don't click here

And on the Wii side of things... (updated)

Print

Author Topic: And on the Wii side of things... (updated)  (Read 10299 times)

Offline Rolken

And on the Wii side of things... (updated)
« on: September 29, 2006, 08:53:42 am »
This article on Sonic and the Secret Rings (ugh) is about a week old, but I hadn't seen it so maybe some others haven't either. Some interesting snippets (now updated from other articles):

- 70 missions with "boss battles mixed in" (so probably 15-20 levels)
- Single player mode and 30 4-player minigames (think Super Monkey Ball)
- "Sonic customization system" similar to PSO3, apparently "a little bit more complicated than an RPG"
-  Dev team slightly smaller than Sonic 06, since developing for only one console
- Short levels (3-4min), roughly 10 hours to completion

The article has a lot more details; I recommend it.
StH JJ1 WkS+ Sal++^i Rbk++i Knu- McS+++ P++ D[af]opw $++++ E03 A24 GM CoUT
What fun is it being cool if you can't wear a sombrero?

Offline Shadow Jacky

• -Proprietor of /d/-
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • BEHOLD!
    • View Profile
    • I streams when on windows
Re: And on the Wii side of things...
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006, 11:36:17 am »
for some reason 1up doesn't want to load, but from those snippets...I'm losing hope fast.
my name has nothing to do with Shadow The Hedgehog

Completed Runs:
Sonic Heroes: Team Sonic: SS
Rocket Knight Adventures: Easy (US): SS

In the Future:
Aero The Acrobat (Genesis) | More...

Offline KnucklesSonic8

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 03:31:02 pm »
Yeah, I saw a similar article. Unfortunately, I hear the game would be compeleted in a (quoting from article I saw) "measly 10 hours" or so.

That's a bummer...

But the mini-games and time possibilities are a bonus! Regardless, I'm still getting it. :D
Wiiloveit

Current Competition Focus: ---
Wants S&S All-Stars Racing

Offline Groudon

• 1 hour, 39 minutes, 52 seconds
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Groudon199
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006, 03:35:10 pm »
Regardless, I'm still getting it. :D

Same here.

Offline KnucklesSonic8

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2006, 04:27:24 pm »
I know it's in French but this article is actually an interview relating to the game: http://www.gamekult.com/articles/A0000051320/. Further down, it reveals that 8 players will be playable in Multiplayer games! I can translate the rest and edit it here.

EDIT:
Questions in context (paraphrasing) ask:

-What's it like developing a game for the Wii?
-How does Sonic and the Secret Rings work, exactly? (controls)
-Isn't this kinda simple?
-Given the apparent simplicity of the game, how long do you think the game will last?
-Is this because of previous games in the series; will other characters will be playable?
-Will online capabilities be possible?

EDIT 2:
Interesting points of the interview:

-Implemented 30 mini-games
-4 simultaneous multiplayer capabilities that will use frequent usages of the... controller (?)
-One mini-game involves players choosing a chest (said trunk in translation but I don't think that's what they meant. :P), stirring it in all directions it directs to get the item it contains (something along those lines).
-About ten hours to complete
-70 Missions
-Quite a few unlockables for eager gamers; gamers can try to attain high scores and times; gamers can discover hidden items and other secret bonuses (Personal thought: wonder if special stage will be implemented? That would be so cool!)
-Made the game simplistic to minimize complicated maneuvers (all of you can easily recall Riders' control mechanism; personally, had no problem with it but a lot of you did) giving it a mixture between a RACE game and an ACTION game.
-Like I said above, there are 8 possible/different "heroes" in/for the mini-games
-If time allows, would like to feature some kind of Wi-Fi connection/online capabilities
« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 04:38:07 pm by knuckles_sonic8 »
Wiiloveit

Offline PsyBorg

• The Whateverman
  • TSC Profile
  • macosx safari
  • the fine young doctor is headed this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2006, 07:10:22 pm »
Well, this may sound strange to some, but I think this has fabulous potential. I don't care about missions being "short" or that there aren't enough of them. They sound like something that will definitely be on our ranking list, and something I will guarantee you I will compete in, no matter how much I end up sucking.

This game only gets more and more strangely interesting by the second...
This signature was typed on a #@^%ING COMPUTER. Copy and paste this into your signature if you hate Sony and / or Bidoofs.

Offline Groudon

• 1 hour, 39 minutes, 52 seconds
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Groudon199
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2006, 07:16:13 pm »
-70 Missions

If that doesn't include bosses, the total missions and bosses will be more than Shadow, but a lot less than Heroes (and a hell of a lot less than SA2), and if it includes bosses, it'll be just 3 less than Shadow (when The Last Way and Devil Doom are included).

Offline KnucklesSonic8

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2006, 08:07:00 pm »
Well, this may sound strange to some, but I think this has fabulous potential. I don't care about missions being "short" or that there aren't enough of them. They sound like something that will definitely be on our ranking list, and something I will guarantee you I will compete in, no matter how much I end up sucking.

This game only gets more and more strangely interesting by the second...

I couldn't agree more! This definitely should be added to the site once divisions have been discussed. (Same with Next-Gen but that's another story... :P)

I also don't care about how "short" the game appears to be; the game will be great especially with the inclusion of the mini-games and 4 Player Support. I'm definitely getting it after I get the Wii.
Wiiloveit

Offline General Throatstomper

• I can't think of anything witty :(
  • TSC: blueblaze
  • win8 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2006, 09:30:59 pm »
Well I called it. Sonic and the Secret Rings has time attack.

Yeah, color me fanboy but I'm getting it at launch. It sounds like it has potential to either be a great game, or a total suckfest, though I think the first scenario to be more likely. Or rather hope. Same difference.

As for the 70 missions statement...it's better than saturating the game with several easy missions to lengthen game time (hey SA2).

Also, I really hope that Secret Rings has online functionality so that we can do crazy things online. Like play the Emo game and see who can lose the most lives.

One bad thing about Secret Rings is that it adds to the list of games I really want. Along with Metroid Prime 3, Super Mario Galaxy, and Super Smash Bros Brawl. Together, these all cost $213.96 (with a second nunchuck controller, which is pretty much mandatory for anyone who plays games with their friends, $278.14).

In other words, D:. I know what will happen. The Wii will go through a recession period where all the new games are meh, and then slam us with so many other ways to spend money and receive dissaproving looks from parents and friends.

I HOPE YOU DO

Offline KnucklesSonic8

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2006, 09:58:28 am »
One bad thing about Secret Rings is that it adds to the list of games I really want. Along with Metroid Prime 3, Super Mario Galaxy, and Super Smash Bros Brawl. Together, these all cost $213.96 (with a second nunchuck controller, which is pretty much mandatory for anyone who plays games with their friends, $278.14).

In other words, D:. I know what will happen. The Wii will go through a recession period where all the new games are meh, and then slam us with so many other ways to spend money and receive dissaproving looks from parents and friends.

Same here. I want:

Mario Galaxy
Secret Rings
Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz
Rayman Raving Rabbids
Animal Crossing Wii (*Tent.)
DK Bongo Blast
Mario Party 8
Mario Strikers Charged
Super Paper Mario

But for me, since that's a lot of money, the main ones for me are:

Mario Galaxy
Secret Rings
Monkey Ball: BB
Mario Party 8

I'm also going to raise up enough to get it upon release. I can't wait to make high-scores and whoop my friends in the mini-games (or vice versa :P).
Wiiloveit

Offline Shadow Jacky

• -Proprietor of /d/-
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • BEHOLD!
    • View Profile
    • I streams when on windows
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2006, 04:47:36 pm »
knuckles, most of the games you want most wont be out at launch...mostly next year or so.
my name has nothing to do with Shadow The Hedgehog

Completed Runs:
Sonic Heroes: Team Sonic: SS
Rocket Knight Adventures: Easy (US): SS

In the Future:
Aero The Acrobat (Genesis) | More...

Offline KnucklesSonic8

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2006, 06:05:38 pm »
I know but still, I'll still need to raise up quite a bit. I also need a Nunchuk Controller because of the family I have not to mention all the friends that will be literally pestering me to play my Wii when I get it.

BTW, what's the diff between the Wii Remote and the Nunchuk Peripheral for more than one person playing -- make sense..? :S

Forget what I said, I asked the same question on wikipedia and it got answered. Just in case others are interested, you'd be better off buying the Wii Remote if you want to play multiplayer games since most games use that as opposed to the Nunchuk where not many games, thus far, use it.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2006, 05:34:26 pm by knuckles_sonic8 »
Wiiloveit

Print

Hits: 177 | Hits This Month: 1 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.07 MB | Time: 0.15s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.