don't click here

Shadow question (Air Fleet Dark)

Print

Author Topic: Shadow question (Air Fleet Dark)  (Read 12088 times)

Offline Groudon

• 1 hour, 39 minutes, 52 seconds
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Groudon199
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
Shadow question (Air Fleet Dark)
« on: July 29, 2006, 08:51:01 pm »
I remember being told about this in the chat before, but I can't remember it.  There's a thing I heard about jumping off the stage at a point to restart the pod at a certain "segment."  Exactly what area is good for this, and how many shots with the S. Rifle does it take to bring down the pod?

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
Re: Shadow question (Air Fleet Dark)
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2006, 08:57:37 pm »
and how many shots with the S. Rifle does it take to bring down the pod?

A lot.
Did you not think I had a mind?

Offline Groudon

• Broseidon
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2006, 08:58:57 pm »
Okay...  A little more specific?

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2006, 09:02:22 pm »
I have no idea, I just filled one of the guages and mashed B till it asploded, heh

Offline Groudon

• Broseidon
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2006, 09:05:39 pm »
I just remember I was told about it in the chat.  Based on what you just said, I might be able to get sub 1:30 that way.

Offline magnum12

• Awesome Overlord of TMMC
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2006, 12:07:23 am »
I remember being told about this in the chat before, but I can't remember it.  There's a thing I heard about jumping off the stage at a point to restart the pod at a certain "segment."  Exactly what area is good for this, and how many shots with the S. Rifle does it take to bring down the pod?
That's the damage save glitch that applies to Lethal Highway (Hero), Air Fleet (Dark), and Iron Jungle (Hero). The use of the glitch was banned practically as soon as knowledge of it was made public.
Ever know what its like to get pwned by a book? Sonic certainly does.

Offline eggFL

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2006, 08:28:30 am »
It works like this. If you attack the target, and die, the target still has the damage.

The problem is, in these missions, the target continues to travel along the level, or that part of the level, even after you die. (it depends on the stage I think) The target waits for you to reach that part before it begins moving along that part. It will keep moving along that part until it reaches the end, then wait at the start of the part after that. This is all even if you die at any point.

But apparently Air Fleet is an exception. In Air Fleet, if the plane doesn't reach the end of the rail at the outside parts, and you die, then the plane will respawn from the start of that part. I decided to do my run by rushing the checkpoint before the first outside part, hitting the nearby shadow crate for a shadow rifle, unloading it, die, and keep doing it over and over from that checkpoint until the plane blows up.

In Iron Jungle, the blimp moves slowly, so I was able to do it a different way, by unloading a shadow rifle, dying, and so on, while the blimp is slowly moving past the checkpoint I am abusing. (but I still had to finish it off at the next part)

I'm almost certain this is allowed. Nobody told me it wasn't, even after a l33t helped me with it, and the competitors with the best times in these missions obviously took advantage of it. It makes sense to me since even a newbie would almost always inadvertantly end up completing the mission on their first time this way. Avoiding it would require a restart every time you lost a life. (restarting resets damage and target position)

However, the exploit that's not allowed is killing the target then killing yourself. If you time it right, your time will come up as 0:00 if you didn't get a checkpoint. (I accidentally did it this way myself, since it's a hassle to keep yourself alive after killing the plane in Air Fleet. I pulled out my memory card a.s.a.p. ^__^) According to the guide in this site, this expoit was used in Air Fleet. I don't know about other stages.

By the way, IMPORTANT!!: You can't rapid fire shadow rifle at the plane in Air Fleet. It's wasting ammo. (and therefore wasting lives) After each round that hits, the plane is invincible for a very brief moment. I wasn't able to get a nice time in this mission until I was told that in chat. (good thing I whined about shadow rifle feeling weak)

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2006, 09:24:42 am »
The use of the glitch was banned practically as soon as knowledge of it was made public.

I beg to differ. Its the dieing just as the mission clears thats not allowed, checkpoint abuse is perfectly legal. Its allowed everywhere else, so why make exceptions here?

Offline magnum12

• Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2006, 05:35:46 pm »
The dieing as the mission clears thing was what I was refering to as the glitch, not check point abuse itself.

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2006, 07:21:15 pm »
ah X)

*huggles Iron Jungle-Hero*

Offline magnum12

• Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2006, 09:56:06 pm »
Sorry RPG, but I just took the record for IJ (Hero). For me, using that trick took the fun out of TAing missions involving shooting down a vehicle.

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2006, 08:45:44 am »
I hate you.

Im going to get it back though :D

Offline Groudon

• Broseidon
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2006, 02:41:14 pm »
It works like this. If you attack the target, and die, the target still has the damage.

The problem is, in these missions, the target continues to travel along the level, or that part of the level, even after you die. (it depends on the stage I think) The target waits for you to reach that part before it begins moving along that part. It will keep moving along that part until it reaches the end, then wait at the start of the part after that. This is all even if you die at any point.

This I know about.

But apparently Air Fleet is an exception. In Air Fleet, if the plane doesn't reach the end of the rail at the outside parts, and you die, then the plane will respawn from the start of that part. I decided to do my run by rushing the checkpoint before the first outside part, hitting the nearby shadow crate for a shadow rifle, unloading it, die, and keep doing it over and over from that checkpoint until the plane blows up.

I did something like that for my run.

In Iron Jungle, the blimp moves slowly, so I was able to do it a different way, by unloading a shadow rifle, dying, and so on, while the blimp is slowly moving past the checkpoint I am abusing. (but I still had to finish it off at the next part)

That's pretty much what I did.

I'm almost certain this is allowed. Nobody told me it wasn't, even after a l33t helped me with it, and the competitors with the best times in these missions obviously took advantage of it. It makes sense to me since even a newbie would almost always inadvertantly end up completing the mission on their first time this way. Avoiding it would require a restart every time you lost a life. (restarting resets damage and target position)

However, the exploit that's not allowed is killing the target then killing yourself. If you time it right, your time will come up as 0:00 if you didn't get a checkpoint. (I accidentally did it this way myself, since it's a hassle to keep yourself alive after killing the plane in Air Fleet. I pulled out my memory card a.s.a.p. ^__^) According to the guide in this site, this expoit was used in Air Fleet. I don't know about other stages.

I finally did try the trick.  And I managed to complete it without dying after destroying the pod by waiting for it to pass the platforms that move in and out of the walls (okay, in a way, that didn't sound right), then shoot it.

By the way, IMPORTANT!!: You can't rapid fire shadow rifle at the plane in Air Fleet. It's wasting ammo. (and therefore wasting lives) After each round that hits, the plane is invincible for a very brief moment. I wasn't able to get a nice time in this mission until I was told that in chat. (good thing I whined about shadow rifle feeling weak)

And I found it out by looking at your comment.

I'm gonna give it another go soon.

edit:  Obtained 1:22.11
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 02:51:07 pm by Groudon199 »

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2006, 06:02:59 pm »
egg I rapid fire the Shadow Rifle X)

But then I die twice and bring it down so that one more shot will finish it off.

Also i got 0:20:29.

I win ^_^

Print

Hits: 174 | Hits This Month: 1 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.06 MB | Time: 0.11s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.