don't click here

Willing to help the competion?

Print

Author Topic: Willing to help the competion?  (Read 4963 times)

« on: December 15, 2005, 08:28:27 pm »
Anyone willing to lend some techniques/tips/ and such. Espeially with advance 2 the only act i can do ok is the first one e_e;(got a time of around 40 secs)

*discuss*?
Currently TAing: SA2:B, Sadv2, Sadv3.
Only Record as of now: Sadv3/Sunset Hill Zone/Act1/ 00:37:95

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2005, 09:41:45 pm »
Anyone willing to lend some techniques/tips/ and such. Espeially with advance 2 the only act i can do ok is the first one e_e;(got a time of around 40 secs)

*discuss*?
[snapback]8172[/snapback]

Okay, Advance 2.

Firstly, you have to learn the game.  There are various little things to the engine, like if you jump on the exact point of a slope change you go further/faster/higher, or if you're jumping out of water at speed you'll go majorly high when you break the surface.  An important technique is jumping straight up by hitting the button at the crest of a half-pipe, definitely one to practice.

Next you have to master the art of keeping the boost going once you've established it.  This is absolutely essential for competitive times in Advance 2, and the only way to get good is to practice.  Best tips I can think of currently are to keep jumps flatish as severe angles can sometimes cause stop-dead, and to use speed boosters as much as possible.

You also have to know the fastest route through each level to get the most out of it.  If there's already a video of a fast run of that level, watch and memorise.  If not, play that level to death until you find the fast route (and when I say to death, I've spent hours on one act figuring it out - Egg Utopia 1 had me trying for ages).

It's worth knowing all the moves of every character too - it's particularly important you master the air dash if you want to get good times with Sonic.

Can I suggest you first watch NintenDan's video of Leaf Forest 1 (Sonic) - it's got all the stuff I've mentioned in it done pretty much perfectly.

Good luck!

Douglas

ps You'll have to ask RPG for boss tips, he destroys me at them :)
This topic has now been officially won by me.  Never mind, you might do better next time!
www.douglasgresham.co.uk - it's in the intarwebs, it must be true!

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2005, 02:54:46 am »
Pfft, I only destroy you at XX Zone :P
Did you not think I had a mind?

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2005, 07:05:30 am »
OK, Thanks for all that. But i can't see to get that thing about jumping out of the half pipe or w/e. U mean jump when it curves to go up straight right?

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2005, 08:20:40 am »
OK, Thanks for all that. But i can't see to get that thing about jumping out of the half pipe or w/e. U mean jump when it curves to go up straight right?
[snapback]8181[/snapback]

Yeah, that's the bunny.

I'm gonna do a major recording session over the holidays, any requests for zone videos?
This topic has now been officially won by me.  Never mind, you might do better next time!
www.douglasgresham.co.uk - it's in the intarwebs, it must be true!

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2005, 09:46:55 am »
Any zones you can do really well that aren't posed yet would be fine. The hardest ones for me are the Music Plant zones though.

And are u in the ranking for adv 3? could u make some new vids for that too maybe?

Oh, and I figured out the "bunny"

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2005, 10:36:04 am »
Any more tips for the first zone? I cant break 35 sec >.<

Offline Spinballwizard

• TSC Purist
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • That's enough of that.
    • View Profile
    • WSBW GameCenter
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2005, 02:27:28 pm »
Any zones you can do really well that aren't posed yet would be fine. The hardest ones for me are the Music Plant zones though.
[snapback]8184[/snapback]
I just HATE Music Plant. NintenDan has a video up for that too, but it's near impossible to follow. As for lowering your time, just practice. I was stuck at ~35 seconds on LF1 for a while before I finally got down to 32.

As douglas mentioned, keeping Boost Mode is essential. I'd say in LF1 there are 2 points where it's hard to keep Boost Mode:
1. About 6-8 seconds in, you reach that halfpipe and have to jump. You have to time your airdash so that you don't get TOO much height (because that wastes about half a second or more), but if you go too low, you lose boost mode and your whole run is ruined. Most of this is trial and error.
2. The other part I often lose Boost Mode is right after the underwater part. As I jump off the swing and into the ramp, my naturally bad timing lands me right on top of one of the robots. Embarassing, yeah.

The only other tip I can provide is to practice your airdashes. I still generally suck at them, but on a straightaway (like the one that follows #1 above), you should be able to get at least 3 airdashes there. You don't have to be as fast as the video there; that's almost unnatural speed.

Advance 3 I'm not so good at. I only have one decent time, Ocean Base 1. The main tip there is to use your ground tag action (as Sonic+Tails) quite often, as the level is more vertical than horizontal. I can't remember the exact strat off the top of my head, as I haven't played it in a few months, but you should be able to get under a minute if you do it at the right places.

I'd make a vid, but I don't have an easy method to.
<Tails> also "GET BLUE SPHERES" on a black-and-white TV remains the best special stage of all time

<Achlys> wat ave you done!
<Spinballwizard> apparently killed your h key

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2005, 11:19:24 am »
The only other tip I can provide is to practice your airdashes. I still generally suck at them, but on a straightaway (like the one that follows #1 above), you should be able to get at least 3 airdashes there. You don't have to be as fast as the video there; that's almost unnatural speed.
[snapback]8192[/snapback]

Ive squeezed in 5 on a few occasions, forked the runs after that point though D:
Did you not think I had a mind?

Print

Hits: 152 | Hits This Month: 1 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.08 MB | Time: 0.05s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.