don't click here

Thorn is born...

Print

Author Topic: Thorn is born...  (Read 4215 times)

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Former admin, lucid dreamer, lover of burgers
    • View Profile
Thorn is born...
« on: August 02, 2006, 04:45:46 pm »
...and RPGnütter, GS93, and Aitaman all die.  Don't be sad, just read on.  You didn't know them as well as you thought anyway.

From what I hear, most of you saw THIS in chat on Tuesday:

[22:30:36] <@CosmicFalcon> RPG you scared me
[22:30:40] <@CosmicFalcon> as in I looked at msn messenger
[22:30:41] <@CosmicFalcon> and it was like
[22:30:43] <RPG> WAIT
[22:30:43] <@CosmicFalcon> "Aitamen"
[22:30:44] <RPG> WAIT
[22:30:45] <RPG> SHUT UP
[22:30:46] <@CosmicFalcon> and I was like wtf what.
[22:30:47] <RPG> FAG
[22:31:00] <@CosmicFalcon> as in I don't know how but he is on my contact
[22:31:00] <@CosmicFalcon> as in I don't know how but he is on my contact list
[22:31:06] <@CosmicFalcon> what is up with that.
[22:31:06] <Chuck> RPG: who you trying to kid?
[22:31:10] <RPG> ...
[22:31:13] <RPG> Noone now.
[22:31:17] <Chuck> lol
[22:31:17] <@CosmicFalcon> XD

For those of you who haven't caught on yet, lemme explain (wall of text ahead, you have been warned).

In a three-way MSN conversation between Aitamen, RPG, and I (gs93), Aitamen said that I needed a new name that took less syllables to say.  RPG's router died again, and when he came back my name was changed.  He obviously knew it was me, but he still let out a mild "heh" and an "XD".  This gave us a great idea.  What if we all changed names?  We were clueless as to what to change to, so we chose the obvious: each other.  We spent about an hour, maybe one and a half, changing fonts, pics, avatars, the works.  There were some things we couldn't change: our post counts, and the forums wouldn't let us take each other's names, even after we switched to arbitrary names to free the names we wanted.  So we had to improvise.  Aitamen became GS93.  RPGnutter became Aitaman.  I became RPGnütter.

It started to go off without a hitch.  The first night, Aitaman and I dove right into chat.  RPG made sure that I opened with EGADS, and from there we used MSN to stage a fake Chaotix conversation.  I used the phrase "claim flags" to describe a record time, and SpinDashMaster chimed in saying Aitaman can't see the claim flags way out there in Texas.  So far, so good.  We ducked out after a few minutes because Aitaman had to sleep (which, in reality, he did).

Next day, I met GS93 online.  I explained what RPG and I did in chat last night, and he seemed to get a kick out of it.  He then told me that eredani had found out but had vowed silence.  Ah well, one person wasn't hurting anyone.  We practiced talking like our counterparts for a while, and I made some posts in the forum that, at the least, eggFL and douglas believed (or pretended to believe, at least; something tells me douglas was smart enough to know that the forum wasn't bugged).  The real problem came later on.  I turned to the New Competitions Suggestions topic to find that knuckles_sonic8 had not only noticed, but also made a post edit that drew attention to our little name change.  I immediately sent Aitaman an offline instant message, and luckily he was on within five minutes.  We discussed it, and we decided that the only way to get out of this one alive was to tell him the truth, since he obviously didn't realize that it was a prank.  I PMed him right away, and within 15 minutes his posts were gone.  Aitaman feared that the mods would notice the deletion and find out about us when they looked into the reason behind the deleted posts.  That was very possible.

Okay, so a few people knew about it.  But they all would likely keep their mouths shut.  There was still an entire forum to mess with.  Aitaman and I were still on MSN, and he asked if he could get back onto chat under "RPG".  We figured it wouldn't do any harm, since him being on there and talking as only he does could actually help the cause.  I left Aitaman a brb and went to eat dinner.  That's when the above messages were made.

Flarg.  Foiled.  At least 15 people were on chat, and most of them likely saw that.  Upon returning from dinner, I found that Aitaman had messaged me on MSN with the quotes from chat.  I fired an imaginary bullet at CosmicFalcon.  I couldn't believe it.... well, I could, but I was hoping to drag the joke out for a few more days.  We waited for GS93 to log onto MSN, but I ended up logging out and going to sleep before meeting him.

Upon logging on today, I found that Aitaman had changed back to RPGnutter.  The change must’ve been recent, for it was 2:30 PM where I was and I saw a post from 9 AM that addressed Aitaman.  GS93 remained unchanged.  I noticed he was logged into MSN, but was set to Away.  I decided that if he wasn’t on by 4:30, I’d go ahead and post this topic.  4:30 came, and I had another new topic that I felt I needed to post, so here’s the topic.  (EDIT: 10:30 PM now, and he's still set to Away.  Fall asleep with the computer on ftl?  He's still GS93, too.)

The best thing about being RPG for a while had to be posting in "beating SA2 without bounce bracelet".  It's great to be able to call yourself a pro and not have a reply that tries to shoot you down.  As RPG, I also had full rights to "O RLY?" and the right to call people nicknames.  I used "douggie" in the DIY contest topic, and apparently douglas didn't like that one, but he didn't mention the little name change that  I had, so apparently he figured RPG actually would do that. *gets shot by douglas*

Since the chatroom seems so familiar with fake Pokémon battles, you all know that the name trade led to boosted experience points.  Over the course of the prank:
-gs93 grew to level 8!  gs93 learned FLARG!
-gs93 grew to level 11!  gs93 learned EGADS!
-gs93 grew to level 16!  gs93 is trying to learn O RLY.  But gs93 can’t learn more than four moves.  Delete an older move to make room for O RLY? (Yes/No)  Which move should be forgotten?
     -N00B DISS, Type Normal, pp40
     -STFU, Type Ice, pp10
     -FLARG, Type Fire, pp25
     -EGADS, Type Psychic, pp5
1, 2, and... Poof!  gs93 forgot STFU.  And... gs93 learned O RLY!
-What!? gs93 is evolving!
-Congratulations!  gs93 evolved into Thorn!

…meh, that was over the top, but as of now, I officially change my name to "Thorn" and mean it.  Aitamen suggested that name when RPG's router crapped out before our misadventure, and I think it's actually kinda reflective of the whole thing.  Usually I don't have enough balls to get into the chatroom, but I finally put myself in there.  And I made a somewhat lame attempt to trick the less attentive people on the board.  I think I deserve a ballsier name now.  "Thorn" has spunk, but doesn't sound too high and mighty.  I love it.

Aitamen and ARRPEEGEE will probably see this topic and make their own comments.  They were really great at acting like each other and myself the whole time.  We gave each other assistance the entire way.

I wish all future pranksters better luck.

Peace,
~Thorn

EDIT2: I see that Aitamen is still listed as GS93.  C'mon, dude, post something, anything.  Don't leave me hangin' after that bitch of a rant.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 08:45:17 pm by Thorn »
<RPGnutter> Well I think your reasoning was dumb, so you get sassed
<RPGnutter> Thats how it works

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
Re: Thorn is born...
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 06:51:27 pm »
1) I didn't figure what was going on - I have in fact seen forum bugs that produce similar behaviour when you delete the first post in a topic.  I didn't really think about it, it was seen in passing.

2) I can't remember who I've told about it here, but I have a thing about being called Douglas or Doug.  Duggie, Doogie and other variants wind me up, iono why.  I did twig at that point though, RPG's far more likely to call me Doug that Douggie.
This topic has now been officially won by me.  Never mind, you might do better next time!
www.douglasgresham.co.uk - it's in the intarwebs, it must be true!

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006, 06:53:53 pm »
Ya rly, Id never call you Douggie, just Doug or FPS <_<
Did you not think I had a mind?

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 06:56:19 pm »
BOOM HEADSHOT!
This topic has now been officially won by me.  Never mind, you might do better next time!
www.douglasgresham.co.uk - it's in the intarwebs, it must be true!

Print

Hits: 245 | Hits This Month: 1 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1019.58 KB | Time: 0.12s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.