don't click here

An interesting, unexpected event at Best Buy

Print

Author Topic: An interesting, unexpected event at Best Buy  (Read 6141 times)

Offline PsyBorg

• The Whateverman
  • TSC Profile
  • macosx safari
  • the fine young doctor is headed this way.
    • View Profile
An interesting, unexpected event at Best Buy
« on: June 26, 2006, 01:46:53 pm »
I normally don't talk about RL much here, but something kinda cool happened today, so I thought I'd mention it and hear what you think of it.

My dad was browsing around Best Buy to see if there was anything cool or new. He wanted to take me along in case there was anything he wanted so I could see it. I hadn't been in Best Buy much, but I knew where the games section was, at least, so I headed over to there.

When I got there, I noticed two DS Lite stands; one contained a New Super Mario Bros. demo, and the other was, strangely enough, a DS Lite with no cartridges entered in. For fun, I fooled around with the settings so that, in case they used the same DS again, it wouldn't boot up the game from the start, and it would take me to the DS Main Menu. I looked around me to see if anyone was watching, but then I realized a sign saying it was to be used for the DS Download demos that I usually could download in my local Gamestop. I now knew it wasn't just for nothing, but of course I knew it was a stupid move by Best Buy because now people could hAx up the DS a little.

But in the middle of all of this, I got an idea, for I also had my DS packed with MMBN6 Falzar and Sonic Rush with me just in case my dad took a trip to some other place. I realized that I had never tested the Download function of Sonic Rush (because most of my friends don't have Rush, and the ones who do wouldn't be willing to "test out" anything), which could supposedly download a demo of the game to another DS. I thought about it, and attempted a download to the Best Buy DS Lite stand.

Obviously, it worked.

I was testing out everything the demo could supposedly do from what I knew. I played the demo until the end, and also did the Multiplayer function simply for the purpose of exploration. It was fun, but I wanted to check out what games they had for sale in Best Buy. Just for the fun of it, though, I left the Single Player Sonic Rush demo there for people to try out. However, that produced an unexpected result while I was looking around the DS section.

A kid, probably about age 5-7, came over to play the game. I could tell he was playing the demo I put there because of the music and SE I heard. He was there a good amoutn of time, and, after watching him for a minute or two, I must say, for a first-trying regular kid of that age, he wasn't half-bad at Rush. He got used to the basic controls pretty quick and had lots of fun. But soon, his mother came over to him. She asked if he found something he liked. The boy said, "YES!", and the mother responded with something like "are you absolutely sure?". The kid said "yes, please please please mommy", and  "okay, but this will come out of your allowance". Soon, they got a Sonic Rush box at the DS section and went over to the counter to buy it.

So basically, if you were too bored to read all of that, I bore witness to the fact that I was indirectly responsible for the purchase of one copy of Sonic Rush. I left the demo there for others to try just for the hell of it, and I wanted to see what would happen next, but I had to leave Best Buy for our shopping trip.

So? Comments? Flames? Lollerwats? Cools? Whatever. I just wanted to share that interesting experience.
This signature was typed on a #@^%ING COMPUTER. Copy and paste this into your signature if you hate Sony and / or Bidoofs.

Offline eggFL

Re: An interesting, unexpected event at Best Buy
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 06:47:16 pm »
gj

Offline Shadow Wedge

• Unofficial never-be-first for SAdv
  • TSC Profile
  • winxp firefox
    • View Profile
    • http://IT DON'T EXIST ANYMORE
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2006, 09:32:51 pm »
... Hold start and select when you start up your DS. It will always go into the main menu. Voila.
<3 Sonic Rush, Sonic Riders, Sonic Rivals. Rolko-style encoding: StH JJ1 Tal+++! $++++ GM
Yes it's correct, that ! is there.

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Former admin, lucid dreamer, lover of burgers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2006, 09:47:47 pm »
^Just start should work.  And B button boots up the GBA pack.
<RPGnutter> Well I think your reasoning was dumb, so you get sassed
<RPGnutter> Thats how it works

Offline PsyBorg

• The Whateverman
  • TSC Profile
  • macosx safari
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2006, 12:04:03 pm »
... Hold start and select when you start up your DS. It will always go into the main menu. Voila.

I guess I should actually bother to read the DS manual sometime to learn this kind of stuff. :O
This signature was typed on a #@^%ING COMPUTER. Copy and paste this into your signature if you hate Sony and / or Bidoofs.

Offline magnum12

• Awesome Overlord of TMMC
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2006, 09:25:28 pm »
Good job. Perhaps in the future, I should try something like that with some DS game I like (Dawn of Sorrow, Advance Wars, Wario Ware).
Ever know what its like to get pwned by a book? Sonic certainly does.

Offline PsyBorg

• The Whateverman
  • TSC Profile
  • macosx safari
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2006, 05:19:23 pm »
So me and RPG aren't the only AW fans here? Heh, interesting...

Offline magnum12

• Awesome Overlord of TMMC
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2006, 08:54:06 pm »
I know a few other people in the team of developers for a WC3 parody map I'm in. (Named Satire Team, which was one of my ideas.) who are AW fans as well. To be honest, the DS version is my first experience with AW.
Ever know what its like to get pwned by a book? Sonic certainly does.

Offline Marth

• The SA Player
  • TSC Profile
  • linux firefox
  • It's me! In all my polygonal glory! ^_^
    • View Profile
    • Mark's Site Thingy- 3-D graphics and game info
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2006, 08:28:03 pm »
I did something kind of like that. When I was looking through bargain bins at Wal-Mart,
I pulled up a bunch of Sonic games (including SADX) and put them all on top of the messy pile.
That was probably a little less effective than the DS download thing, but hey...
maybe... just maybe... I got someone to buy the unfinished masterpiece that is SA! :D
maybe even a future time-attacker
Inactive member, but still... occasionally... checks his private messages and aging (former) records in SA.

Print

Hits: 737 | Hits This Month: 7 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.04 MB | Time: 0.06s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.