC 4 cards I'll propose will come after card #2. (I'll draw what I mean from a radius at the end of the post.) I suspect I've found a gameplay flaw in regards to unique characters. Mirror matches will become unfeasible, causing trouble if by some chance two people with similar deck types play each other. To correct this, I suggest reworking their restrictions so that a player can only have one copy of a specific unique character on the field at any time.
1. Name: Shadow the Hedgehog
Type: Character (Hero, humanoid)
Cost: ()7
Speed: 6
Abilities: You can't play Shadow the Hedgehog if have have any Robot Characters in play or if another card named Shadow the Hedgehog is in play. Chaos Blast: By spending 4 rings, once per turn, you can roll an attack dice against everything within a radius of 3 tiles from Shadow. This attack also affects allied characters.

2. Name: magnum12 "Enter the Speed Runners"
Type: Character (Hero, humanoid)
Recollect: 8
Abilities: You can't play magnum12 if another card named magnum12 is in play. Weapon Specialization (melee): The cost of equiping melee weapon effect cards to this character is reduced by 2.

3. Name: TMC Portal (alternate win condition card) "Birth of TSC4'
Difficulty: 1
Armor: 1
Effect: You cannot play this card unless magnum12 is in play. Place this card on a tile within 3 tiles of your capsule. Both players must pick a unique character they own. As long as this card remains on the field, players must defeat the chosen enemy character to win the game.

4. Name: Leviathan "Birth of TSC4"
Type: Boss (Robot, Guardian)
Cost: ()12
Ring: 0
Recollect: 0
Armor: 4
Abilities: You can't play Leviathan if have have any other Guardian bosses in play, if another card named Leviathan is in play, or if TMC Portal is not on the field. Embodiment of Water: Leviathan is unaffected by the negative effects of water spaces. Aquatic Combat Master: Leviathan gets a +1 bonus to attack and difficulty if in a water space.
-Here what I mean by radius. The S is for Shadow, the X would be the AOE. If you've played Final Fantasy Tactics or Disgaea, this should be familiar.
      X
    XXX
  XXXXX
XXXSXXX
  XXXXX
    XXX
      X
« Last Edit: October 07, 2006, 01:44:36 am by magnum12 »

Offline CosmicFalcon

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2006, 12:06:12 pm »
It's like Heroclix with cards! Madness!

The problem with using the Sonic cast is the sheer number of unique characters, many of the cards you have designed have rules text that prevents more than one of them being in play.

On that note, you should consider having a rule akin to the Legend rule from MtG, which states that if a card's class is 'Legend' or 'Legendary', a player may only have one of that card in play. I forget the exact rules around that.

Likewise, you might want to make the drown token thing a rule in its own right, rather than being on the cards' rules text. You could also have various 'maps', which have built in obstacles and underwater bits etc. oh and bottomless pits.

And now for some card ideas to think about...

1. Upgrades, a la Adventure series. They are like other effect cards like the shields, but more permanent and therefore costing more? Viz, off the top of my head,

Name: Light Shoes
Type: Upgrade
Cost: ()4?
Text: This upgrade may be attached only to cards named Sonic the Hedgehog or Shadow the Hedgehog. The upgraded character has the ability "()2: Light Speed Attack - This character may attack up to 2 additional characters within two tiles' distance. If any attack fails, this character may attack no further characters."

Name: Air Necklace
Type: Upgrade
Cost: ()4?
Text: This upgrade may be attached only to cards named Knuckles the Echidna. Remove all Drown counters from the upgraded character. Do not place any further Drown counters on the upgraded character.

2. Transformations? An effect card that puts the character you attach it to into a Super form? Cost ()50? Lawl.

3. Generic randomness:

Name: Boost Pad
Cost: ()1
Text: When you place Boost Pad on a tile, choose a non-diagonal direction. When a character lands on this tile, it gets Speed +4, but may only move in the direction chosen when Boost Pad was played.

Name: Time Stop
Type: Chaos Power (omg I made a new one!!11oneonoe)
Cost: ()9
Text: Play at any time during your opponent's turn. It is now your turn.

Name: {colour} Chaos Emerald
Type: Gem (referring to Emeralds, Time Stones... Chaos Rings?)
Cost: ()7
Text: As long as at least one Chaos Emerald is under your control, you may play Chaos Powers. When any character lands on the tile occupied by {colour} Chaos Emerald, that character's owner may pay ()5. If they do, {colour} Chaos Emerald is now under their control.

Name: Crusher
Text: Play at any time during your opponent's turn (except during an attack). Roll a die. If the result is even, choose a character in play. That character is considered hit as if they had no Rings. Ignore all Shield cards attached to that character.

Ok I'm bored now. I don't deal in balanced cards, I deal in imaginitive ideas. Read: my costs are probably dumb.
"A graph of cf's coolness as age increases would be exponential." - Stefan [14:26, 2008/08/23]
"I now realise that CF is complete and utter win." - Cruizer [13:46, 2009/10/23]

Offline KnucklesSonic8

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2006, 12:27:25 pm »
Do you need some help on some card ideas? I can help a bit I think. I'll think of a few today and post later or tomorrow.
Wiiloveit

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2006, 12:32:51 pm »
Hmm

Name: Mystic Cave Pit of Instant Death
Cost: ()10
Effect: Play whenever an opponent's character moves one tile. That character returns to the beginning of the level/nearest checkpoint and loses a life.

Also I am totally hot for this, this is an awesome idea.

also CF my bro had some heroclix once :O

I always had the Mage Knight figures X)

Offline General Throatstomper

• I can't think of anything witty :(
  • TSC: blueblaze
  • win8 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2006, 02:19:35 pm »
This is one sad attempt at a trading card game. Or "TCG" as we've dubbed it. Though of course I am being sarcastic, for I am pro this sort of madness. It's lke 1000 blank cards, only it pretends it has structure. Speaking of which, someone should search through Lovecraft's notes and find the necromonican. "Thread necromancy".

Hey, why not contribute?

Name: Cardboard Wall
Rarity:Common
Cost:()10
Effect: Play whenever your opponent moves more than three tiles. That character will collide and break through the wall, reducing the tiles remaining in that turn to 1.

Name: Froggy
Type: Character
Cost:()5
Speed:1
Recollect:0
Difficulty:1
Abilities: You cannot play Froggy if Amy, Sonic, Knuckles, Tails, E-102, Big, Eggman, or Chaos is not in play, or if another card named "Froggy" is in play. When placed in water, no drown tokens can be placed on Froggy, and he has a speed of 8. When outside of water, Froggy has a speed of 1, and moves 4 tiles for every vertical spring hit. If Froggy passes Big, the card named "Froggy" is discarded. If Froggy passes Chaos, the card named "Chaos 6" is put into play for the owner of Chaos, and the cards named "Froggy" and "Chaos" are discarded. When not passing the cards named "Chaos" or "Big", Froggy has the same effect as an emerald, and is discarded when passing another character.

Name: Chaos
Rarity:Uncommon
Cost:()30
Speed:3
Recollect:5
Difficulty:2
Abilities:You cannot play Chaos if Amy, Sonic, Knuckles, Big, Eggman, Tails, E-102, Big, or Froggy is not in play, or when another card named "Chaos" is allready in play. When placed in water, no drown tokens are placed on Chaos, and he loses no speed. Chaos is not affected by crushing or spikes. If Chaos passes  the card named "Chaos Emerald", his difficulty and speed both go up by 1, and the card named "Chaos Emerald" is discarded. If Chaos passes the card named "Froggy", the cards named "Chaos" and "Froggy" are both discarded, and the player owning the card named "Chaos" puts into play the card named "Chaos 6".

Name: Chaos 6
Rarity:N/A (Only usable when the cards named "Chaos" and "Froggy" pass each other)
Cost:N/A
Speed: 5
Recollect:5
Difficulty:5
Abilities: Chaos 6 is automatically played after the cards named "Chaos" and "Froggy" combine. The only obstacles Chaos 6 is affected by are wall obstacles. When in water, Chaos  6 can have no drown tokens placed on him, and loses no speed. If Chaos 6 passes the card named "Chaos Emerald", the cards named "Chaos 6" and "Chaos Emerald" are discarded, and the card named "Perfect Chaos" is put into play for the owner of the card named "Chaos 6".

Name: Perfect Chaos
Rarity:N/A (only usable when "Chaos 6" passes the card named "Chaos Emerald)
Speed:N/A
Difficulty:20
Abilities: If the card named "Sonic" is in play for your opponent, he is discarded and replaced by the card named "Super Sonic". If the card named "Sonic" is not in play for your opponent, he may play it at any time and have it turned into the card named "Super Sonic", regardless of ring count. Perfect Chaos can instantly move to any tile containing water. Perfect Chaos can have no drown tokens placed on him. For the cost of 200 rings, Perfect Chaos can use the attack "Tidal wave", permenantly covering an area of 8 tiles by 8 tiles with water. Only characters in Super or Final form may attack Perfect Chaos. If the card named "Tikal" passes the card named "Perfect Chaos", the cards named "Perfect Chaos" and "Tikal" are discarded.

(pst someone make Tikal for me)

Name:Super Sonic
Type:Character
Rarity:N/A
Cost:50
Speed:20
Recollect:-1
Abilities:The card named "Super Sonic" is put into play if the card named "Sonic" passes the card "Chaos Emerald" 7 times and has more than 50 rings, or if the instructions of another card dictate that he be played. Super Sonic is immune to all obstacles other than water obstacles and crushing. Every turn, the player rolls a die. If the number is even, the player of Super Sonic gains two rings; if not, they lose one. If the player of "Super Sonic" loses all their rings, the card named "Super Sonic" is replaced by the card named "Sonic". For 100 rings, Super Sonic can use the attack "Super Charge", which allows Sonic to roll the die 4 times during an attack. For 200 rings, Super Sonic can use the attack "Super Flash", which destroys all other characters with a lesser difficulty within 5 tiles, regardless of owner.

(Someone make Hyper Sonic/Super Tails/Hyper Knuckles/etc)

And so on. I'm too lazy to do more for now.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2006, 06:39:52 pm by genus »

I HOPE YOU DO

Offline Spinballwizard

• TSC Purist
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • That's enough of that.
    • View Profile
    • WSBW GameCenter
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2006, 02:38:46 pm »
The problem with using the Sonic cast is the sheer number of unique characters, many of the cards you have designed have rules text that prevents more than one of them being in play.

On that note, you should consider having a rule akin to the Legend rule from MtG, which states that if a card's class is 'Legend' or 'Legendary', a player may only have one of that card in play. I forget the exact rules around that.
MtG current rules: Whenever two or more legendary permanents with the same name are in play at the same time, both are put into the graveyard as a state-based effect.

And if you look at, say, my Sonic card (RFP n00b), it says "You can't play Sonic the Hedgehog ... if another card named Sonic the Hedgehog is in play."

CF has some decent ideas. I was considering a similar effect, but maybe lifting the character restriction on Light Shoes/Air Necklace, because otherwise they'd be virtually useless. (Also: Ancient Light gives light attack, not light shoes.)  Additionally, they'll probably just be permanent effects. Chaos Powers are something to consider too. (I like your concept for Chaos Emeralds too. I might tweak it a little bit, but 'tis cool.) :D

I also had a slightly different idea for Shadow that I was going to implement. It probably was going to involve Chaos Control rather than Chaos Blast though; otherwise, it's pretty close to Gamma.

RPG: srsly I want the game to be balanced not insanely stupid. >_>

Also I'm going to post what I've worked out so far as for rules/gameplay:

---

Object: Get one of your characters/robots to the capsule (your opponent)! Get one of your characters all the way across the board, amidst your opponent's obstacles and his own characters, while stopping your opponent from doing the same!

Alternately: If you run out of cards in your deck, you lose. This is called "Time Over."

CARD TYPES:
CHARACTER (Tentative  name) - Contains not only mainstream characters but also animals and robots that either defend your capsule or attack your opponent. Character cards have the following stats:
-Cost: How many rings you must spend for it to come into play.
-Speed: How many tiles a character can move in one turn. Note: A character can't move the turn it comes into play.
-Ring: How many rings a character gains each turn it's in play. Rings prevent a character from being sent to the Scrap Heap when hit. If a character with rings is attacked, it loses all of its rings. If it's attacked with no rings, it dies and is sent to the Scrap Heap. (Note: A character doesn't gain rings if it attacks during its turn.)
-Abilities: Any abilities the character has, if any. For example, Sonic can't be put into play if you have any robots in play. Tails can avoid attacks occasionally by flying.
-Recollect: If a character doesn't move the turn after it's hit, this is the maximum number of rings it can recollect after losing them.
-Difficulty: How hard it is to destroy a character. See below.
-Type: What kind of character the card is. For example, it could be a Hero, Animal, Robot, or almost anything else.

EFFECT - Cards that give an effect to a character (yours or your opponent's) or a set of tiles on the board. The card always tells what it does here. For example, shields protect your character's rings from one hit. Effect cards have the following stats:
-Effect: What the Effect card does.

OBSTACLE - A card that you can play on your opponent's turn to stop an opposing character's progress. Spikes, loops, and pitfalls fall under this category. Obstacle cards have the following stats:
-Effect: What the Obstacle card does.

BOSS - A special type of card that you can only have in your deck if you have lost a game during a match. A boss blocks the opponent from getting to you and can attack characters, but it can't move. If a Boss card is destroyed by an attack, you lose the game. A player can't have more than one boss card in play at any time. Boss cards have the following stats:
-Armor: How many times a boss must be attacked before it is destroyed.
-Effects: Any special effects that the Boss card has, if any.

GAME STRUCTURE
1. Flip a coin to see who goes first.
2. Each player gains 5 Rings.
3. Each player draws 6 cards from their deck to form their hand. If a player doesn't like his or her hand, they may pay one ring to get a new hand (of 6 cards). Remember, there aren't many cards you can play that cost 0 rings!
4. Begin the game. For each player's first turn, they don't gain any rings.
5. The player whose turn it is draws a card.
6. The player whose turn it is may spend rings to play Character, Effect, and Boss cards.
7. The player whose turn it is may move any or all of his or her Characters in play a number of tiles equal to its speed. (A character can't move if it just came into play!) (NOTE: If another character is blocking its way, the moving character must stop and attack it. It can't move after attacking.)
8. If two characters are in the same tile, they attack each other.
   - Roll a 6-sided die. If the attacker's roll is greater than the defender's Difficulty, the attacker is considered hit (see below). Both players do this for each Character being attacked.
   - If the roll is less than the defender's difficulty, the attack fails and that character loses all its rings. It then must go back one tile. (If it has no rings before it attacked, put it in the Scrap Heap instead.) If a character is hit, it also loses all its rings and goes back one tile. (It goes to the Scrap Heap instead if it already had no rings.)
9. The player whose turn it is gains 2 rings plus one ring for each character that player has in play. (This doesn't happen on a player's first turn.)
10.If the player whose turn it is has more than 6 cards in his or her hand, that player must discard cards until he or she has 6 cards in hand.
11.The turn passes to the next player.
12. Repeat Steps 5-11 until a character reaches an opponent's Capsule (deck).
13. The player whose capsule was reached may add Boss cards to his or her deck (and may replace other cards in his or her deck with them).
14. Repeat steps 2-13 until a player has won 2 games. That player wins the match. (Whomever lost the last game goes first.)
15. If a player wins 2 games, they win the match!

---

More cards/more input is appreciated. Again I'm probably considering adding Chaos Powers. I just need to twist things around and turn them into rule-ish things. :o

I like the lol value of Froggy. >_>

I'd probably lift the play restrictions on Chaos/Chaos6/Froggy/SuperSonic though. (At least change Super Sonic's.)

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2006, 02:50:56 pm »
srsly what is wrong with my cards >_>

eh maybe Ill just bounce some idea's for y'all to turn into cards

Marble Zone fireballs
Rails
Gravity Switches

More as they come to mind or something

Offline CosmicFalcon

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2006, 03:32:32 pm »
MtG current rules: Whenever two or more legendary permanents with the same name are in play at the same time, both are put into the graveyard as a state-based effect.

And if you look at, say, my Sonic card (RFP n00b), it says "You can't play Sonic the Hedgehog ... if another card named Sonic the Hedgehog is in play."

Is that the MtG ruling? I thought only one went to the graveyard...

Anyway, my point WAS that you could make that rules text more concise if you had a ruling whereby cards like Sonic had a 'Unique Character' card type or something along those lines. Ergo I did RFP. n00b.

RFP = Read First Post right.

(Also: Ancient Light gives light attack, not light shoes.)

Er... I knew that... except... you are forgetting... Sonic Adventure? Where Light Shoes give light dash and light attack? Or is it Ancient Light in that as well?

Chaos Powers are something to consider too. (I like your concept for Chaos Emeralds too. I might tweak it a little bit, but 'tis cool.) :D

Yeah my Chaos Emeralds idea was just random bizarreness. As in since modern Sonic with all this plotline bizarrities it is like constant fight over who has them. You could implement some system where the 7 Chaos Emeralds aren't owned by any player at the start of the game... but then you're making them like compulsory components, which they really don't need to be.

Ok I shall ramble up some more cards as in why not.

Name: Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik
Type: Character (Villain)
Speed: 1
Recollect: 6
Abilities: Once each turn you may put a Robot Character from your hand into play for no cost, as long as that card's cost is equal to or less than the number of rings Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik has.

Name: ?-Ring Capsule
Cost: ()*
Effect: Roll a 6-sided die. Ring Capsule costs that amount to play. If you rolled a 1, target Character gains 1 ring. If you rolled a 2, target Character gains 5 rings. If you rolled a 3, target Character gains 10 rings. If you rolled a 4, target Character gains 20 rings. If you rolled a 5, target Character gains 30 rings. If you rolled a 6, target Character gains 50 rings.

Yeah, so there shouldn't be a 30-rings (right?)... but there are six sides to a die. D:

Name: Collapsing Bridge
Effect: Play this card after or while your opponent moves target Character. Roll a 6-sided die. If you roll greater than target Character's speed, move target Character back to where it was at the start of this turn. Target Character may not move again this turn.

Name: Lamppost
Cost: ()4
Effect: Attach Lamppost to a tile occupied by target Character you control. If target Character would be sent to the Scrap Heap, move it to the tile you attached Lamppost to instead. Then, send Lamppost to the Scrap Heap. Target Character has no rings.

Uh-oh... I just typed Creature and had to replace it with Character... no time to proof read, if you see MtG lingo in my post, you probably know what I am talking about~~~

And one for laughs...

Name: Electric Guitar
Effect: Target Sonic the Hedgehog card strums Electric Guitar. People start bitching about Sonic Underground and whether or not it sucks. The majority vote that it does, and also vote that you lose the game.

This needs an Unglued expansion.
"A graph of cf's coolness as age increases would be exponential." - Stefan [14:26, 2008/08/23]
"I now realise that CF is complete and utter win." - Cruizer [13:46, 2009/10/23]

Offline SadisticMystic

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2006, 04:02:58 pm »
The legend rule used to be that the oldest one stayed in play and the rest died, but that changed with Kamigawa block so that now all of them die.  It was the change of rule that allowed them to start costing legendary creatures more aggressively from that point on.  Looks like the rule being opted for here works like it did in Decipher's Star Wars CCG.

Ancient Light is indeed a separate item in SA as well.  Note that it's right next to the monkey you have to use it on in order to open the entrance to Red Mountain.

Rush-style random rings (1-5-10-30-50) would only use up 5 sides, but you can always go Adventure-style which has 1-5-10-15-20-40 for a convenient total of 6.  How overpowering do you expect +40 rings to be?  If it goes that way, this card would provide a mean gain of 15.16 rings--is that too much for a single card?

Offline CosmicFalcon

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2006, 04:28:09 pm »
Ancient Light is indeed a separate item in SA as well.  Note that it's right next to the monkey you have to use it on in order to open the entrance to Red Mountain.

I should like... play these games again sometime.

As for the rings... perhaps roll a 6-sided die twice or thrice to find a ring total. That gives a max of 18, a minimum of 3... and an average of 10.5?

Then again... does anything in the game cause a ring loss on a character other than total ring loss?

Offline KnucklesSonic8

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2006, 04:40:18 pm »
Some ideas for cards (you can place them anywhere you see fit):
[Don't know if any of these were suggested already but...]

Gemerl
Emerl
Phi
Cheese
Eggrobo
Tails Doll
Metal Knux
Wave
Jet
Storm
E-10000G
E-10000R
NiGHTS
Aiai/Ulala/Billy Hatcher (Probably not but could be since they are SEGA characters; don't know if you're targeting just/mainly Sonic characters or other SEGA characters as well)
Vanilla
Fang the Sniper
Bean
Polar
Espio
Vector
Charmy
Characters from Sonic X (i.e, Cosmo, Metarex ?)
King Boom Boo
Chocola Chao
Mephiles (?)
Flicky
E-Series Robots (i.e, Zero, Beta, Delta, Epsilon, Gamma, Omega, Zeta, Beta v.2 -> Kai)
Chao
Lumina
Void
Babylon Guardian
Egg Golem
Eggman Nega
Omochao
Tikal
Blaze
Black Arms (?)
Big
Silver
Princess Elise (? - Probably not but just throwing this out there.)
G.U.N (Soldier?)
Black Doom
Biolizard

The Tornado
The Tornado II
The X Tornado (Sonic X)
Extreme Gear (Can be effect cards that can enhance speed, defense or other; e.g, boards, skates, bikes)
Star Post/Checkpoint (If you get Time Over; you can start again with half/all health/rings)

« Last Edit: October 08, 2006, 05:04:39 pm by knuckles_sonic8 »
Wiiloveit

• win8 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2006, 05:29:54 pm »
I read the first post, but am just now coming up with some thoughts.

Would it be too complicated to make the game grid based and place hazards before the game began? I assumed it was grid based when I first read it, but upon reading your latest post, I realized that, in fact, it was not.

Could we remove the limit on how many characters can be played at a given time? Some may complain that it takes away the perfectly viable option of using meat shields to stall the other player out. I, of course, am among them, enjoying the strategy of clogging up everyone else. To prevent this, and see my first idea, we could make it so it's not just a linear path (Sonic games are not).

Do we really want cards restricting when a character can be played? That Sonic can't be played when any robotic units are in play strikes me as meh. It would come down to who could spam the most low-level cards to prevent powerful cards like Sonic or Chaos being played. Oh, and Sonic only being playable without robots makes Eggman overpowered.

How would we carry out games? Would we use a bot on IRC, or impliment over the forums/in some part of TSC4? Just something to think about.

And I'll arbitrarily mention special stages. Maybe when passing the lamp post with more than 50 rings, you get x ammount of rings from a special stage? Or maybe you get to restock your deck and lose all your rings?

Oh, and I don't think having too many rings will be in issue. If anything, I think the player will wind up with too few. Regardless, we could always balance out high ring intake with moves costing more rings, and vice versa. That's why I added the Super Flash/Charge. Though now I'll just change it so that the number on the die is multiplied by 5, or you roll two die which are multiplied by two. I'll work on it.

Anyways, enough setting the rules for the game. Why do that when you can produce more cards?

Name: Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Type:Effect
Effect: Carpal Tunnel Syndrome can be played at any time after turn 5. Your opponent can not play or move any cards for two turns.

Name:Teleportation
Rarity:Rare
Effect: Select one of your characters, and another of your opponent's characters. Those two characters will swap places.

Name:Spindash
Cost:()1
Effect:At the beggining of a character's turn, play the spindash card. For that turn, that character will move 2 extra tiles, and not be affected by any wall hazards.

Name:Team Breaker
Cost:()300
Effect:You and your opponent swap decks. Any characters or cards named "Team Breaker" are discarded. In the event that no characters are in a given player's hand, that player loses.

Name:Retractable wall
Type:Obstacle
Effect:When a character reaches a retractable wall, they must flip a coin. If heads, they may continue on their path unobstructed; if tails, they must either wait until next turn to act, or play the card named "Switch".

Name:Switch
Effect: Nullifies the effect of all wall hazards.

Name:Old Man
Cost:()20
Effect: Only characters or bosses present in the game Sonic Adventure (E-102, Tails, Eggman, Sonic, Amy, Big, Froggy, Chaos, etc.) may be played. If any characters not in Sonic Adventure are on the field, they must be replaced by another in your deck. If you do not have any characters from Sonic Adventure, you must take one from your opponent's deck. If your opponent has no characters from Sonic Adventure in their deck, you lose. If neither player has characters in their deck from Sonic Adventure, then they may draw one from the pile*.

*How about adding a community pile where some cards allow you to draw...more cards?

Name:Team Sonic
Rarity:UltraRare
Cost:()100
Speed:6
Difficulty:15*
Recollect:15*
Effect:If the cards named "Sonic", "Knuckles", and "Tails" are in play, regardless of owner, the card named "Team Sonic" may be played, at which point the cards named "Sonic", "Knuckles", and "Tails" are discarded. Team Sonic is only affected by wall and water hazards. When crossing a water tile, Team Sonic will drown after two drown tokens. When Team Sonic is being attacked, the opposing player rolls three dice instead of one, and takes the combined total. Team Sonic may choose to "fly" over 3 tiles for 20 rings, during which time they cannot be attacked or affected by water tiles. When Team Sonic has over 50 rings, they may use the special ability "Blue Lightning", which destroys all characters of a lesser difficulty within 3 tiles.

*Given totals for a characterx3

Name:Spam
Rarity:Rare (If only...)
Cost:()50
Effect: When attacking an opponent's character, you may play the "Spam" card, allowing you to roll double the ammount suggested on the card. After the card "Spam" is played, it is placed in your opponent's deck.

Name: Space
Effect: When in space, a character must either attack another character or be on another obstacle or boss, unless in super or final form*. If they are not, then that character is sent to the scrap heap or lamppost, depending on the circumstance.

*Maybe we could impliment something where collecting more emeralds turns a character super? Kind of like my Super Sonic card?

Name:BALEETED
Cost:()150 rings
Effect: You may remove all the obstacles on a given tile.

I am either wrecking this game or improving it...I can't tell. Thoughts?

I HOPE YOU DO

Offline Spinballwizard

• TSC Purist
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • That's enough of that.
    • View Profile
    • WSBW GameCenter
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2006, 11:38:53 am »
Rush-style random rings (1-5-10-30-50) would only use up 5 sides, but you can always go Adventure-style which has 1-5-10-15-20-40 for a convenient total of 6.  How overpowering do you expect +40 rings to be?  If it goes that way, this card would provide a mean gain of 15.16 rings--is that too much for a single card?
I'm still working out how ring costs are going to work. It's quite possible that a lot of them might go up.

Genus: Sonic only can't be played when YOU have any robots. Your opponent could have 10,000 robots in play if he wanted (though how that's feasible I have no idea), and you could still play Sonic. (Your newest ones... I'd say were decent down to switch.)

The flavor behind that is the fact that Sonic basically smashes robots, so it wouldn't make sense to have robots on the team -with- him.

Tails doesn't have this restriction because he works with machines, and Knuckles doesn't have it because he's a little gullible and occasionally shifts sides. Well, maybe more than a little gullible. :)

(Pst Sonic X ew. Oh and KS8 I already made Gamma.)

Games could be done in a multitude of ways, no IRC bots needed. I know when SCD was talking about some silly thing that blew up that SM mentioned GCCG, which could be customizable that way. (I'm a bit fuzzy on the details; maybe SM could elaborate.)

Offline KnucklesSonic8

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2006, 11:46:12 am »
Regarding what genus said about playing it, maybe we should do it like over the Forums when this whole thing gets established. But, it's just a thought.
Wiiloveit

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2006, 12:04:32 pm »
That'd take an insanely long time.

Offline KnucklesSonic8

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2006, 12:36:29 pm »
That'd take an insanely long time.

Yeah it would. ROTFL. :P

Like genus said, I'm sure the Chat or whatever he said is always an option I guess. I wonder how else we would do it... :S
Wiiloveit

Offline Spinballwizard

• TSC Purist
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • That's enough of that.
    • View Profile
    • WSBW GameCenter
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2006, 10:32:02 pm »
GCCG's probably the safest (and likely easiest) bet, since I'm pretty sure getting things to work in there (as far as deck construction and card display are concerned) would be a lot easier than programming a bot in IRC. That'd just be a bitch.

* Spinballwizard would appreciate SM chiming in here since he probably knows GCCG more than I do.

• win8 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2006, 01:52:18 am »
Completely ignoring what spinny said, here come more cards.

Name:Insomnia
Effect: After the card named "Insomnia" is played, you may take two more turns. During those turns, you may not play the card named "insomnia" and any characters in the playing field have their speed reduced by one, and their recollect by 5.

Name:Crash
Effect: After the card named "Crash" is played, your opponent will take an extra turn. When it is your turn, all your characters in the playing field will have their speed increased by 3 and their recollect by 10.

Name:Floor Glitch
Cost:()400
Effect: Choose a tile. Any character crossing that tile must be sent to the scrap heap, or the last tile they used the card named "Lamp Post" on.

Name:Rehash
Effect: Choose one of your opponent's characters and roll a dice. Reduce that character's stats by that number. If any stat is less than one after the reduction, than that stat is reduced to one.

Name:Proffessor Gerald
Difficulty:1
Effect:The card named "Proffesor Gerald" can not be played if the cards named "Proffessor Gerald", "Chaos", "Big", "Froggy", or "Metal Ooze" are in play. For 50 rings, Proffessor Gerald can deploy the card named "Artificial Chaos", which is considered a robot. For 300 rings, Proffessor Gerald can deploy the card named "Artificial Chaos 1001", which is also considered a robot. For 500 rings, Proffessor Gerald can initiate the attack named "DoomsDay", which destroys all characters on the playing field in 10 turns.

Name:Artificial Chaos
Difficulty:3
Effect: The card named "Artificial Chaos" is only affected by wall hazards. When in water, the card named "Artificial Chaos" loses no speed and can have no drown tokens placed on it. For 10 rings, Artificial Chaos can use Quickstrike, which depletes any character within 1 tile of all rings.

Name:Artificial Chaos 1001
Movement:1
Recollect:100
Difficulty:2,0
Effect: The card named "Artificial Chaos 1001" is only affected by wall hazards. When in water, Artificial Chaos 1001 loses no speed and can have no drown tokens placed on it. For 300 rings, Artificial Chaos 1001 can use the move Multiply, which creates another card named "Artificial Chaos 1001". When being attacked, the attacking player must roll the dice 2 times. If the first roll is greater than 2, the card named "Artificial Chaos 1001" is discarded. Multiply the roll times 10, and multiply the result from recollect to determine the recollect for Artificial Chaos 1001 is still in play. If the recollect is less than 10 after the reduction, the card named "Artificial Chaos 1001" is discarded.

Name:Research Plans
Effect: If the card named "Proffessor Gerald" is in play, discard the cards named "Research Plans" and "Proffessor Gerald, and play the card named "BioLizard". If the card named "Dr. Robotnik" is in play, discard the cards named "Research Plans" and "Dr. Robotnik", and play the card named "Chaos" for no cost. If the card named "Shadow the Hedgehog" is in play, discard the cards named "Research Plans", and play the card named "Eclipse Cannon". If the cards named "Proffessor Gerald" and "Dr. Robotnik" are in play at the same time, play the card named "Shadow the Hedgehog" for no cost. If the cards named "Professor Gerald", "Dr. Robotnik", and "Shadow the Hedgehog" are all in play, play the card named "Shadow Android".

Name:Eclipse Cannon
Effect: Every 10 turns, the Eclipse Cannon will attack. All characters not in space are affected. For every card named "Chaos Emerald" put into play, 1 is added to the roll of the attack. If the card named "Fake Emerald" is put into play, all characters in space are attacked and the cards named "Eclipse Cannon" and "Fake Emerald" are discarded.

Name:Fake Emerald
Effect: If the card named "Tails" or "Chaos" is in play, discard the cards named "Tails", "Chaos", and "Fake Emerald". If the card named "Sonic the Hedgehog" is in play, he is granted the ability of the card named "Chaos Control"*, and the card named "Fake Emerald" is discarded.

*I assume we are doing emerald powers?

Name:BioLizard
Speed:0
Difficulty:10
Effect: If the card named "BioLizard" is put into play, and the card named "Shadow the Hedgehog" is not in play, your opponent may play the card named "Shadow the Hedgehog" for free. Biolizard can be placed on any tile in space. BioLizard can attack characters from 3 tiles away. For 50 rings, BioLizard can use the attack "Tail Slap", which sends any character within 1 tile back 3 tiles, playing the obstacles on that tile as though that character had landed on it normally. For 10 rings, BioLizard can use the attack Lift, which prevents any character within 1 tile from moving on their turn. When BioLizard uses Lift, its difficulty is reduced to 3. If BioLizard is defeated, discard Biolizard and play the card "FinalHazard".

Name:FinalHazard
Speed:10
Effect: If the card named "FinalHazard" is played, your opponent may play the cards named "Super Shadow" or "Super Sonic" for free. FinalHazard is considered to be flying at all times, and is affected by no hazards. Only characters in super or final form are able to attack FinalHazard. When FinalHazard is being attacked, 4 dice are rolled, and the combined total put forth as the attack number. For 100 rings, FinalHazard can use Forcefield, which grants it invulnerability for one turn, though no special moves may be moved during this time and FinalHazard may not move.  For 500 rings, FinalHazard can use the attack "DoomsDay", which destroys all characters on the playing field in 10 turns. For 1000 rings, FinalHazard can use the move Impact, which discards all characters, bosses, and obstacles not in space.

Not bad for now. In case you hadn't figured it out, I like cumulative effects in card games. Of course, I took a page from Baten Kaitos' Book, but what's the harm there?

For now, we have SA and SA2 partially covered. We also have the basic teamsets built: the early game style team, the late game style team, and the defender style team. Of course, there are subsets to these, but almost all play styles fall under one of those categories.

Oh and of course...thoughts?

I HOPE YOU DO

Offline SadisticMystic

« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2006, 02:27:08 am »
Those cards are stretching the boundaries of what can fit, and it seems like they're trying too hard to get the game to adhere to a specific storyline.  If you want a specific storyline, you can go read a book or something; you generally wouldn't use a dynamic TCG for that purpose.

GCCG's manual has a section that tells you how to implement your own games.

Offline Spinballwizard

• TSC Purist
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • That's enough of that.
    • View Profile
    • WSBW GameCenter
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2006, 12:46:43 pm »
Genus: never assume. You know what happens when you assume.

Referencing other cards isn't the best thing either. Maybe types of cards (i.e. Sonic and the Robots thing). Allow me to give a slight reconstruction of Biolizard that I think would be better for the game:

Name: Biolizard
Cost: ()8
Armor: 6
Effects: Whenever Biolizard is attacked, the attacker's player rolls a die. If they roll 4 or greater, Biolizard is not attacked and the attacking character is considered hit. Ignore this effect if a character only moved in tiles adjacent to Biolizard during the last turn.

Again, I think I am going to have to rework the costs. SM brought up a good point with the random ring boxes; if you end up with 40 rings from one, you could basically drop your hand right there, the way I have things in my head right now. Expect things to change once I have time to work on them again.

• win8 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2006, 03:29:03 pm »
The ring costs are absurd because these are supposed to be the absolute end all finishing moves. It's possible to put in several ring leeching cards (like the Artificial Chaos 1001) and slowly wait for rings to accrue, during which time you are open to attack; conversely, deploying many lower level characters can lead to a strong start, but a weak late game. This way, the game maintains balance. It is possible to, say, abuse ring gathering cards by deploying many weaker cards, and that's why the slow-and-steady strategy gets these all powerful moves. For example, look at FinalHazards Impact; discarding every card in play that is not in a certain type of hazard forces everyone to start over with their deck, which proves problematic to a quick-and-cheap player. There is also the Team Breaker card, to give strategy the upper hand against stacking decks. Of course these are hardly consistant to my "Old Man" card, but eh.

As for the intercard relationship, I am a fan, or rather made one by Baten Kaitos. A weak card can become a powerful force (like the Froggy and Chaos cards), which plays to balancing your deck with good synergistic effects as opposed to initially strong lineups, and adds to the fun and/or teethpulling. Of course, playing a powerful card on your side tends to give your opponent options too, with two of the "Legendaries" I've made so far (Perfect Chaos and FinalHazard).

Or maybe I should just stick to obstacles/bosses/effect cards because the consensus is that my character cards are bad? Assuming the latter to be true, more cards.

Name:CeaseFire
Effect: For the next three turns, no more cards may be played.

Name:Vertical Spring
Effect: If landed on, the character moves 2 additional tiles.

Name:Horizontal Spring
Effect: Flip a coin. If heads, landing on the horizontal spring will cause the character to move forward 3 tiles. If tails, landing on the horizontal spring will cause the character to move back 3 tiles. In the event that moving 3 tiles in either direction causes the character to land on a spring facing the opposite direction, the character must begin their turn at the spring they started at and either play the cards named "Jump" or "Stop".

Name:Stop
Effect:Choose one character on your team. That character will move 1 less tile for that turn.

Name:Jump
Effect: Choose one character on your team. That character will avoid any hazards for that turn.

Name:Falling Spikes
Effect: If a character passes the card named "Falling Spikes" with less than 3 spaces to move, that character is considered hit.

Name:Slot Machine
Cost:()50
Effect: Pick a character and roll a die. If 1 is rolled, collect 20 rings. If 2 is rolled, that character is considered hit. If 3 is rolled, that character is considered hit. If 4 is rolled, that character is considered hit. If 5 is rolled, that character receives 50 rings. If 6 is rolled, that character receives 100 rings.

Name: Moving Floor
Effect: Choose a tile. When a character reaches that tile they must end their turn, and on the next move 2 tiles forward.

Name:Flood
Effect: For 5 turns, the playing field is considered underwater.

Now, someone think of clever ways to abuse my latest cards, such as Flood+Froggy.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 04:33:43 pm by genus »

I HOPE YOU DO

Print

Hits: 880 | Hits This Month: 7 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.29 MB | Time: 0.10s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.