don't click here

A neat trick in the PC version of Sonic CD...

Print

Author Topic: A neat trick in the PC version of Sonic CD...  (Read 8308 times)

A neat trick in the PC version of Sonic CD...
« on: July 10, 2006, 11:06:04 am »
Wish that the past and good/bad futures were "Time Attackable" in some way? As in no 1-up boxes or Future/Past Signs? I've found out a neat way to get the Past/GoodF/BadF levels into "Time Attack mode." First, you need to put this in the file sonic.ini(run "sonic.ini" to get to the file).

[Secret]
User=Debugger

You also have to get the patch, but you might know where that is already. It will have the Debugger thing in the sonic.ini file already, but there will be some crap near the bottem that prevents the debugger from working. Just make sure User=Debugger is the only thing below [Secret].

Now, run Sonic CD, and then you'll notice that "Stage" and "FUNC" are now in the Toolbar thing.

NOTE: you may want to do this on a new file, so start a new game, then when you are at PP1, go to "Stage" click R8, then 3, then either C(GOOD) or D(BAD). Beat MM3 for the ending. Now all levels will be unlocked for Time Attack on the new file.

Now go to Time Attack, then, say we want to "Time Attack" Palmtree Panic 1 Past. Select any level you want(Palmtree Panic 1 is recommened if you want the PP1 Past time to be recorded, lets say the file your using is your "Past" file). Now, when you reach PP1, go to "Stage", pick R1, then 1, then B(A=Present, B=Past, C=Good Future, D=Bad Future). You'll now be in Palmtree Panic 1 Past, but there will be no Time Posts or 1-up boxes! This can be done on any level, and you can select any level in the time attack menu to get stuff started. When you beat the act, the time that you made will be recorded onto the level that you went via time attack screen.

Also note that when in the Good Future, the Bad Future music will play(For some reason though, at SS3 Good F, when you start racing Metal, the GF music will play).

This means with this trick, we can open Submissions for EVERY level in the game! And some tricks for the Present levels won't work for the other Time Zones, so this means theres over then 24 more levels to time attack!

-FireLaserBeam

« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 02:55:02 pm by FireLaserBeam »

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Former admin, lucid dreamer, lover of burgers
    • View Profile
Re: A neat trick in the PC version of Sonic CD...
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 12:19:38 pm »
Or, just go into the menus and turn TIMEWARP off.  Much easier than screwing with TimeAttack mode and potentially screwing up your records.  The signs'll be there, but they won't work.  And I doubt the 1UPs will get in the way.

But this isn't fair to GCN/PS2/Sega CD/ROM *gasp* players.  I have the PC version, but I don't want an unfair advantage.

On a side note, since you have the PC version, have you tried DLing the Japanese soundtrack and synching it with the PC one?  I did it in December and haven't gone back.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 12:40:33 pm by gs93 »
<RPGnutter> Well I think your reasoning was dumb, so you get sassed
<RPGnutter> Thats how it works

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 03:06:49 pm »
Or, just go into the menus and turn TIMEWARP off.  Much easier than screwing with TimeAttack mode and potentially screwing up your records.  The signs'll be there, but they won't work.  And I doubt the 1UPs will get in the way.

But this isn't fair to GCN/PS2/Sega CD/ROM *gasp* players.  I have the PC version, but I don't want an unfair advantage.

On a side note, since you have the PC version, have you tried DLing the Japanese soundtrack and synching it with the PC one?  I did it in December and haven't gone back.

But 1-up boxes will still be there. And did you read about "having a different file"? And 1-up boxes will get in the way in Palmtree Panic 2(Both Futures) and all of Stardust Speedway 1.

Past and Good/Bad Future Submissions should really be a "PC only" thing. Plus you can probably find the PC version somewhere on Ebay anyway.

BTW, I have tried the JPN soundtrack on PC version trick via burning the WAV files onto a CD. But the WAV music's volume doesn't synch with the in-game sounds, so is there anyway to make them "louder"? Also, I don't want to do anything illegal(I heard SEGA doesn't care, but still...), so I won't download the high-quality tracks, but is there a way to get all the high-quality tracks legally?

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 03:28:18 pm »
But the WAV music's volume doesn't synch with the in-game sounds, so is there anyway to make them "louder"?...
...is there a way to get all the high-quality tracks legally?
No, there's never a way to get anything good legally.  Haven't you noticed that yet?  The .wavs from Sonic ScreenSaver work as well, but you'll have to enter Sound Recorder and toy with the volume on each one.  It's worth it, though.

Plus you can probably find the PC version somewhere on Ebay anyway.
Do you know how hard it was to secure a copy of Chaotix on eBay?  And I'm still trying for Christmas NiGHTS... people with cable modems always steal the best deals with a second left on the clock.  You can't expect people to win on eBay.

And did you read about "having a different file"?
Yes, I did.  But when there's an in-game option for it, it seems stupid to go through this trouble.

And 1-up boxes will get in the way in Palmtree Panic 2(Both Futures) and all of Stardust Speedway 1.
It's called the down key.  You press it when running, and Sonic plows through the boxes.  I know, that's not a convincing argument, but maybe you're looking into this a bit too much...

Past and Good/Bad Future Submissions should really be a "PC only" thing.
And that's fair HOW?  Let's see who that leaves from the current bracket... you, me, and perhaps 7 or 8 others, most of whom have stopped playing Sonic CD.

I'm not trying to shut down your idea, but it's got some serious kinks to work out.  I mean, I'd love to submit for all time zones.  Although, Ring divisions in WW1 past would be pretty stupid (if you don't know why, you'll have to find out for yourself).

You wanna have a quoting war?  Bring it, bitch.  (just joking)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 03:31:39 pm by gs93 »

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2006, 04:39:07 pm »
lol, quote war

Do you know how hard it was to secure a copy of Chaotix on eBay?  And I'm still trying for Christmas NiGHTS... people with cable modems always steal the best deals with a second left on the clock.  You can't expect people to win on eBay.
Maybe your right about Ebay, but finding the PC version elsewhere isn't THAT hard...

It's called the down key.  You press it when running, and Sonic plows through the boxes.  I know, that's not a convincing argument, but maybe you're looking into this a bit too much...
But spining slows you down a little though... BTW, how many seconds into the "roll" does the speed start going down?

Past and Good/Bad Future Submissions should really be a "PC only" thing.
And that's fair HOW?  Let's see who that leaves from the current bracket... you, me, and perhaps 7 or 8 others, most of whom have stopped playing Sonic CD.[/quote]
While I think thats somewhat unfair, 1-up boxes and Time Signs don't get in the way in EVERY level. In fact, 1-up boxes may HELP in somelevels(I highly doubt any level can make use of this, but I will expairment...)Also, Mega CD version pretty much owns all of MM2 due to the "run on the ceiling" trick not working in the PC and Gems versions(if it does, tell me).

I'm not trying to shut down your idea, but it's got some serious kinks to work out.  I mean, I'd love to submit for all time zones.  Although, Ring divisions in WW1 past would be pretty stupid (if you don't know why, you'll have to find out for yourself).
I never noticed that rings respawned from the statue till now(I tested the statue while typing this :P), but maybe we can just "ban" the use of the statue. But Ring divisions aren't that fun to do anyway(the first time, it might, but after the first time, you'll never want to do it again). Anyway, I know this is somewhat unfair to Mega CD and Gems players, but this doesn't effect the current times we are using. Perhaps we can try to find a way around the 1-up boxes and time-posts? If you end up hitting a post at around the last 4 seconds to the end, nothing should happen.

What would be really great is if SEGA released an XP/Vista PC version of Sonic CD(for only $19.99) with the JPN soundtrack, and have the Past and Futures time attackable. Of course, this will never happen, but we can only dream...

BTW, got 0'18"66 in PP1 BF with Gems while typing this... If you care.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 04:42:06 pm by FireLaserBeam »

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2006, 04:53:39 pm »
A tip for Gems users:
Enter a level via level select and time warp.  You'll return to the title.  Now re-enter and head to the same post.  It no longer works.  So clear out the posts on your TA path, then play through and finish the level.

I can't help it, FireLaserBeam (can I just say FLB or something?).  It doesn't seem right to use a glitched method to enter the levels when there's an option in the game for it.  It'd be like a bracket for TAing Knuckles in Twinkle Park.

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2006, 05:36:31 pm »
It'd be like a bracket for TAing Knuckles in Twinkle Park.

To my knowledge I hold the World Record time there >_>
Did you not think I had a mind?

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2006, 05:41:57 pm »
Yeah.. While "glitched" methods do seem a bit odd, I just did run though quite a few levels, and it seems that Time Posts and 1ups don't seem to get in the way in some levels...

I really think that Past/Future submissions should be "just for fun"...

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2006, 05:45:27 pm »
...a.k.a. Freestyle.  You'd have to pester Rolken about that, and I wish you luck.

Offline yse

• Thrower of Gauntlets
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC: mike89
  • win10 chrome
  • Constitutions written: 1 and counting
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2006, 09:40:02 pm »
While the subject of WW1 is on the table, should that be removed from the ring and score charts if it can be maxed?

<3 Thorn.

Offline SadisticMystic

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2006, 09:42:41 pm »
The rule is no use of the Debugger menus.

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2006, 11:21:14 am »
^Hence why I proposed Freestyle.  It's the only time you can break the rules.

Print

Hits: 196 | Hits This Month: 1 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.06 MB | Time: 0.16s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.