don't click here

Major news regarding the Wii.

Print

Author Topic: Major news regarding the Wii.  (Read 5896 times)

Offline magnum12

• Awesome Overlord of TMMC
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
Major news regarding the Wii.
« on: September 14, 2006, 08:44:29 pm »
The link is here for those that want to read it. http://www.gamespot.com/events/wiilaunch/story.html?sid=6157573&pid=928519
In Japan, it will cost around $213 while the US version will cost $250. Reason: The US version gets Wii Sports packaged with the system. NES downloads will cost ~$.25, SNES~ $6.80, and N64~ $8.50. Games will cost from around $41-$58.
Ever know what its like to get pwned by a book? Sonic certainly does.

Offline Marth

• The SA Player
  • TSC Profile
  • linux firefox
  • It's me! In all my polygonal glory! ^_^
    • View Profile
    • Mark's Site Thingy- 3-D graphics and game info
Re: Major news regarding the Wii.
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 08:50:31 pm »
I saw a thread with a link to the IGN article a few hours ago.
It looks pretty cool, especially about the downloadables being a decent price,
instead of over $20, like the NES Classics series was making me think.
(I knew it was possible for the prices to be good, but it wouldn't have surprised me if
Nintendo had set it as $15 for NES, $20 for SNES, and $30 for N64.)
I heard they'd be a bit more than you said, but either way, it's not bad.
(What's NES? I doubt the games will be 25 cents each! :P )
Inactive member, but still... occasionally... checks his private messages and aging (former) records in SA.

Offline Groudon

• 1 hour, 39 minutes, 52 seconds
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Groudon199
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 08:57:48 pm »
I've read that the old games could be downloaded for a cost of "Wii points."  I don't remember how many points were for what, but a 2000-point card will cost $25.  I think these points are also need to use the Opera browser.

Offline General Throatstomper

• I can't think of anything witty :(
  • TSC: blueblaze
  • win8 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 10:04:07 pm »
Wave o' Babies~

Actually, prices are higher than that. I read IGN's article, and it said that NES games would cost about $5 in Wii points, SNES around $7, and N64 around $10 (all from memory, if I'm wrong then don't go all "you're wrong"), and likely to go up. Sandwhich Genesis, TurboGrafix, and MSX where they belong between those generations and that's your price guide. Nintendo is marketing Virtual Console the wrong way. Most people are going to think something along the lines of "why pay $5 for a NES game when I can download the entire library of the NES in a few minutes for free" . Not that this would have been averted if titles were decently priced but the higher than expected price tag sure doesn't help. What Nintendo should do to redeem themselves is gurantee a certain ammount of Wii Points for every game bought; if people are on the fence between getting a game or passing on it, throwing in another title or two could be a factor in the decision.

Or Nintendo could, instead of treating this as they should, do something dumb like requiring downloaded features from WiiConnect24 be bought with Wiipoints. I mean, this is supposed to be targeted towards families and casual players. If they see "lol100wiipoints yes/no" every time they turn it on, it will scare them away.

Either way, because the lineup is both small and pricey, Virtual Console is one of the things I'm not too excited about...though my fear of what will become of wiiconnect24 is completely unrelated.

Semi-unrelated:in the event that it doesn't charge you for each update, wiiconnect24 is the best idea ever in gaming, or at least the best one for Nintendo, excluding every other time I've said something is "the best". Wii games can be altered after their release to, say, add online play for a game that would benefit from it but is lacking in that department for no real reason (coughwariowareandbannanablitzcough). The same with Gamecube games and the "wiimakes". This could also spread to DS and GBA games, which opens up endless possibilities. I mean, SM64DS online? Yeah, everyone would love that. Sonic Rush netplay? Something people would actually like. And so on. I mean, DS/Wii communication. Man.

Speaking of which, it's also possible that the DS/Wii functionality is used to make DS games go online by emulating local wireless. But that's just wishful thinking. As is most of this. But wiiconnect24 is pro because it is all possible in theory.

In other words, wiiconnect24>virtual console

I HOPE YOU DO

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 06:29:35 pm »
Advance Wars: DS online would be totally awesome <_<
Did you not think I had a mind?

Offline PsyBorg

• The Whateverman
  • TSC Profile
  • macosx safari
  • the fine young doctor is headed this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2006, 10:09:41 pm »
Advance Wars: DS online would be totally awesome <_<

I'm PsyBorg, and I have approved, double-approved, and triple-approved the previous message.
This signature was typed on a #@^%ING COMPUTER. Copy and paste this into your signature if you hate Sony and / or Bidoofs.

Offline KnucklesSonic8

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2006, 09:11:22 pm »
8.50 for N64? That's kinda ridiculous, IMO. And here I was hoping to get Banjo-Tooie on my Wii for a low price.
Wiiloveit

Current Competition Focus: ---
Wants S&S All-Stars Racing

Offline General Throatstomper

• I can't think of anything witty :(
  • TSC: blueblaze
  • win8 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2006, 10:58:22 pm »
You couldn't get it anyways. It's been confirmed by Nintendo that titles by Rare won't appear on Virtual Console.

Though even if you could, $8.50 is less than what you would pay nowadays to buy the game from a store. Most N64 games cost around $10 because cartridges are expensive to make.

And don't mention ROMs. I mean, 3D games never really emulate well.

Oh and as I type this, there's been BREAKING WII NEWS...no, not really...

I HOPE YOU DO

Offline Marth

• The SA Player
  • TSC Profile
  • linux firefox
  • It's me! In all my polygonal glory! ^_^
    • View Profile
    • Mark's Site Thingy- 3-D graphics and game info
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2006, 10:46:09 pm »
I got Banjo-Tooie a few weeks ago for $15. (Actually, my brother bought it, but I didn't mind.
I wouldn't pay that much for most games, though, nor would I pay more than that even for Banjo-Tooie.)
It was supposed to be $20, but he got them to lower the price a little.
So, yeah, $8.50 isn't bad (though it might get a little higher in Canada :( ).
At another store, N64 games are only $6, but good games almost never show up.
(If anything does show up, it's always something I already have, even if I had been
looking for that game up until a few weeks before.)

Project 64 is pretty good for 3-D games. Many earlier games, at least, work well
(especially better than on Nintendo's official emulators, like on the Zelda Collection for GCN).
Banjo-Tooie might've had glitches and slowdown, though. I can't remember.
Inactive member, but still... occasionally... checks his private messages and aging (former) records in SA.

Print

Hits: 119 | Hits This Month: 1 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.06 MB | Time: 0.07s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.