don't click here

Sonic 06 demo on Xbox Live

Print

Author Topic: Sonic 06 demo on Xbox Live  (Read 47119 times)

Offline Rolken

Sonic 06 demo on Xbox Live
« on: September 27, 2006, 09:12:09 am »
Title says it. I don't have a 360 myself to try it out, but reactions from the Penny Arcade guys are more or less that the music is good, but the gameplay is meh - basically Sonic Adventure 3. Not a big surprise, but now there's confirmation.

edit: OK, 'Sonic Adventure 3' is probably giving it too much credit. More like 'Sonic Adventure .5' or alternatively 'digital abortion', if the opinions I'm hearing are any indication. Oh well, we'll still rank it.
StH JJ1 WkS+ Sal++^i Rbk++i Knu- McS+++ P++ D[af]opw $++++ E03 A24 GM CoUT
What fun is it being cool if you can't wear a sombrero?

Offline eggFL

Re: Sonic 06 demo on Xbox Live
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 09:46:15 am »
The demo is gorgeous, but short.

ITT post your times and scores

1:12:166

Offline Groudon

• 1 hour, 39 minutes, 52 seconds
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Groudon199
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 02:37:43 pm »
I gotta get a 360.  I might not get it and Xbox Live before the demo is off, but I definitely will get a 360 before the game is released.

Offline KnucklesSonic8

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 04:17:48 pm »
If only it was coming out on the Wii.. the console I AM getting. :(
Wiiloveit

Current Competition Focus: ---
Wants S&S All-Stars Racing

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 04:21:52 pm »
Time: 1:04 something

Also after playing it, Im not impressed tbh D:
Did you not think I had a mind?

Offline Groudon

• Broseidon
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2006, 04:25:21 pm »
According to a user on GameFAQs, that's one of the earliest demos of the game, earlier than E3.

Offline magnum12

• Awesome Overlord of TMMC
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2006, 04:31:04 pm »
It doesn't make sense. Why would a pre-E3 demo to a game that's nearly finished be released when it would make better sense to release a demo of gameplay at the TGS (Tokyo Game Show) phase of development?
Ever know what its like to get pwned by a book? Sonic certainly does.

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2006, 04:34:03 pm »
The demo is gorgeous, but short.

ITT post your times and scores

1:12:166
Who'd have thought egg'd like it?  I mean he doesn't like new-school Sonic does he? >_>

I'll have to wait till I get a PS3 to give an opinion, not shelling out for a 360 and a Wii this Christmas and there's only one winner (wiinner? ok maybe not then) there.
This topic has now been officially won by me.  Never mind, you might do better next time!
www.douglasgresham.co.uk - it's in the intarwebs, it must be true!

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2006, 04:34:31 pm »
According to a user on GameFAQs

That should clear things up magnum

Offline Crowbar

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2006, 04:38:22 pm »
Even if it's an early build, the chances of them actually bothering to fix any problems, especially if (as I'm assuming), they're the same ones that have plagued the series since Sonic Aventure, are zero.

Not surprised at all.

Offline Groudon

• Broseidon
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2006, 04:56:17 pm »
Regardless, I'm still getting the game when it's released.
And hopefully the camera isn't as bad as it was in SA2.

Offline Magnezone

• Broseidon
  • TSC: SkyLights
  • win7 firefox
  • YOU CAN PROBABLY READ MY POSTS BETTER NOW
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2006, 05:41:37 pm »
Demo impressions to follow.

First, the good parts. They did think about level design a bit and made things a little bit interesting in there. Some shortcuts are really easy to take, while others, you have to be a master to look for, like homing attacking up the 'nik's on the wall. Speaking of those things, I found about a dozen different robots to fight in the entire level. They had pretty good aim too up close, unless they were the missle robots.

Also, the game looks pretty nice and has a slick interface as well. There weren't many options or anything to choose though, but that was to be expected since this is just a demo. The textures seemed diverse enough; the enviroment changes at the end of the level from the hill-esque level to the edge of a castle, and I thought that was somewhat interesting. The music was okay during the stages... I haven't found an invincibility powerup yet, so I'm wondering what that music sounds like.

Now, for the bad. There's one thing I didn't mention yet- the most important part. The controls, AKA the gameplay. I'll be honest and say this about it:

-Sonic is slow. At first. When you start picking rings/getting a higher score, you get faster. How dumb is that?!
-The homing attack has a pause on it now; it's Phantasy Star Online styled now, which means you have to wait a specific amount of time to push the button back in, or else you homing attack slower.
-The spindash is utterly useless now. Not only is it faster just to run, but you can't spindash unless you're 100% stopped now, unlike previous games, and you can't jump while you're rolling either.
-The sliding crap is annoying when I'm trying to light dash.
-The collision engine is somewhat eh.
-The camera is bogus. It immediately switches to wherever it wants now, so if you're in control and that happens, your control gets wonked up.
-Nitpicking maybe, but it's weird how the robot pieces just disappear instead of the usual fading away deal.

Good parts about the gameplay? Well, they did try to add a lot of diversity to how you can handle Sonic... but they didn't do a very good job of that. If you play the level like they wanted people to play it, there's a lot of fun to be found in this demo, and they spent a bit of time designing some of the game objects; for example, some of the glowing orbs that you homing attack can open two grinding routes if you hit it again.

Overall, this felt like a mediocre Sonic game as a result of the gameplay crap. To be honest, I think they just whipped out the buggy E3 demo and threw it on Xbox Live. Who knows, but it had the same trailer as then. Overall, I think this'll turn out around the same place as Heroes did, probably better than that since it has "a story", and a "lot of ways to play". This is definitely going to beat the crap out of Shadow the Hedgehog though, I can gurantee it.

Offline Groudon

• Broseidon
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2006, 05:56:33 pm »
-Sonic is slow. At first. When you start picking rings/getting a higher score, you get faster. How dumb is that?!
-The homing attack has a pause on it now; it's Phantasy Star Online styled now, which means you have to wait a specific amount of time to push the button back in, or else you homing attack slower.
-The spindash is utterly useless now. Not only is it faster just to run, but you can't spindash unless you're 100% stopped now, unlike previous games, and you can't jump while you're rolling either.
-The sliding crap is annoying when I'm trying to light dash.
-The collision engine is somewhat eh.
-The camera is bogus. It immediately switches to wherever it wants now, so if you're in control and that happens, your control gets wonked up.
-Nitpicking maybe, but it's weird how the robot pieces just disappear instead of the usual fading away deal.

-That's real dumb!
-I really hope that's not in the final version as well.
-Very similar to the spindash in Shadow, but you could jump as you were rolling.
-Again, similar problem in Shadow.
-Nothing to say.
-That was also a problem in Shadow when you activated a checkpoint.  Depending on where the camera was when you activated one, the camera would just instantly jerk forward, which would ruin your speed.
-*gasp* It's like Sonic's in the Twilight Zone!

Anyway, those things I mentioned are based on facts from past Sonic games and what you said, since I don't have a 360.

Offline KnucklesSonic8

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2006, 06:02:56 pm »
Thanks for the coverage; at least I'm not TOTALLY out of the loop for not having a 360. :P
Wiiloveit

Offline Magnezone

• Broseidon
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2006, 06:11:01 pm »
No problemo. :P

Also, I got 0'59'850 on the demo level 8D

Offline Groudon

• Broseidon
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2006, 06:14:25 pm »
Could someone who can record & upload videos and has played the demo show a video of what the demo level is like?

Offline KnucklesSonic8

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2006, 06:20:47 pm »
You read my mind!!

And P.S, at least now I know that the time's are recorded very specifically - this will make for good competition once it appears on the site; I only hope Rivals will have time attacks for competition here at TSC (as indicated by the Dinosaur Level video I saw for Secret Rings, I think TA is possible for that game :D).
Wiiloveit

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2006, 06:24:52 pm »
I concur wholeheartedly on the 'Sonic is slow' things.

Also it would've been nice to let us try a level with Silver as well or something but eh

Offline General Throatstomper

• I can't think of anything witty :(
  • TSC: blueblaze
  • win8 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2006, 06:28:32 pm »
Rivals doesn't seem like it will have many competitors. I mean, it's on the PSP. And I don't think anyone here has 1. Or maybe like 2 people do. And time to move on.

Well hey, at least there's nothing surprising about it. Some of the common complaints...are what we've been hearing for months. At least Sonic Team is consistant. Though I must say, I thought the game had promise at first. Until it became clear that it was absolute crap.

And the E3 build theory sounds like it's designed to make people think that the game is better than the demo. Was it on a pro-PS3/360 (speaking of which my avatar is great amirite) board? Maybe from the people who liked Shadow? I call b(ia)s.

Anyways, there's always Secret of the Rings :/

I HOPE YOU DO

Offline Magnezone

• Broseidon
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2006, 07:09:11 pm »
0'55'455 now

Offline KnucklesSonic8

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2006, 07:12:13 pm »
Funny you should say that...

(Refers to "Competition Suggestions" topic)
Lol. Just kidding.

But seriously, I didn't check if a lot of people had a PSP, I'm more concerned of whether or not Times will be incorporated that could eb considered competition-worthy but let's get off this topic as you said.

I hope Secret Rings will be a great game too cause I'm hoping to get it and seems like a good game. But if I had the opportunity to get a 360, I'd rent it just to try this.
Wiiloveit

Offline Shadow Jacky

• -Proprietor of /d/-
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • BEHOLD!
    • View Profile
    • I streams when on windows
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2006, 10:48:29 pm »
man, and by the looks (with my eyes!) of this game I thought they were going with a good pace.  Well I guess since they still have Shadow doing stupid things from Shadow and Silver with no reticle at all for his telepathic powers (when he wants to throw something)...goodness the things that should be put in dont.  And they still haven't put the light dash for a separate button of its own!  Do they not realize how many people get screwed from having to time that mess so they wont slide into oblivion (if the path is over a pit....which is 90% of the time for specific dashes).

Both of these next-gen sonic games are showing me nothing I want out of them....but I bet I would still find a way to play these for what they are.
my name has nothing to do with Shadow The Hedgehog

Completed Runs:
Sonic Heroes: Team Sonic: SS
Rocket Knight Adventures: Easy (US): SS

In the Future:
Aero The Acrobat (Genesis) | More...

Offline Rolken

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2006, 02:13:29 am »
Here's a YouTube video of someone playing.

Offline Groudon

• Broseidon
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2006, 02:56:23 pm »
I noticed in the video that Sonic Team might be keeping the Shadow-style ring loss, where if you get hit, you lose some rings, but not all.

Offline KnucklesSonic8

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2006, 03:34:04 pm »
I noticed in the video that Sonic Team might be keeping the Shadow-style ring loss, where if you get hit, you lose some rings, but not all.

Yeah, I noticed that too, even before the video. As you can tell, this is also the case in Secret Rings. They may implement this into Rivals and future games as well but I may be strecthing it a lil'.
Wiiloveit

Offline Shadow Jacky

• -Proprietor of /d/-
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • BEHOLD!
    • View Profile
    • I streams when on windows
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2006, 09:11:17 pm »
I really hope that wasn't the entire stage and instead did like with Heroes (but even with seaside hill, it was the entire stage for sonic)

anywho, some things stook out and I feel more paths can and should have been implemented instead of such linear paths but with some form of change (OMG, instead of hitting the ramp and flying to that platform, I can use the rails to get more rings and end up in the exact same spot!) yeah, even SA1 does this and its the most linear of the 3-D games.

Although I cant help but see that in some spots the camera didn't shift entirely to the direction they wanted you to take so maybe there is some hope.  other than this I want some more footage of Sonic Wii as the ones I seen didn't really do it for me to make a good judgement.
my name has nothing to do with Shadow The Hedgehog

Completed Runs:
Sonic Heroes: Team Sonic: SS
Rocket Knight Adventures: Easy (US): SS

In the Future:
Aero The Acrobat (Genesis) | More...

Offline magnum12

• Awesome Overlord of TMMC
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2006, 12:04:09 am »
Its been confirmed that the downloadable demo was at pre-E3 stages. This hands on impression of the game when it was shown at an event in Barcelona paints a different, better picture.
http://www.gamespot.com/events/x06/story.html?sid=6158924&pid=929717&tag=top_stories;title;1
Ever know what its like to get pwned by a book? Sonic certainly does.

Offline Rolken

« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2006, 06:26:11 am »
I've heard the pre-E3 argument a lot, but I'm not convinced. If you compare the HUDs in videos from various dates, you find that anything over a month old has the counters split on opposite sides of the screen, whereas the TGS/X06/XBLM demos all have the counters stacked on the left - and also, videos from X06 still have Sonic falling to his death right and left.

Who knows, maybe it is or will be fixed. But I've learned not to fill in the blanks positively anymore where Sonic Team is concerned.

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2006, 12:23:29 pm »
That reminds me

Offline KnucklesSonic8

« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2006, 03:39:09 pm »
Who knows, maybe it is or will be fixed. But I've learned not to fill in the blanks positively anymore where Sonic Team is concerned.

It's so true (unfortunately)...
Wiiloveit

Print

Hits: 1,091 | Hits This Month: 3 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.24 MB | Time: 0.12s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.