don't click here

BEST. EMAIL. EVER.

Print

Author Topic: BEST. EMAIL. EVER.  (Read 9229 times)

Offline yse

• Thrower of Gauntlets
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC: mike89
  • win10 chrome
  • Constitutions written: 1 and counting
    • View Profile
BEST. EMAIL. EVER.
« on: August 18, 2006, 03:41:58 am »
Ya rly, folks.

HELL EXPLAINED BY CHEMISTRY STUDENT

The following is an actual question given on a University of Washington chemistry mid-term.

The answer by one student was so "profound" that the professor shared it with colleagues, via the Internet, which is, of course, why we now have the pleasure of enjoying it as well :

Bonus Question: Is Hell exothermic (gives off heat) or endothermic (absorbs heat)?

Most of the students wrote proofs of their beliefs using Boyle's Law (gas cools when it expands and heats when it is compressed) or some variant. One student, however, wrote the following: First, we need to know how the mass of Hell is changing in time. So we need to know the rate at which souls are moving into Hell and the rate at which they are leaving. I think that we can safely assume that once a soul gets to Hell, it will not leave.

Therefore, no souls are leaving. As for how many souls are entering Hell, let's look at the different religions that exist in the world today. Most of these religions state that if you are not a member of their religion, you will go to Hell.

Since there is more than one of these religions and since people do not belong to more than one religion, we can project that all souls go to Hell. With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls in Hell to increase exponentially.

Now, we look at the rate of change of the volume in Hell because Boyle's Law states that in order for the temperature and pressure in Hell to stay the same, the volume of Hell has to expand proportionately as souls are added.

This gives two possibilities:

1. If Hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls enter Hell, then the temperature and pressure in Hell will increase until all Hell breaks loose.

2. If Hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in Hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until Hell freezes over. So which is it? If we accept the postulate given to me by Teresa during my Freshman year that, "It will be a cold day in Hell before I sleep with you," and take into account the fact that I slept with her last night, then number two must be true, and thus I am sure that Hell is exothermic and has already frozen over. The corollary of this theory is that since Hell has frozen over, it follows that it is not accepting any more souls and is therefore, extinct......leaving only Heaven, thereby proving the existence of a divine being which explains why, last night, Teresa kept shouting "Oh my God."

THIS STUDENT RECEIVED THE ONLY "A"

(I posted this in the chat earlier today, but I wanted to put it here so everyone got to see it.)

<3 Thorn.

Offline PsyBorg

• The Whateverman
  • TSC Profile
  • macosx safari
  • the fine young doctor is headed this way.
    • View Profile
Re: BEST. EMAIL. EVER.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 08:16:18 am »
This guy is really creative. It gave me a good laugh.

Seriously, though, why would this be on an exam?
This signature was typed on a #@^%ING COMPUTER. Copy and paste this into your signature if you hate Sony and / or Bidoofs.

Offline eggFL

LET'S PERPETUATE STUPIDITY FOR GIGGLES!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 08:36:16 am »
Why is that question on a mid-term? Do people go to school to learn actual knowledge or be shitted around with mini-games and riddles? What's the purpose of this question. Someone must have been bored and thought it was cute. There's no right answer to that question and it's outrageous to tease students with points awarded selectively. Or is the point of this question to reward creativeness or inventive thinking? In other words, thinking of cheap comedic answers like this one.

Offline General Throatstomper

• I can't think of anything witty :(
  • TSC: blueblaze
  • win8 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2006, 03:55:00 pm »
It was funnier when I saw it in a Bash quote a year ago.

And even then, it was only worthy of a brief raising of the eyebrows.

I HOPE YOU DO

Offline Spinballwizard

• TSC Purist
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • That's enough of that.
    • View Profile
    • WSBW GameCenter
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 04:04:57 pm »
In short, yes. Creative/inventive/logical thinking.

That is pro. Though I'm surprised there isn't an ongoing lawsuit for bringing matters of religion into a science class.
<Tails> also "GET BLUE SPHERES" on a black-and-white TV remains the best special stage of all time

<Achlys> wat ave you done!
<Spinballwizard> apparently killed your h key

Offline Shadow Wedge

• Unofficial never-be-first for SAdv
  • TSC Profile
  • winxp firefox
    • View Profile
    • http://IT DON'T EXIST ANYMORE
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 09:06:10 pm »
Please note, eggFL, that that is a bonus question. And as such it is still possible to get 100% without needing to get that one right. Also, it was funnier on bash.org a year ago :x
« Last Edit: August 19, 2006, 09:06:46 pm by Shadow Wedge »
<3 Sonic Rush, Sonic Riders, Sonic Rivals. Rolko-style encoding: StH JJ1 Tal+++! $++++ GM
Yes it's correct, that ! is there.

Offline eggFL

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2006, 12:58:38 am »
I know it's a bonus question, but you're still giving points for it. You're selectively picking out which of the dumb answers that students wasted time answering, and awarding them points based on which answers are more 'hay thats clever lol' to you. This email isn't even funny.

Offline Spinballwizard

• TSC Purist
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • That's enough of that.
    • View Profile
    • WSBW GameCenter
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2006, 09:55:13 pm »
Way to say exactly what Dale said, SWedge. :x
<Tails> also "GET BLUE SPHERES" on a black-and-white TV remains the best special stage of all time

<Achlys> wat ave you done!
<Spinballwizard> apparently killed your h key

Offline PsyBorg

• The Whateverman
  • TSC Profile
  • macosx safari
  • the fine young doctor is headed this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2006, 09:02:20 am »
Way to say exactly what Dale said, SWedge. :x

I may be dumb for asking this, but who is dale?
This signature was typed on a #@^%ING COMPUTER. Copy and paste this into your signature if you hate Sony and / or Bidoofs.

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2006, 01:08:10 pm »
Dale=genus
Did you not think I had a mind?

Offline General Throatstomper

• I can't think of anything witty :(
  • TSC: blueblaze
  • win8 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2006, 03:40:12 pm »
Time to refer to myself in the third person!

Dale=genus=SuDont=slim=blueblaze=DaleG=DaleG491=BannanaCat=AppleChicken=massdecoder12=finishingblow=themastersmasherofss=sonichedgehog=mrgenesis=blueninja=ixilite4

A written deevolution of most of the non-embarrasing and non-incriminating nicks that I've used. I would only post once or twice somewhere before leaving. Until I found TSC.

And now that you know my secret, you must die.

I HOPE YOU DO

Offline maggot

• If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • old-school 2D pwnage
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2006, 03:47:13 pm »
I read that e-mail in a site some time ago.
Not bad. Once I tried to do something like that in a test, but I got a big 0 :(
you can run, but not fast enough...

Print

Hits: 209 | Hits This Month: 1 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.08 MB | Time: 0.09s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.