don't click here

New Sonic PSP game

Print

Author Topic: New Sonic PSP game  (Read 14220 times)

Offline Rolken

New Sonic PSP game
« on: May 03, 2006, 03:41:18 pm »
Sonic Rivals, apparently some kind of 2.5-d competition/racing platform game out this fall.

http://www.gamingbits.com/content/view/557/2/
StH JJ1 WkS+ Sal++^i Rbk++i Knu- McS+++ P++ D[af]opw $++++ E03 A24 GM CoUT
What fun is it being cool if you can't wear a sombrero?

Offline Crowbar

Re: New Sonic PSP game
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006, 05:41:06 pm »
Why do they keep talking about bring back the "classic 2D platform gameplay that started it all" when they already fucking did that with Advance years and years ago?

Either way looks kinda neat and hopefully it'll be as awesome as Rush but I'm not getting a PSP anyway so I won't be able to play it. :(
« Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 05:22:30 am by Crowbar »

Offline Magnezone

• Broseidon
  • TSC: SkyLights
  • win7 firefox
  • YOU CAN PROBABLY READ MY POSTS BETTER NOW
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006, 05:50:37 pm »
Looks... bland.

Some of the textures and models look just a bit familiar, and there doesn't seem to be much of a variety of level design in these screenshots... just like "omg, 3D paths for Sonic to run on". The impression I'm getting is that the developer is depending on the graphics and another player to make the game interesting enough to play.

But of course, these are just screenshots... I need to see the game in motion before I say anything else about it.

Offline PsyBorg

• The Whateverman
  • TSC Profile
  • macosx safari
  • the fine young doctor is headed this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2006, 06:13:39 pm »
It has Shadow.

And it looks fun.

I'm almost convinced to buy a cheap used PSP along with this.
This signature was typed on a #@^%ING COMPUTER. Copy and paste this into your signature if you hate Sony and / or Bidoofs.

Offline Rolken

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2006, 07:08:51 pm »
Some of the textures and models look just a bit familiar, and there doesn't seem to be much of a variety of level design in these screenshots... just like "omg, 3D paths for Sonic to run on". The impression I'm getting is that the developer is depending on the graphics and another player to make the game interesting enough to play.
This is my impression as well, especially given that it's an arbitrary third party developing it. I really hope it turns out not to be the case, but it looks like at least branching paths are probably out, given the whole race mechanic...

Offline magnum12

• Awesome Overlord of TMMC
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2006, 08:59:54 pm »
Since E3 starts in 1-2 weeks, we'll find out how promising this game is. Based on the concept, I think that this is the way Sonic racing games should have been made. At least the controls for this game will most likely be good, unlike my experiences with Sonic Riders. (The worst controls that I have ever played on a racing game.)
Ever know what its like to get pwned by a book? Sonic certainly does.

Offline Shadow Wedge

• Unofficial never-be-first for SAdv
  • TSC Profile
  • winxp firefox
    • View Profile
    • http://IT DON'T EXIST ANYMORE
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2006, 09:12:19 pm »
>_> Here's for hoping for records by default.
<3 Sonic Rush, Sonic Riders, Sonic Rivals. Rolko-style encoding: StH JJ1 Tal+++! $++++ GM
Yes it's correct, that ! is there.

Offline magnum12

• Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2006, 01:21:14 am »
I just checked out some screen shots at IGN. The robot designs from Sonic Heroes will be used.

Offline eggFL

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2006, 02:17:58 pm »
I only saw those 5 screenshots. It's just a pale boring 'green' level showcasing a 1-on-1 race in 2D. Not enough to make a judgement there.

btw that flying eggman bot is getting to look annoying at this point. I didn't think they'd use Heroes models for so long. jeez

Anyway the game's premise seems to be focused on 2-player racing. For that reason, it will be at least pretty good. I look forward to that. It never seemed creative, but for a side release on a handheld, you wouldn't want them to overextend a good storyline anyway.

Offline Comma Doo

• Pimpslice Nugga Toes
  • TSC: commadoo
  • winxp chrome
  • Oh, new competition!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2006, 05:04:05 pm »
I just hope it isnt a dissapointment. I've never wanted a PSP before today... and sadly, I now want one for this.
Uh... Spank my ass and call me a... Wow, i could really say anything here and it'd still be funny. Time to make or break myself, in a field that seperates the boys from the men. Well... uh... hm...... PANDA!

Offline Marth

• The SA Player
  • TSC Profile
  • linux firefox
  • It's me! In all my polygonal glory! ^_^
    • View Profile
    • Mark's Site Thingy- 3-D graphics and game info
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2006, 05:57:16 pm »
I kind of hope it is a disappointment. That way, I won't be missing much*. (I don't even have a DS.)
If it is good, they'd better include it in one of their Sonic collections for Revolution a few years from now.

I've been getting pretty upset about these Sonic games. First, they make a game that'll probably
exclude just Revolution. Now, they make a game just for Playstation Portable!
SEGA had better release 4 more Sonic masterpieces only for Revolution to make up for this.

*Yeah, I know that's kind of selfish. :( Still, they shouldn't keep doing this. It's rude and annoying
to Nintendo players, and they know that their games were successful on GameCube.
Inactive member, but still... occasionally... checks his private messages and aging (former) records in SA.

Offline eggFL

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2006, 09:22:16 pm »
Marth, no need to be mad that Sonic Next is excluding Revolution. It's true that Gamecube is the console of choice for Sonic fans now, but that doesn't mean we have to pick Nintendo again from the next consoles. I'll just follow Sonic wherever he ends up.

On the other hand, I was disappointed that Sonic was going to get a game on Revolution at all. Because this means if I want to play both games, I would have to get both systems. Ouch!

Also, Sonic Rivals being on PSP does bite. I don't specifically hate Sony products, but this does mean I would have to get more systems just to be able to complete all the new games. I didn't even get a DS for Sonic Rush yet, but now I'm gonna have to choose which would I rather have between Rush or Rivals, unless I want to overextend my wallet.

I guess Sega wants to spread Sonic to all the markets for maximum selling power. Overwhelming for us, though.

Offline Rolken

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2006, 10:13:50 pm »
Yeah, basically nobody is gonna have all the nextgen Sonic games at this rate. I know hardly anyone with both a PSP and DS, let alone Wii and 360/PS3 too.

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
  • I am a follower of the immortal Dark Falz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2006, 01:11:25 am »
The only truely bad thing about this idea, as stated, was that it is yet another system I have to get.  Regardless of all the current BS, I'm already under enough strain, since I'm 16, can't yet find a job, and I have to do free-lance work (mostly last-minute math homework or reports for other people) to get any money for games.  Luckily, my friend is lending me all the Genesis Sonic games, and both SA games.  I picked up SAdva 1&2 for a total of 10 bucks off an N fan at school, and I'm still looking for both 3 and for a GG for another chunk of the games...

So I'm just barely up to the 5th gen... and now we're entering 8th gen... how entertaining... and Sonic seems to be everywhere...

But ya know what?  I'm a Sonic fan... always have been, always will be... and even though 3D sonic isn't my thing, me and my friend were just talking about something like Rivals.  I'm going to get all the systems of Sonic, and I'm going to do so happily, for if it wasn't for Sonic, I'd be dead (long story), and I wouldn't know how to tie my shoes ^_^

The Aitamen
Year 33 — The Malkavians claim that their greatest practical joke happened during this year, when they perform a bit of graverobbing  in Jerusalem.
-- Vampire: The Masquerade

Offline magnum12

• Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2006, 08:44:24 pm »
Yeah, basically nobody is gonna have all the nextgen Sonic games at this rate. I know hardly anyone with both a PSP and DS, let alone Wii and 360/PS3 too.
The issues with the Wii and 360/PS3 might not be as big an issue as we think for the following reasons.
1. The Wii is most likely going to be pretty cheap compared to the other systems.
2. With the launch of the PS3 around the holidays, we can make an accurate prediction that the X-Box 360 will receive a price drop as part of Microsoft's competitive strategy.

Offline CosmicFalcon

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2006, 04:29:40 am »

Considering the apparent cheaperness of the Wii, and the amount of time that will have passed since Xbox360 owners will have bought their X360s, it wouldn't surprise me if many people owned a Wii along with their other consoles. I mean, it's not exactly like GCN/PS2/Xbox where initial prices were in the same ballpark. PS3 is rumoured to be muchly more expensive, and Wii muchly less.
"A graph of cf's coolness as age increases would be exponential." - Stefan [14:26, 2008/08/23]
"I now realise that CF is complete and utter win." - Cruizer [13:46, 2009/10/23]

Offline Rolken

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2006, 06:14:36 pm »
360 and Wii, sure. 360 and Wii and PSP and DS, not so often.

Offline yse

• Thrower of Gauntlets
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC: mike89
  • win10 chrome
  • Constitutions written: 1 and counting
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2006, 01:58:52 am »
I mean, it's not exactly like GCN/PS2/Xbox where initial prices were in the same ballpark.

Say what?

I'm not sure about over in Pommyland, but over here the PS2 launched at $750 (I think the Xbox did too - and MS were still losing money on it), and the GameCube launched at $330.

<3 Thorn.

Print

Hits: 267 | Hits This Month: 4 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.17 MB | Time: 0.11s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.