don't click here

Shadow the Hedgehog speedrun

Poll

How did you like the run?

Awesome! No wonder you're 5th in the rankings! (*****)
0 (0%)
Great job. Keep it up. (****)
0 (0%)
It was good. Could be better, though. (***)
0 (0%)
Not all that good. (**)
2 (40%)
What? You're kidding, right? It's a miracle you're 5th in the rankings... (*)
2 (40%)
kumquat
1 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: August 23, 2006, 02:54:03 pm

Print

Author Topic: Shadow the Hedgehog speedrun  (Read 9417 times)

Offline Groudon

• 1 hour, 39 minutes, 52 seconds
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Groudon199
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
Shadow the Hedgehog speedrun
« on: August 09, 2006, 02:54:03 pm »
I recently did a speedrun of this game taking path 163 (An Android's Rebellion), which is Normal all the way, then Hero on Lava Shelter, and uploaded it to youtube.  It was done in 3 parts, but in 1 consecutive run (start to finish without re-recording), so I could not edit mistakes.  Still, the times (except the 2 bosses and Lava Shelter) are orange in the rankings.
Part 1 (Westopolis, Glyphic Canyon, Prison Island)
Part 2 (Sky Troops, Iron Jungle)
Part 3 (Egg Breaker, Lava Shelter, Egg Dealer)

Be sure you read the video descriptions first.  Also, feel free to comment.
Combined time of all levels:  16:22.69
« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 04:14:45 pm by Groudon199 »

Offline Shadow Jacky

• -Proprietor of /d/-
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • BEHOLD!
    • View Profile
    • I streams when on windows
Re: Shadow the Hedgehog speedrun
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 03:51:05 pm »
....at elast I have something new to watch.  I'll check it out and see how you did.  personally, any of the 3-D sonic games are super tough to get a solid full speedrun out of.
my name has nothing to do with Shadow The Hedgehog

Completed Runs:
Sonic Heroes: Team Sonic: SS
Rocket Knight Adventures: Easy (US): SS

In the Future:
Aero The Acrobat (Genesis) | More...

Offline PsyBorg

• The Whateverman
  • TSC Profile
  • macosx safari
  • the fine young doctor is headed this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 04:29:32 pm »
kumquat. definitely kumquat.

Okay, for a consecutive run it, it isn't half bad. I can't really rate as well because I, to be frank, have not really attempted a consecutive run before.  I'll just have to rate you how I felt you did overall with extra tolerance for your mistakes.

Mistakes. Plenty of them. I know it's a consecutive run, but I noticed some major mistakes, specifically in Glyphic Canyon. Your GC run did not really seem at a good level, mainly because you skipped several shortcuts, wasted several shots and attacks (i.e. you shoot a gun for no reason or you attack a regular black alien with an attack but don't KO it afterward for a hero gauge bonus), and in general sucked. From a regular point of view, that run's a failure. And from a consecutive run point of view, I think it would be categorized under "needs improvement". The frequency of mistakes is the highest in GC and you definitely should try to fix at least some parts of it. Despite the fact that you just seem to go slow at some parts, like the part with the platforms, it is "okay".

Your Egg Breaker is seriously lol. Press the B button faster, my man.

Your Egg Dealer is also lol but not as much, because it's a longer boss and the combination of what you get isn't exactly your choice. You score at least a minute away from where the current record is and you don't even attack the Egg Breaker when it falls down.

From a non-continous speedrun point of view, you sucked. From a continous speedrun point of view, you did somewhat good. I think you should practice the stages more before you upload something to the internet and call it a good speedrun, though. It wasn't your best. I can tell.

Also, may I kindly remind you that the path you took was A New Empire's Beginning, #164. Be sure to name the path you took correctly XD

but seriously. kumquat.
This signature was typed on a #@^%ING COMPUTER. Copy and paste this into your signature if you hate Sony and / or Bidoofs.

Offline Groudon

• Broseidon
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006, 04:53:57 pm »
A couple of those shortcuts, namely the spin dash jump, I skipped because of safety (didn't want to re-do and didn't want a death in the run).

The Egg Breaker one... Maybe I shouldn't keep mashing B during the time he gets down off the center...

Egg Dealer... one of my least favorite bosses... I actually didn't notice the weapon crates in the center (since it was a long time since I did this) until I got Ring Fever.

And sorry about the path name.  When I looked for the path name, I misjudged the final boss in the Library.

Offline PsyBorg

• The Whateverman
  • TSC Profile
  • macosx safari
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006, 05:10:05 pm »
Quote from: Groudon199
A couple of those shortcuts, namely the spin dash jump, I skipped because of safety (didn't want to re-do and didn't want a death in the run).

Practice, and I'm sure you'll be fine. I know the rings occasionally screw you up, but the shorcuts are well worth your practice.

The Egg Breaker one... Maybe I shouldn't keep mashing B during the time he gets down off the center...

Rest for a bit, but right before the end of the "oh i'm going to jump down from this crap" scene, begin  mashing B so you can stay at a somewhat consistant rate of fire.

Egg Dealer... one of my least favorite bosses... I actually didn't notice the weapon crates in the center (since it was a long time since I did this) until I got Ring Fever.

1. Then why did you pick this path? Pick a path you're comfortable with, man.
2. Er... w/e, but like I said, you should attack him whenever possible. The point I wanted to make was that when the Egg Dealer falls down to bomb itself, attack the cockpit for some extra damage.

And sorry about the path name. When I looked for the path name, I misjudged the final boss in the Library.

I could tell, but I just wanted to poke fun at that X)

If it's higher on the chart, it's the Dark boss. If it's lower, it's the Hero boss. Just remember that so I don't have to poke fun at you again.
This signature was typed on a #@^%ING COMPUTER. Copy and paste this into your signature if you hate Sony and / or Bidoofs.

Offline F-Man

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006, 06:43:48 pm »
Ooh, someone really good at this game (in the top 3) really should make a speedrun of this. It'd make the game look good for what it's worth.

Offline PsyBorg

• The Whateverman
  • TSC Profile
  • macosx safari
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2006, 10:40:12 am »
Ooh, someone really good at this game (in the top 3) really should make a speedrun of this. It'd make the game look good for what it's worth.

If I would, I could. You know the story well, so I won't repeat it.

yoshifan would probably be the one to do it, but he is not even close to being interested in Shadow anymore. Same for SJ. So you're out of luck, effy. :(

Offline magnum12

• Awesome Overlord of TMMC
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2006, 08:07:48 pm »
That's a shame, since I've been looking for help via strategies/videos for some of the stages that simply drive me crazy, i.e. The Doom (Dark), Mad Matrix (Hero), Space Gadget (Dark), Lost Impact (Hero), and Black Comet (Dark).
Ever know what its like to get pwned by a book? Sonic certainly does.

Offline Groudon

• Broseidon
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2006, 08:22:12 pm »
I can give you a bit of advice for Black Comet (dark).  If you can get Chaos Control at the same places SJ does in his Hero video and utilize the Shadow Rifle the whole time, you could get sub 5 (I've yet to do this, only because it's somewhat difficult).  As for the other levels, I would love help as well.  I assume CC is used in Space Gadget (Dark) and The Doom (Dark).  But for Lost Impact (Hero) and Mad Matrix (Hero), I don't really see how CC is very useful unless someone explains how (Mad Matrix [Dark] is a good CC mission, but I don't get Hero).  If no one submits a speedrun to SDA in 15 days, I'm doing a speedrun (if someone does a run and the path that person does is the same as the one I want to do, as long as half the level times are slower than mine, I'll do the run as well).

Offline yse

• Thrower of Gauntlets
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC: mike89
  • win10 chrome
  • Constitutions written: 1 and counting
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2006, 09:57:46 pm »
I haven't watched it, but a big :thumbsup: for the project anyway. I am always pro Sonic speedruns, it's another level up from standard TSC competition.

<3 Thorn.

Offline Shadow Jacky

• -Proprietor of /d/-
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • BEHOLD!
    • View Profile
    • I streams when on windows
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2006, 12:02:27 am »
I hope you shape up before you submit it to SDA...they have standards in their runs even for 1st timers and 1st vids of a specific game (although I dont know about 3-D sonic games).

Anyway, I saw part 1 and psyborg already told you whats wrong and I agree.  (especially GC blah).  Anyway, this game is super tough to get down and even if you do, some bullshit might happen.  I say you get the patterns and paths down, then go at a consistant pace. 

I sorta remember a couple of stages, but you see psyborg and yoshifan really took over Shadow since I stopped, so if you want some recent help, psyborg might be your only hope (or if yoshifan can remember his methods).

I might get back into this game, but its a really really really low might >_>
my name has nothing to do with Shadow The Hedgehog

Completed Runs:
Sonic Heroes: Team Sonic: SS
Rocket Knight Adventures: Easy (US): SS

In the Future:
Aero The Acrobat (Genesis) | More...

Offline F-Man

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2006, 07:42:48 am »

If I would, I could. You know the story well, so I won't repeat it.

yoshifan would probably be the one to do it, but he is not even close to being interested in Shadow anymore. Same for SJ. So you're out of luck, effy. :(
You can't even record to tape or DVD and send it off?

Print

Hits: 945 | Hits This Month: 5 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.08 MB | Time: 0.06s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.