don't click here

possible book idea...

Print

Author Topic: possible book idea...  (Read 9093 times)

Offline qubit

possible book idea...
« on: December 14, 2005, 02:28:16 pm »
Looking at how accurate many of the guides are on the site, I was thinking that we could have one guide for each mission recorded by TSC for Sonic Adventure 2: Battle and put it online as one publication: Sonic Adventure 2: Battle for Dummies (Written by Champions, for n00bs)

Anyway, discuss.  Come here to praise my idea or laugh in my face.  Your choice.  Also, don't forget to submit your guides to the TSC Guides section.

Just an idea.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2005, 05:08:49 pm by theenglishman »
Me: Do you find it odd that CF's top two loves rank last in his Bouncy rankings? x_x
mike89: yes. yes i do.
mike89: but then i find CF odd.
Me: so do I.

The odds of meeting a TSCer randomly on the street, at any given time anywhere in the world, is approximately 15,785,611 to 1 ... and growing.

Offline SadisticMystic

possible book idea...
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2005, 02:53:51 pm »
Or Sonic Adventure Strats Central?

Would it be set up for random-access viewing, or sequential?  Would we need to include "The Hunting Essentials" nine times (at the start of each applicable level) or just once or twice?  If only once, the other eight levels are inevitably going to have unusually short walkthroughs and they'll be completely neglected, drowned out by the long guides.

Offline qubit

possible book idea...
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2005, 02:57:06 pm »
Or Sonic Adventure Strats Central?

Would it be set up for random-access viewing, or sequential?  Would we need to include "The Hunting Essentials" nine times (at the start of each applicable level) or just once or twice?  If only once, the other eight levels are inevitably going to have unusually short walkthroughs and they'll be completely neglected, drowned out by the long guides.
[snapback]8137[/snapback]

Having a strats central is a good idea.

I personally think that it should start with the chapter "Time Attacking Basics: The Least You Need to Know" which includes things like how to do Sonic's spindash-jump, Tails' no-jump hover, Rouge's glide-screw kick-glide etc, including hunting essentials.
Me: Do you find it odd that CF's top two loves rank last in his Bouncy rankings? x_x

The odds of meeting a TSCer randomly on the street, at any given time anywhere in the world, is approximately 15,785,611 to 1 ... and growing.

Offline Buizel

• Stay classy.
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Psyknux
  • win81 mozilla
  • 許しませんっ!
    • View Profile
    • The Faec >:O!!!
possible book idea...
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2005, 04:17:46 pm »
*praises theenglishman's idea*

Sonic Adventure 2: Battle for Dummies (Retarded People Only!)? I think you could have come up with a better name... >_>

A strats central sounds like a good idea. Won't this take quite a bit of effort, though?
Hay guiz, I made a table showing how many points each game tracked by TSC is worth. You should go see it.
Also v2.0 of my TSC calculator is available to use. You should totally use it.
I update these every Monday around 2:30pm GMT.

Offline qubit

possible book idea...
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2005, 05:08:09 pm »
*praises theenglishman's idea*

Sonic Adventure 2: Battle for Dummies (Retarded People Only!)? I think you could have come up with a better name... >_>

A strats central sounds like a good idea. Won't this take quite a bit of effort, though?
[snapback]8139[/snapback]

w00t I feel loved.

Well,I think that a book, or at least a PDF file, would be better, if one user takes the responsibility of editing all the guides (for grammar, etc.) and putting them together.

I was thinking Rolk could do it ONLY IF HE WANTS TO.

Offline Rolken

possible book idea...
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2005, 03:42:19 am »
One of the various things on my to-do list is killing TSC's guide system and replacing it with a general content management system for guides, strats, bios, articles, etc that allows things like collaboration, graphics etc. I've mostly mapped it out, I just haven't gotten around to it.

Another is replacing the video system with a general media system, which I've been planning on since I was designing TSC3 and so is inherent to the way the database is designed. Nobody ever expressed interest tho so I haven't bothered yet. :o
« Last Edit: December 15, 2005, 03:44:24 am by Rolken »
StH JJ1 WkS+ Sal++^i Rbk++i Knu- McS+++ P++ D[af]opw $++++ E03 A24 GM CoUT
What fun is it being cool if you can't wear a sombrero?

Offline yse

• Thrower of Gauntlets
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC: mike89
  • win10 chrome
  • Constitutions written: 1 and counting
    • View Profile
possible book idea...
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2005, 03:54:45 am »
Another is replacing the video system with a general media system, which I've been planning on since I was designing TSC3 and so is inherent to the way the database is designed. Nobody ever expressed interest tho so I haven't bothered yet. :o
[snapback]8147[/snapback]

Which means what exactly? As in, what media other than videos are we talking here?

<3 Thorn.

Offline Spinballwizard

• TSC Purist
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • That's enough of that.
    • View Profile
    • WSBW GameCenter
possible book idea...
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2005, 03:29:53 pm »
[snapback]8147[/snapback]

Which means what exactly? As in, what media other than videos are we talking here?
[snapback]8149[/snapback]
Mike are you slow or something? 3.5 gave us that general media section. You know, with the vids, guides, maps, and crap.

Isn't that what you meant Rolk?

And Andy that doesn't necessarily mean you'd have to SUBMIT the strats...
<Tails> also "GET BLUE SPHERES" on a black-and-white TV remains the best special stage of all time

<Achlys> wat ave you done!
<Spinballwizard> apparently killed your h key

Offline Rayku

possible book idea...
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2005, 05:20:08 pm »
I don't feel like working or anything. Plus, when I was in serious heat of competition no one ever told me anything I wanted to know:

'Hey what's HB3? I have no idea, and I love the level can you please give me how you did that?' "No, now go away"

So I don't really agree with it. Just sounds unfair, I worked hard for where I got and I don't want some random person just coming up using all the creative things the champs made

Offline qubit

possible book idea...
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2005, 05:28:14 pm »
I don't feel like working or anything. Plus, when I was in serious heat of competition no one ever told me anything I wanted to know.
[snapback]8164[/snapback]

I seem to remember you used to have a rather good Final Chase 1 guide...

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
possible book idea...
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2005, 08:27:25 pm »
I don't know, the whole whoring out strats thing concerns me. I mean, a magician never reveals his secrets y'know? Sure magicians (i.e. champs) trade tricks between themselves but the general public is never to know.

Okay so we're not magicians but still, a large part of playing sonic competitively is having the uninitiated worship you as a god. Once they know how we do it, all of a sudden we lose our power!!

Sorry, but for me the idea doesn't quite work. Maybe a rough 'tips' guide, but revealing strats gets a big fat thumbs down from me :(
[snapback]8152[/snapback]

I dunno, Ninty's Leaf Forest 1 vid still makes me go "Man, he's good"
This topic has now been officially won by me.  Never mind, you might do better next time!
www.douglasgresham.co.uk - it's in the intarwebs, it must be true!

Offline Rolken

possible book idea...
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2005, 12:50:04 am »
Okay so we're not magicians but still, a large part of playing sonic competitively is having the uninitiated worship you as a god. Once they know how we do it, all of a sudden we lose our power!!
[snapback]8152[/snapback]
I would venture that a complete description of how to own a game is far more impressive than a simple time (if it's even believed). Especially when coupled with videos. Also note that there is a huge difference between knowing how something is done and achieving it.

But nobody'd be forced to participate anyway.

Mike are you slow or something? 3.5 gave us that general media section. You know, with the vids, guides, maps, and crap.

Isn't that what you meant Rolk?
[snapback]8161[/snapback]
Nope; that was mostly the same as the old sections with cleaner organization. A true media section would have better submissions capabilities (ie, ability to edit/update - and also submit more than just vids) and a more general range of file type options (pdfs, images, vids prolly covers it) with more information on each submission, better inclusion with the rankings and other such niftiness.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2005, 12:50:42 am by Rolken »
StH JJ1 WkS+ Sal++^i Rbk++i Knu- McS+++ P++ D[af]opw $++++ E03 A24 GM CoUT
What fun is it being cool if you can't wear a sombrero?

Offline Marth

• The SA Player
  • TSC Profile
  • linux firefox
  • It's me! In all my polygonal glory! ^_^
    • View Profile
    • Mark's Site Thingy- 3-D graphics and game info
possible book idea...
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2005, 11:02:12 am »
I've been making a SADX guide with everything from basic walkthroughs
to missions to time-attacking, and I'm giving away some secrets.
There are enough to make the A Missions really easy
(and to make beginning players decent time-attackers), but I'm keeping
a few to myself, at least for now. (Sonic Windy Valley, Amy Hot Shelter)

Anyway, anyone who wants to give away their secrets for the SA2 guide can,
and anyone who wants them to stay secret can keep them that way.
And, yeah, really super-good guides and videos can make people say "Man, he's good!"
Another thing: If you don't want to give your best tricks, you can give second-best strategies to replace those sections.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2005, 11:03:54 am by Marth »
Inactive member, but still... occasionally... checks his private messages and aging (former) records in SA.

Offline Rayku

possible book idea...
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2005, 04:26:34 pm »
I made that Final Chase guide because everyone wanted to know how I got 20 seconds ahead, and I'm suckered into things like that really easily...

Offline qubit

possible book idea...
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2005, 06:24:52 pm »
If we can do videos and guides on the site, why not books?  It seems kind of contradictory about people supposedly "whoring out" strategies when we've already done that.

Er...

/me flee

Print

Hits: 132 | Hits This Month: 2 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.13 MB | Time: 0.06s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.